Potential Machine Purchase

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Idoitall

I've been busy with some home remodel projects, but finally getting back around to looking for a machine. It will be for general use just for me around the place.

I'm going tomorrow to look at a 1996 753 at a used equipment dealer. It appears to have been repainted, has new tires all around, a smooth faced bucket, a new seat, 1650 hrs., 43 hp Kabota engine, and aux. hydraulics. The price, $8500, is in my range. I'll find out the history, hoping that it hasn't been around fertilizer or chicken houses, as many are here in the Southeast.

I have a few questions on what to look for and ask about besides the usual leaks, weld repairs, pin ware and boom arm slop, rust, smoking, whinning, creeping, oil color, etc. First, will this model be a "computer free", or is there a BICS or similar system. I' want to own a machine that is more user friendly and I have read about lots of issues with all the newer computerized and joystick machines. Will this machine have the shaft or sideways belt drive to the pumps? What is the lift capacity and the aux. flow rate on a '96 753 in case I wanted to use an auger, etc? I don't know if the machine is or not, but in general, would I be OK purchasing a former rental machine since they most likely maintain and service them and also keep them dependable?

I'll appreciate your input as I know that many of you have a lot of experience with these machines.

bobcat_ron

Those little 753"s are amazing. The ROC is 1300 LBS and 14 GPM I believe that last time I had one, an auger works extremely well on one. As far as the BCIS, it never gave me any problems, just the odd relay switch from the safety seat switch, nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
I

Idoitall

Those little 753"s are amazing. The ROC is 1300 LBS and 14 GPM I believe that last time I had one, an auger works extremely well on one. As far as the BCIS, it never gave me any problems, just the odd relay switch from the safety seat switch, nothing to worry about.
Ron,

Thanks for the reply. You mentioned having no issues with BICS, so are you saying that this machine does have that?

I looked at the machine this afternoon. It looks very good for a '96, although it has had a recent paint job and new tires (10-16.5 8 ply). I showed up unannounced and it cranked right up cold, no smoke, smooth idle. The boom and bucket are tight and the grease fittings show recent use. The bucket (smooth/welded face) appears new, not just painted, but I think that it could be a lower priced bucket because the sides are only 1/8" or 3/16" at the most. Just looks a little thin to me.

All the gauges work, but of course there is no way to verify the hours as actual. All cylinders are leak free. The machine drives well with no unusual whining or growling, turns and spins OK, no creep, etc. I stuck the bucket in a dirt pile and the engine loaded up fine without stalling. Even the lights and backup alarm work. There was no evidence of any weld repairs that I could find. The engine looked clean, had recent service, and there was no oil on the rocks underneath. I did not see any parts other than filters that looked "new".

I do have a question about the "traction control" button in the upper left near the switch. Can you explain how this works and should I be able to hear or feel a difference? Also, is there a light that should be on when locked (didn't see one)?

I want to look once more to raise the cab and take a look inside. The guy has come down some on the price too. Is that in range for a '96? I've looked on the net finder sites and they all are asking much more for similar machines, but that could be location too.

Again, thanks for the reply.

bobcat_ron

Ron,

Thanks for the reply. You mentioned having no issues with BICS, so are you saying that this machine does have that?

I looked at the machine this afternoon. It looks very good for a '96, although it has had a recent paint job and new tires (10-16.5 8 ply). I showed up unannounced and it cranked right up cold, no smoke, smooth idle. The boom and bucket are tight and the grease fittings show recent use. The bucket (smooth/welded face) appears new, not just painted, but I think that it could be a lower priced bucket because the sides are only 1/8" or 3/16" at the most. Just looks a little thin to me.

All the gauges work, but of course there is no way to verify the hours as actual. All cylinders are leak free. The machine drives well with no unusual whining or growling, turns and spins OK, no creep, etc. I stuck the bucket in a dirt pile and the engine loaded up fine without stalling. Even the lights and backup alarm work. There was no evidence of any weld repairs that I could find. The engine looked clean, had recent service, and there was no oil on the rocks underneath. I did not see any parts other than filters that looked "new".

I do have a question about the "traction control" button in the upper left near the switch. Can you explain how this works and should I be able to hear or feel a difference? Also, is there a light that should be on when locked (didn't see one)?

I want to look once more to raise the cab and take a look inside. The guy has come down some on the price too. Is that in range for a '96? I've looked on the net finder sites and they all are asking much more for similar machines, but that could be location too.

Again, thanks for the reply.
I think the traction control has something to do with using a back hoe and being able to pull/push it using the hoe, it's got nothing to do with tractive effort, at least that's what I fugured when I always played with mine.