Questions on a Bobcat 440B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcat440d

I just bought a Bobcat 440B and I have a few questions about it. First, a little backround....This is the first skid steer I've ever owned (or driven), so I'm not familar with them at all. I've owned an older Massey full size backhoe for about 6 years, so I'm not totally new to this kind of equipment, but I know nothing about skid steers. These are used around the house only, I'm not a contractor or anything like that. I'm mechanically inclined and work on my own equipment. I own a muscle car and motorcycles, so I frequently go to forums for help and advise. I was glad to find this site and spent a lot of time reading the posts last night. I must say that what you guys have going here is very good, I learned a lot (but I didn't see any posts on the questions I have!). The 440 is in pretty good shape and has a replacement engine in it. The previous owner said he had to replace the engine because fuel 'leaked' into the carb and engine when it sat for a few weeks, and when he started it the engine "blew". The Kohler sticker on the M18QS engine says 'Export or Replacement Engine', so I'm sure he's telling the truth. He put a ball valve on the fuel line to shut the fuel off so it wouldn't happen again. I've gone over it pretty good - pressure washed it, changed the spark plugs and oil, and greased everything. I really haven't found anything wrong in that respect. The old plugs looked good, the old oil looked good, and it took grease in every fitting. I think it was well maintained. Here are my questions.... It has Titan HD 2000 Rim Guard tires on the front and Solideal tires on the back. All four are 23x8.5-12 six ply tires and all four have 4/32 tread. But the front tires are 23 1/4" high and the rears are 22" high. Does it matter that the front tires are 1-1/4" taller than the rear tires? Standard tire size listed in the specs is 5.70x12, is a 23x8.5 the same or at least ok? It has 'herky-jerky' big time (bobs up and down). On a hard surface it's really bad, on dirt it's not so bad and easier to get under control. Is the unequal tire diameter causing this, or is it something else? Is there any way I can determine what year this is? The previous owner guessed it was a 1981, but he wasn't sure. Thanks for the help guys, it's very much appreciated!

Tazza

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

From what i can see, your machine was built between 1986-1995. You can probably call your dealer with your serial number for an exact year.

First of all, i would change the engine oil and hydraulic filter just so you know where you are on maintenance and write the date and hours on the filter so you know when you need to change them again.

As for your tires, they should both be the same diameter! if not, the front or back tires will be doing more work. This puts excessive load on your drive chains and can break them. This is why when you change tires you never replace just one, you must do a complete side at a time. Without a load, and moving over un-even ground its normal for the machine to bounce around. Its worse if you have solid tires, you feel every single bump! If you bounce around alot, try moving slower and see how you go. Being such a small machine, i think the fact its so light it will bounce around a little no matter what you do.

I hope this of at least a bit of help.

OldMachinist

Your 440 is very similar to my 453 and the 23x8.5-12 is an optional tire size on the 453. The different tire diameters could be causing some of the herky-jerky. 1 1/4" dia. difference equals 4" on the circumference. I would move them around so that you have the same diameters on each side. Also check the air pressure. One or more low tire can make it bounce.
Some of the problem could also settle down once you get used to the controls. Try driving it around at half throttle a while with a small load in the bucket low to the ground just to get a feel for it.
Let us know how it works out

OP
OP
B

bobcat440d

Your 440 is very similar to my 453 and the 23x8.5-12 is an optional tire size on the 453. The different tire diameters could be causing some of the herky-jerky. 1 1/4" dia. difference equals 4" on the circumference. I would move them around so that you have the same diameters on each side. Also check the air pressure. One or more low tire can make it bounce.
Some of the problem could also settle down once you get used to the controls. Try driving it around at half throttle a while with a small load in the bucket low to the ground just to get a feel for it.
Let us know how it works out
Thanks for the replies. First of all, why was my post one big paragraph? I didn't type it that way. I hope this one isn't either. Do I have to use HTML for new paragraphs? I put 35 psi in all of the tires when I was going over it, so I know that's ok. When I said herky-jerky, I should have said bounces up and down so bad it'll shake a filling loose! I understand what you guys are saying about taking it easy and driving around with different loads, but it's more than that. I may be new to these, but this is over the top. I can control the loader and drive it smooth, but at times it will start suddenly start bouncing up and down like a cheap wh....well, it just bounces a lot...and this is while going over my smooth, flat lawn. I can get it under control by returning the levers to neutral and start going again, I just think this is above normal. I'll try moving the larger tires to the same side and see what happens. I'm still wondering what the difference between a 5.70 and a 23x8.5 is. As I said before, I changed the engine oil (and wrote the date on it). I changed the hydraulic filter today (the old filter had a 7/05 date hand written on it). The loader doesn't have an hour meter on it, should it have come with one? After spending a lot of time cleaning this machine last weekend, I was more than a little upset when hydraulic oil poured out of the old filter as I was unscrewing it! I assumed the oil flowed out of it when it wasn't running. The service manual I got with the machine doesn't have instructions on filter changing. Is the 7/16" or 1/2" bolt in the center of the block the filter screws onto a drain plug? Too late now, but I'd like to know so the next time I replace the filter I'm not cleaning up more spilled oil. Do I now need to bleed the hydraulic system? If so, how do I do that (again, the service manual doesn't cover that). My next questions are going to be on buckets and attachments, but I'll save that for another post. Thanks again guys!

owensge

Thanks for the replies. First of all, why was my post one big paragraph? I didn't type it that way. I hope this one isn't either. Do I have to use HTML for new paragraphs? I put 35 psi in all of the tires when I was going over it, so I know that's ok. When I said herky-jerky, I should have said bounces up and down so bad it'll shake a filling loose! I understand what you guys are saying about taking it easy and driving around with different loads, but it's more than that. I may be new to these, but this is over the top. I can control the loader and drive it smooth, but at times it will start suddenly start bouncing up and down like a cheap wh....well, it just bounces a lot...and this is while going over my smooth, flat lawn. I can get it under control by returning the levers to neutral and start going again, I just think this is above normal. I'll try moving the larger tires to the same side and see what happens. I'm still wondering what the difference between a 5.70 and a 23x8.5 is. As I said before, I changed the engine oil (and wrote the date on it). I changed the hydraulic filter today (the old filter had a 7/05 date hand written on it). The loader doesn't have an hour meter on it, should it have come with one? After spending a lot of time cleaning this machine last weekend, I was more than a little upset when hydraulic oil poured out of the old filter as I was unscrewing it! I assumed the oil flowed out of it when it wasn't running. The service manual I got with the machine doesn't have instructions on filter changing. Is the 7/16" or 1/2" bolt in the center of the block the filter screws onto a drain plug? Too late now, but I'd like to know so the next time I replace the filter I'm not cleaning up more spilled oil. Do I now need to bleed the hydraulic system? If so, how do I do that (again, the service manual doesn't cover that). My next questions are going to be on buckets and attachments, but I'll save that for another post. Thanks again guys!
Welcome to the forum. To get your paragraphs to look like you want them to look, you need to click on the "profile" link at the top of the page and make sure you check "Enable HTML editor" that should do it....
Again welcome!

OP
OP
B

bobcat440d

Ok, lets see if that worked, here's my post again..........

Thanks for the replies. First of all, why was my post one big paragraph? I didn't type it that way. I hope this one isn't either. Do I have to use HTML for new paragraphs?
I put 35 psi in all of the tires when I was going over it, so I know that's ok. When I said herky-jerky, I should have said bounces up and down so bad it'll shake a filling loose! I understand what you guys are saying about taking it easy and driving around with different loads, but it's more than that. I may be new to these, but this is over the top. I can control the loader and drive it smooth, but at times it will start suddenly start bouncing up and down like a cheap wh....well, it just bounces a lot...and this is while going over my smooth, flat lawn. I can get it under control by returning the levers to neutral and start going again, I just think this is above normal. I'll try moving the larger tires to the same side and see what happens. I'm still wondering what the difference between a 5.70 and a 23x8.5 is.
As I said before, I changed the engine oil (and wrote the date on it). I changed the hydraulic filter today (the old filter had a 7/05 date hand written on it). The loader doesn't have an hour meter on it, should it have come with one? After spending a lot of time cleaning this machine last weekend, I was more than a little upset when hydraulic oil poured out of the old filter as I was unscrewing it! I assumed the oil flowed out of it when it wasn't running. The service manual I got with the machine doesn't have instructions on filter changing. Is the 7/16" or 1/2" bolt in the center of the block the filter screws onto a drain plug? Too late now, but I'd like to know so the next time I replace the filter I'm not cleaning up more spilled oil.
Do I now need to bleed the hydraulic system? If so, how do I do that (again, the service manual doesn't cover that).
My next questions are going to be on buckets and attachments, but I'll save that for another post. Thanks again guys!

OP
OP
B

bobcat440d

Ok, lets see if that worked, here's my post again..........

Thanks for the replies. First of all, why was my post one big paragraph? I didn't type it that way. I hope this one isn't either. Do I have to use HTML for new paragraphs?
I put 35 psi in all of the tires when I was going over it, so I know that's ok. When I said herky-jerky, I should have said bounces up and down so bad it'll shake a filling loose! I understand what you guys are saying about taking it easy and driving around with different loads, but it's more than that. I may be new to these, but this is over the top. I can control the loader and drive it smooth, but at times it will start suddenly start bouncing up and down like a cheap wh....well, it just bounces a lot...and this is while going over my smooth, flat lawn. I can get it under control by returning the levers to neutral and start going again, I just think this is above normal. I'll try moving the larger tires to the same side and see what happens. I'm still wondering what the difference between a 5.70 and a 23x8.5 is.
As I said before, I changed the engine oil (and wrote the date on it). I changed the hydraulic filter today (the old filter had a 7/05 date hand written on it). The loader doesn't have an hour meter on it, should it have come with one? After spending a lot of time cleaning this machine last weekend, I was more than a little upset when hydraulic oil poured out of the old filter as I was unscrewing it! I assumed the oil flowed out of it when it wasn't running. The service manual I got with the machine doesn't have instructions on filter changing. Is the 7/16" or 1/2" bolt in the center of the block the filter screws onto a drain plug? Too late now, but I'd like to know so the next time I replace the filter I'm not cleaning up more spilled oil.
Do I now need to bleed the hydraulic system? If so, how do I do that (again, the service manual doesn't cover that).
My next questions are going to be on buckets and attachments, but I'll save that for another post. Thanks again guys!
Ok...learning.......

OldMachinist

Ok...learning.......
Yes there should be a drain plug on the side of the filter block to drain the filter prior to removal.
The 5.70 tires are 23" dia., have a 5.70" section width and mounted on 12" x 5" rims. These tires are very narrow and are for mostly hard surface work.
The 8.50" tires are 23" dia. have a 8.50" section width and mounted on 12" x 7" rims These are what Bobcat calls flotation tires so you can work on soft surfaces without sinking too much.
Here is a link that explains tire numbering systems. http://dunlop.buffnet.net/tt101_sizing.html

OldMachinist

Went back and reread your post and saw that I missed one of your questions. The hydraulic system is suppose to purge the air on its own by cycling the lift and tilt thru full strokes. You may have to cycle it turn it off and let it sit awhile and then do it again to get all the air.

Sunnybrk

Good Morning I am also a new member and a first time skidsteer owner. My best friend and I bought this machine from her fathers estate when he passed. We both have horse barns and thought this looked like the perfect size for us to push "stuff" around on the farms. Where can we find an owners manual, we were unable to find the original in her fathers belongings.

OldMachinist

Good Morning I am also a new member and a first time skidsteer owner. My best friend and I bought this machine from her fathers estate when he passed. We both have horse barns and thought this looked like the perfect size for us to push "stuff" around on the farms. Where can we find an owners manual, we were unable to find the original in her fathers belongings.
A Bobcat dealer will sell you one or you can get one here http://www.ssbtractor.com/tractor_manual_display.cgi?m=Misc. Tractors&o=Melroe Bobcat 440B
They also show up on Ebay every once in a while.
If you have something you need to know right now ask a question in a new post and someone here should be able to help.