Plate compacter

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

longhorn

I have a 2006 S-175 Skidsteer. I recently bought a compacter/ho-pac that I outfitted with a probe for pounding fence posts. It doesnt work? I used the same compacter on a Bobcat mini excavator and it pushed posts in easily. Someone told me my skidsteer doesnt have a valve that the excavator has. The compacter plugged in to the thumb couplers on the mini. Anyone have knowledge of the diffrences ?

mrdeere1959

First did you try reversing flow? If flow is okay then on to back pressure. Bobcat skidstreers have more back pressure then most post pounders or tampers like. You need to dump the return oil back to tank. This oil MUST be filtered. Bobcat skidsteers filter the oil on the return side. If your pounder was to malfunction and the return oil was not filtered it would be sucked through the hydro and hyd. system. I saw a post pounder the other day that had a thrid line on the small aux. port and customer said it worked well. Not sure how it was plumbed.

OP
OP
L

longhorn

First did you try reversing flow? If flow is okay then on to back pressure. Bobcat skidstreers have more back pressure then most post pounders or tampers like. You need to dump the return oil back to tank. This oil MUST be filtered. Bobcat skidsteers filter the oil on the return side. If your pounder was to malfunction and the return oil was not filtered it would be sucked through the hydro and hyd. system. I saw a post pounder the other day that had a thrid line on the small aux. port and customer said it worked well. Not sure how it was plumbed.
Ive got a small third port. dont know what its for/

SkidRoe

Ive got a small third port. dont know what its for/
Is it smaller than the other two? If so, it is for attachments that require case drains. The type of return that Mr. Deere is talking about would need to be added to your machine , and would need to be 1" (-16) plus, to allow a free flow of oil back to the tank, through a nice big filter.

OP
OP
L

longhorn

Is it smaller than the other two? If so, it is for attachments that require case drains. The type of return that Mr. Deere is talking about would need to be added to your machine , and would need to be 1" (-16) plus, to allow a free flow of oil back to the tank, through a nice big filter.
Yes its smaller. Wht are "case drains"?

SkidRoe

Yes its smaller. Wht are "case drains"?
With some motors, especially piston motors, a small amount of hydraulic oil will leak past the drive elements. If allowed to build up, this fluid will eventually stabilize at system pressure, and will shorten the life of the shaft seal, or maybe even blow it out. The case drain allows this fluid to release directly back to the reservoir. It is the right idea for what you need, but it cannot handle the flow rate that you require. Case drains are typically 1/4" (-4) lines. HTH.

Fishfiles

With some motors, especially piston motors, a small amount of hydraulic oil will leak past the drive elements. If allowed to build up, this fluid will eventually stabilize at system pressure, and will shorten the life of the shaft seal, or maybe even blow it out. The case drain allows this fluid to release directly back to the reservoir. It is the right idea for what you need, but it cannot handle the flow rate that you require. Case drains are typically 1/4" (-4) lines. HTH.
That small quick coupler on front of your machine is a case drain , a case drain rock filter assembly is already installed on that hose , trace the hose from on side the battery and you will find it , a 2" round aluminum tube ----------- since it worked on another machine then probally the hoses are backwards or the aux hydraulics are not working at all , with nothing hooked to the machine when you engage the aux you should hear hydraulic oil by bypassing ------------- in a perfect world a plate compactor should be run on a curcuit that is unrestricted to tank on the return side , what happens is the self centering spool valve of the Bobcat traps pressure in the lines when it is centered , the motor seals of the plate are very sensitive to pressure , so if you run a case drain line from the motor back to the machine it could help prevent damage to the seal -------------- I see alot of plates around here , they drive 30 and 40 ft pilings in the ground with them

OP
OP
L

longhorn

That small quick coupler on front of your machine is a case drain , a case drain rock filter assembly is already installed on that hose , trace the hose from on side the battery and you will find it , a 2" round aluminum tube ----------- since it worked on another machine then probally the hoses are backwards or the aux hydraulics are not working at all , with nothing hooked to the machine when you engage the aux you should hear hydraulic oil by bypassing ------------- in a perfect world a plate compactor should be run on a curcuit that is unrestricted to tank on the return side , what happens is the self centering spool valve of the Bobcat traps pressure in the lines when it is centered , the motor seals of the plate are very sensitive to pressure , so if you run a case drain line from the motor back to the machine it could help prevent damage to the seal -------------- I see alot of plates around here , they drive 30 and 40 ft pilings in the ground with them
So ive done a bunch of research and it looks like you cant run a compactor on a skidster. A Bobcat compactor will only work properly on a Bobcat excavator. Something to do with the pressure or return lines. I got 10 diffrent storys from 11 diffrent sources.

melli

So ive done a bunch of research and it looks like you cant run a compactor on a skidster. A Bobcat compactor will only work properly on a Bobcat excavator. Something to do with the pressure or return lines. I got 10 diffrent storys from 11 diffrent sources.
Curious where you got your compactor....I have an Ex... My two dream accessories would be a compactor and hammer... :)

melli

Actually i have 2 compactors. Bught 1 from Boncat and thr other one private. Lots around for sale $4 -$5 thousand.
Not many for sale in my hood....saw one at auction, but it seemed dodgy. The joys of living in the boonies....

melli

Where you calling the boonies? I thought I was as far in the boonies as it gets?
West coast of BC....ferry ride to civilization....they call it the Sunshine Coast, but I think it is relative to a friggin rainforest...LOL I'd reckon living up the Dempster or Dalton Hwy would be living in the boonies...although, I've been up the Cassiar Hwy and thought I drove off the map...

OP
OP
L

longhorn

West coast of BC....ferry ride to civilization....they call it the Sunshine Coast, but I think it is relative to a friggin rainforest...LOL I'd reckon living up the Dempster or Dalton Hwy would be living in the boonies...although, I've been up the Cassiar Hwy and thought I drove off the map...
Im in the Cariboo , Williams Lake but work lots in northern BC.

melli

Yeah, your definitely in the boonies...lol
Fish - wish the place had a website...I keep getting a cable manufacturer when googling... An auction is coming up...might just get a portable compactor...Bobby can pick it up and move it around...

Fishfiles

Fish - wish the place had a website...I keep getting a cable manufacturer when googling... An auction is coming up...might just get a portable compactor...Bobby can pick it up and move it around...
They have a web site but it doesn't show any of the hydraulic compactors or hammers , here is the info , ask for David ,
Midco Sling and Rigging
Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas
9101 John Carpenter Fwy.
Dallas,Texas 75247
(800) 442-4441
(214) 688-0444
Fax: (214) 688-0560