Questions about Loegering VTS

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

500K_773

I am looking at purchasing either a Bobcat S300 or a Cat 268B. I need the tires with chains in the winter time, but want tracks in the summer. Since I need floatation, I am looking at the Loegering VTS. The front rollers on the VTS offer more of a blunt track in the front vs. the Bobcat and Cat designs. Is this beneficial? Is it easy to climb over obstacles such as logs or embankments? Bob Horrell, how much did you pay for your VTS? It looks like your S250 uses the same model as the S300. Obviously, I will pay more frieght here in Alaska, but I would like to see how good of a price my dealer is going to quote me. I don't think Loegering sells direct to consumer, but I'll e-mail them in the morning. The Cat dealer thought the VTS system was great and would even be less expensive to buy a wheel skidsteer and add the VTS vs. purchasing Cat's track machine. The Bobcat dealer was kind of suprised when I asked him to price getting me the Loegering VTS rather than buying a T300. He understood it better when I told him my concerns of traction with the T300 on packed snow and ice.

Bob Horrell

I did some homework before buying my S250 and found out the only difference between the S250 and S300 is a weight kit and injectors; every thing else is identical (same frame, body, engine, hydraulics, etc.). Some of the S300 weight kit is in the rear door and makes working on hills harder due to the cantilever effect. I installed axle weights which don't cause problems on hills and have never found a need for the extra 6 HP the injectors give even when using the ATS tracks. Even if I bought injectors and installed them I would be way ahead cost wise versus an S300 price. The VTS tracks for large machines cost $15,000 plus tax and shipping. Loegering has factory reps so if you don't have a dealer near you, you can go through the factory rep. That is what I had to do. Loegering just introduced the ATS system for smaller machines and announced they will cost $12,000 and will be available in 90 days. You are right, the ATS tracks will traverse objects much better than any other track machine because of the large frontal area. The suspended front end helps also. One time when I was filling in some bad trenches dug from our torrential rains here in California, I experimented a little with seeing how much of a straight sided trench I could approach from a ninety degree angle and climb out. I was amazed what it could do. It will climb right up a straight sided trench to the point where it feels it will flip over backwards (I chickened out on one tall one when it felt like I was straight up and down, because I was sure I would be on my back, or would lose hydraulic power, or stall the engine). Before I bought my tracks I talked to a company that tested for ATS using an S300. They also had 2 CAT track machines. The owner of the company told me his guys tried endlessly to make the ATS tracks come off like would happen occasionally with the CAT machines and never could get it to happen. There are certain conditions to avoid with some track machines because it caused them to lose tracks. One he described to me was coming down a hill with a full bucket and turning sharply. He said his guys also liked the suspension of the ATS better than the CAT. He was going to sell his CAT track machines and buy CAT skid loaders with ATS.

OP
OP
500K_773

500K_773

I did some homework before buying my S250 and found out the only difference between the S250 and S300 is a weight kit and injectors; every thing else is identical (same frame, body, engine, hydraulics, etc.). Some of the S300 weight kit is in the rear door and makes working on hills harder due to the cantilever effect. I installed axle weights which don't cause problems on hills and have never found a need for the extra 6 HP the injectors give even when using the ATS tracks. Even if I bought injectors and installed them I would be way ahead cost wise versus an S300 price. The VTS tracks for large machines cost $15,000 plus tax and shipping. Loegering has factory reps so if you don't have a dealer near you, you can go through the factory rep. That is what I had to do. Loegering just introduced the ATS system for smaller machines and announced they will cost $12,000 and will be available in 90 days. You are right, the ATS tracks will traverse objects much better than any other track machine because of the large frontal area. The suspended front end helps also. One time when I was filling in some bad trenches dug from our torrential rains here in California, I experimented a little with seeing how much of a straight sided trench I could approach from a ninety degree angle and climb out. I was amazed what it could do. It will climb right up a straight sided trench to the point where it feels it will flip over backwards (I chickened out on one tall one when it felt like I was straight up and down, because I was sure I would be on my back, or would lose hydraulic power, or stall the engine). Before I bought my tracks I talked to a company that tested for ATS using an S300. They also had 2 CAT track machines. The owner of the company told me his guys tried endlessly to make the ATS tracks come off like would happen occasionally with the CAT machines and never could get it to happen. There are certain conditions to avoid with some track machines because it caused them to lose tracks. One he described to me was coming down a hill with a full bucket and turning sharply. He said his guys also liked the suspension of the ATS better than the CAT. He was going to sell his CAT track machines and buy CAT skid loaders with ATS.
Bob,
I checked with my dealer and the S250 was $1,800 less than the S300. How much were your axle weights? Were these for the front or rear axles? I'm undecided if the 6 HP difference is worth ~$1,500 (guess axle weight about $300).

Bob Horrell

Bob,
I checked with my dealer and the S250 was $1,800 less than the S300. How much were your axle weights? Were these for the front or rear axles? I'm undecided if the 6 HP difference is worth ~$1,500 (guess axle weight about $300).
You are right. The weights are about $300 and install on the rear. If you want the extra 6hp, you can buy the injectors for about the same price and they are very easy to install. I have never found a need for the 6 hp. You can always change injectors if you decide you need more hp.