plywood to save a lawn when using a skid?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

clydesdale

I would use this mostly on my personal property. The only disadvantage to the skid is that it can rip up turf. I have several old 4x8 sheets of plywood. Would laying down the plywood on the turf work to save the lawn? Granted I know this is not the most productive and I would have to get out at times and move the wood. But I thought if I have the plywood at the start and finish line of the jobs, where I would be turning, that would help save the lawn. What do you think?

skidsteer.ca

It works, it just the cost of materials and hassel of handling that reduces its use. Pesonally I don't find lawn damage to last except in the area where you must turn too sharp. Depends how fussy you need to be and how much extra work you will do to prevent the mess. I stay off my lawn durring wet weather when rutting would be a problem even when driving in a straight line. Try to save my work for dry weather.
If you search you will find other threads in here regarding this.
Ken

m610

It works, it just the cost of materials and hassel of handling that reduces its use. Pesonally I don't find lawn damage to last except in the area where you must turn too sharp. Depends how fussy you need to be and how much extra work you will do to prevent the mess. I stay off my lawn durring wet weather when rutting would be a problem even when driving in a straight line. Try to save my work for dry weather.
If you search you will find other threads in here regarding this.
Ken
The secret is thickness. Anything less than 3/4" is probably a waste. I tried the pluwood once, with 5/8" sheets and my old M-610 Bobcat. Every time I turned the plywood slid around and grass was exposed between the gaps. The rough surface of the plywood scraped grass off and some was dug out by plywood corners. When I loaded the tree on the Bobcat the plywood started crushing and breaking apart. With thin plywood it's helpful to heap dirt or sand on it so your tires aren't trying to tear it apart. My protective material of choice is a 10' by 10' by 1/2" rubber conveyor section that I lay on the lawn at the turning zone. I put bald tires on the loader and squirt soap all over. Even when lifting a full load it turns as smooth as can be. Also before setting all this up why not get yourself a set of 16 inch wide tires and rims that someone wore out. The smoother and wider the tire, the less digging your loader will do in a turn. Even if you scrape off the grass, if the roots are intact they will regrow grass in two weeks and you will never know the loader was there.

gink595

The secret is thickness. Anything less than 3/4" is probably a waste. I tried the pluwood once, with 5/8" sheets and my old M-610 Bobcat. Every time I turned the plywood slid around and grass was exposed between the gaps. The rough surface of the plywood scraped grass off and some was dug out by plywood corners. When I loaded the tree on the Bobcat the plywood started crushing and breaking apart. With thin plywood it's helpful to heap dirt or sand on it so your tires aren't trying to tear it apart. My protective material of choice is a 10' by 10' by 1/2" rubber conveyor section that I lay on the lawn at the turning zone. I put bald tires on the loader and squirt soap all over. Even when lifting a full load it turns as smooth as can be. Also before setting all this up why not get yourself a set of 16 inch wide tires and rims that someone wore out. The smoother and wider the tire, the less digging your loader will do in a turn. Even if you scrape off the grass, if the roots are intact they will regrow grass in two weeks and you will never know the loader was there.
I agree, I had similiar experiences. Mine would just shoot out beneath me, like the skid was standing still and the plywood moving in the opposite direction I was going. I like the ideas about the soap never thought of that.

perry

I agree, I had similiar experiences. Mine would just shoot out beneath me, like the skid was standing still and the plywood moving in the opposite direction I was going. I like the ideas about the soap never thought of that.
I creep very slowly around my yard, so far no obvious ruts.

A.G.

Just a thought about plywood shooting out.

Why not nail it to the lawn? Even big tent stake nails? I bet it would stay put for awhile.

.02 A.G.

bobcat_ron

Just a thought about plywood shooting out.

Why not nail it to the lawn? Even big tent stake nails? I bet it would stay put for awhile.

.02 A.G.
Or better yet, 2 foot peices of rebar that are bent over on the top.