Adapter Plate Thickness

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Atilathehun99

I have a set of pallet forks that attaches to the skid steer using brackets that accept the hoist and bucket pins. My plan is to turn it into a Bob-tach mount by welding an adapter plate to the forks. What thickness of adapter plate should I use? I'm thinking 5/16 or 3/8. I'd like to go 5/16 as it's a wee bit lighter. This isn't intended to see heavy loads.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and constructive comments.

foton

I would go with the 3/8 you might need to pick up something with the end of the forks and that would multiply the weight by leverage on the plate.

brdgbldr

I have a set of pallet forks that attaches to the skid steer using brackets that accept the hoist and bucket pins. My plan is to turn it into a Bob-tach mount by welding an adapter plate to the forks. What thickness of adapter plate should I use? I'm thinking 5/16 or 3/8. I'd like to go 5/16 as it's a wee bit lighter. This isn't intended to see heavy loads.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and constructive comments.
You should not only think of thickness but also what type of steel. There are thousands of different types of steel and their strengths, toughness and brittleness are all things to consider.

A mild steel might bend were a high carbon steel will flex and then break.

Just something to think about.

North Idaho Wolfman

DO NOT weld the forks to the plate, use whatever method they were attached before.
So if they were pin on forks, make mounts on the skid steer plate to pin them to the plate.

OP
OP
A

Atilathehun99

DO NOT weld the forks to the plate, use whatever method they were attached before.
So if they were pin on forks, make mounts on the skid steer plate to pin them to the plate.

The forks are adjustable width on a rod that's integrated into a solid back. I'm going to weld the adapter plate to the back so the forks won't be directly attached to the adapter plate. I'm replacing the bolt on pin brackets with the Bob-tach mounting plate. Right now it takes 5+ minutes to change from bucket to forks and the same back from forks to bucket. With the Bob-tach plate it will take less than a minute.

Blacksheep

When i built mine since all i had were the forks to start with, I used 1/2 x4- 1/2" plate to make the carrier for the forks, this width allowed my to grind in the notch's at the top for the fork pins to drop into. I backed the 1/2"2" hex shaft for stiffness and it allowed room for the fork tangs to slide without binding. the Hex shafts were boxed to the width of the BobCats attachment. The top hooks under the hex shaft, the bottom pins to another 1/2" strap plate that is the whole width of the attachment. Has worked for me for years and doesnt flex.

OP
OP
A

Atilathehun99

When i built mine since all i had were the forks to start with, I used 1/2 x4- 1/2" plate to make the carrier for the forks, this width allowed my to grind in the notch's at the top for the fork pins to drop into. I backed the 1/2"2" hex shaft for stiffness and it allowed room for the fork tangs to slide without binding. the Hex shafts were boxed to the width of the BobCats attachment. The top hooks under the hex shaft, the bottom pins to another 1/2" strap plate that is the whole width of the attachment. Has worked for me for years and doesnt flex.
Mine is not exact but similar to this one.

All I need to do is remove the bolt on pin brackets on the back of mine and replace with a weld on Bot-tach adapter plate.

OP
OP
A

Atilathehun99

All that effort to save "5+ minutes", not sure I would bother, but good luck.
I don't believe welding an adapter plate to the forks back plate constitutes all that much effort. The question I had when creating this thread is to gain the wisdom of other forum members when selecting the appropriate adapter plate thickness.

I may also have a poor understanding of the intent and rationale skid steer (and other construction equipment) manufacturers had in designing and producing quick attachment systems. I've always believed it was to save time and allow ease of operation when switching between attachments.

Wayne440

I will not burden you with an "out of bounds" reply or opinion going forward.

Last edited:

Latest posts