Removing water from the hydraulic oil.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cmb7684

While I'm still working on other issues on my 763 I wanted to post a question about removing water from the hydraulic system. The guy I bought the machine from was not 100% honest as over time from talking to some of his helpers I was told conflicting information by all of them so who knows what to believe. Regardless its all my headache now.
When I first bought the 763 it would start and run but had hydraulic problems. The hoses on the lift cylinder were busted and spitting hydraulic fluid. I remember watching it come out and as milky apparently it had water in it but was a lot more oil than water. The guy said he had a worker who started working on it and stopped and he didn't need the equipment any longer as he as getting out of the construction business. Later I came into contact with others who worked for him. One said he owed someone money for storage that was messing with his equipment. Another said the machine had hydraulic issues but he wasn't sure what they were. All are drunk so who knows at this point.
As I track the hydraulic issues to get them sorted out, I have dropped all the hydraulic oil and refilled it with new oil 3 times including new filter in the engine compartment. While The oil is mainly still all oil when I run it, if I look in the hydraulic oil tank it is still a little cloudy and has tiny bubbles.
So at this point I don't know how it got in there to start with. It could have been the guy he owed money to that sabotoged it by putting water in his tank but find it hard to buy since none of the other fluids had it in it and not that I would do that but if it was me that was going to do that I would certainly pick sand instead. It may be that he left the cap off and water got in that way. Who knows but at this point it doesn't matter.
Is there an additive I can but in that will dry that water out? What is the best method to use? Also what is the proper way to pump all of the oil out or the machine? I do not think you can run it dry but if you add oil as a flush then you may never get all the water out?

[email protected]

i think i have heard of people putting in cheap motor oil in it then pumping it out via aux hydraulics over and over till it comes out clean. but let some more experienced people weigh in because i have never personally done it and could be off lol

budtoh3zo

i think i have heard of people putting in cheap motor oil in it then pumping it out via aux hydraulics over and over till it comes out clean. but let some more experienced people weigh in because i have never personally done it and could be off lol
When I would swamp a motor I would fill just with at least half diesel because it absorbs water and has some lubricant. In motors I would fill it run it for a couple seconds drop it out and refill with clean oil and be good to go. Not sure if it's a good idea with hydraulics or not but it is one.

When I would swamp a motor I would fill just with at least half diesel because it absorbs water and has some lubricant. In motors I would fill it run it for a couple seconds drop it out and refill with clean oil and be good to go. Not sure if it's a good idea with hydraulics or not but it is one.
I think I have water in the hydraulics of my old 530. I have changed it a few times and can not seem to get it to come out clear. It still has a slight milky look to it. I took some of the drained oil and let it sit for a few weeks to see if the water and oil would seperate and it never did. I don't understand that one. It seems I also have hydraulic oil getting in my engine as well. Again I don't know how, but guessing it's thru the coupling of the engine to the pump. I plan on this fall pulling the hyd. tank out and cleaning it completely then draining all the cylinders and some how flushing out the pump and hydrostatic to get it clean.

OldMachinist

I think I have water in the hydraulics of my old 530. I have changed it a few times and can not seem to get it to come out clear. It still has a slight milky look to it. I took some of the drained oil and let it sit for a few weeks to see if the water and oil would seperate and it never did. I don't understand that one. It seems I also have hydraulic oil getting in my engine as well. Again I don't know how, but guessing it's thru the coupling of the engine to the pump. I plan on this fall pulling the hyd. tank out and cleaning it completely then draining all the cylinders and some how flushing out the pump and hydrostatic to get it clean.
Running engine oil thru the system for a while will help. Engine oil is designed to absorb water(emulsify) and hydraulic oil is designed for water to settle out.

OP
OP
C

cmb7684

Running engine oil thru the system for a while will help. Engine oil is designed to absorb water(emulsify) and hydraulic oil is designed for water to settle out.
OLD machinist ...straight motor oil or mixed with the oil in it now? Also What weight do you suggest and is there a brand that might absorb more than another?

OldMachinist

OLD machinist ...straight motor oil or mixed with the oil in it now? Also What weight do you suggest and is there a brand that might absorb more than another?
You would want to remove as much of the contaminated oil as possible and then use what ever brand of 10w30 or 10w40 engine is the cheapest you can get. I don't know of any one brand that will absorb more moisture. Be sure to change the filter/filters.

Tazza

Staff member
You would want to remove as much of the contaminated oil as possible and then use what ever brand of 10w30 or 10w40 engine is the cheapest you can get. I don't know of any one brand that will absorb more moisture. Be sure to change the filter/filters.
I have done it that way, drain all you can out the aux couplers, shut down. Drain the oil filter and add about 5-10 litres of fresh motor oil. Run it, lift tilt and drive. Drain out the aux couplers again and drain the filter. Repeat till the oil is a golden colour.
I did this to a 753 that had white oil, it took about 4-5 changes to get it rite.