Rebuilding 743 front bucket tilt cylinder question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
the stops were like shim plates that bolted to the boom tip and limited the travel , not all machines had them from the factory , don't see why it couldn't be a plate welded to the boom ---------------------another thing that will bent the rod is not having a restrictor on the down side of the cylinder fitting when using a grapple or heavy attachment , heavy weight will make the bucket or attachment drop fast and jerk , on older machines like the 43 series we always installed the restrictor ( which Bobcat dealers sell ) , it a fitting that goes between the cylinder fitting and the hose that allows unrestricted flow in the tilt up postion and an orifice inside the fitting slows the down stroke to protect the downward surge that will cause rod damage
On the older style, they are blocks that are welded to the inside on the arms near the bottom of the bobtach. On the newer style the end of the arms have like a lip that contacts the bobtach to stop it, hard to explain but once you see it you will understand.

mllud

On the older style, they are blocks that are welded to the inside on the arms near the bottom of the bobtach. On the newer style the end of the arms have like a lip that contacts the bobtach to stop it, hard to explain but once you see it you will understand.
On the information Fishfiles gives on restricting the return flow to slow down the boom droping to fast..
To the people that have experimented with restrictors . If the inside diameter is 3/8 how much would you decrease the diameter to start. I guess it depends on how fast its droping and how much you want to slow it down.
Any sugestions on where to start.
Are there adjustable ones that practical for this aplication ? My other brand machine drops faster than I like. The pedal will control it but ocasionally with a load I over shoot with the peddle. {Touchy}
Mike

Tazza

Staff member
On the information Fishfiles gives on restricting the return flow to slow down the boom droping to fast..
To the people that have experimented with restrictors . If the inside diameter is 3/8 how much would you decrease the diameter to start. I guess it depends on how fast its droping and how much you want to slow it down.
Any sugestions on where to start.
Are there adjustable ones that practical for this aplication ? My other brand machine drops faster than I like. The pedal will control it but ocasionally with a load I over shoot with the peddle. {Touchy}
Mike
I'd start at about 1/8" then work up from there, or even try and plumb in an adjustable one.

langoley

Does anyone have a picture showing where they welded on stops on the 743?
Yes Tazza,Centurian also can say that the lack of stops and a heavy 4-1 bucket can,and WILL pull the piston off of the tilt cylinder ram !!!

dannym

I have some pics Tazza sent me, send me an e-mail, and I will send them to you.
I would like to see those pictures also. Could you send to me at [email protected]? As always, I really appreciate all the help this forum has provided me. When I got my 743, I didn't have any background or knowledge of it. I am now very comfortable doing whatever task on the Bobcat. Everything I've learned was from reading this forum. Thanks...........

dannym

I would like to see those pictures also. Could you send to me at [email protected]? As always, I really appreciate all the help this forum has provided me. When I got my 743, I didn't have any background or knowledge of it. I am now very comfortable doing whatever task on the Bobcat. Everything I've learned was from reading this forum. Thanks...........
Thanks Ceturion for the pics.... Dannym

Fishfiles

Glad I could be of help. If anyone else needs the pics, just let me know.

Fred
mllud , I just seen your post on restrictors , my local dealer has recomended and sold them for 25 years or more on 43 series machines using grapples , hammers and heavy attachments , having been service manager at a rental yard I seen a bunch of the chrome rod threads pulled off ,the rods bent and broke in two and the gland nut pulled out the casing , it is two fittings together to make one , it's about 2 1/2 inches long and screws onto the fitting on the cylinder and the hose on the other end , it doesn't have any effect tilting the bobtack up only down , there is a round disc inside the fitting that is held in place with a pin , the disc has a hole in the middle of only about 3 /16 but the disc fits very loose and can move in and out about 1/4 inch so it is hard to judge how much restriction takes place , they newer machines have an oriffice in the controll valve , the Bobcat part numbers you would need and are still available are 6631698 restrictor @ $27.44 and 1312113 swivel fitting @ $ 16.58 , I'd say it's insurance money well spent

perry

mllud , I just seen your post on restrictors , my local dealer has recomended and sold them for 25 years or more on 43 series machines using grapples , hammers and heavy attachments , having been service manager at a rental yard I seen a bunch of the chrome rod threads pulled off ,the rods bent and broke in two and the gland nut pulled out the casing , it is two fittings together to make one , it's about 2 1/2 inches long and screws onto the fitting on the cylinder and the hose on the other end , it doesn't have any effect tilting the bobtack up only down , there is a round disc inside the fitting that is held in place with a pin , the disc has a hole in the middle of only about 3 /16 but the disc fits very loose and can move in and out about 1/4 inch so it is hard to judge how much restriction takes place , they newer machines have an oriffice in the controll valve , the Bobcat part numbers you would need and are still available are 6631698 restrictor @ $27.44 and 1312113 swivel fitting @ $ 16.58 , I'd say it's insurance money well spent
Dang! Fish, wish I had known about that restrictor, I welded up the inside of a 90 degree fitting and drilled a 1/8 hole. My grapple arm was moving way too fast. I keep that part # just in case.
Thanks

mllud

Fishfiles
That looks like what I need. I usually can control lowering speed well . I dont like banging or jerking anything. Unesessary wear and tear. I rebuilt the pivot bearings in the foot peddles and the linkages are tight. Cutting my maximun lowering speed in half would be fine with me.
Mike

Bobpuddy

Can the restrictor be used on the boom as well? My arms drop very quickly and it is sometimes difficult to be easy with the pedal. Also I removed my tilt cylinder today and when I started pushing the rod in and out to remove the oil after the hoses were disconnected, I heard a thump sound. I looked up and noticed all the oil that was in the cylinder is now in my new seat. I suggest slipping a couple rubber hoses over these lines because they point up.

skidsteer.ca

Can the restrictor be used on the boom as well? My arms drop very quickly and it is sometimes difficult to be easy with the pedal. Also I removed my tilt cylinder today and when I started pushing the rod in and out to remove the oil after the hoses were disconnected, I heard a thump sound. I looked up and noticed all the oil that was in the cylinder is now in my new seat. I suggest slipping a couple rubber hoses over these lines because they point up.
You could use a restictor orrifice, but I'd recommend a flow restrictor valve, this way you could "spin the dial" until you achieved the speed you desired, rather then remove the orrifice and drill it again and again until you get it there.
Flow valves are @ $50.00
Ken

Bobpuddy

You could use a restictor orrifice, but I'd recommend a flow restrictor valve, this way you could "spin the dial" until you achieved the speed you desired, rather then remove the orrifice and drill it again and again until you get it there.
Flow valves are @ $50.00
Ken
Thanks for that advice. Also I wonder if something is missing in my valve control block. Is it normal for the boom to drop very quickly?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for that advice. Also I wonder if something is missing in my valve control block. Is it normal for the boom to drop very quickly?
When the oil is warm and thin, yes they can drop rapidly, especially if you have a load in the bucket.

Bobpuddy

Flow valves are @ $50.00
Ken
I like the idea the dial. Would you happen to know a brand and part number for the correct valve? Also where would you recommend it be placed for control of the boom drop ? Thanks