oil change

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

alissa45

Currently I using straight 30 in my 743 winter starting are very dificult. If Iwould use sythetic instead would the 743 accomodate and make easier starting in winter . Also if would use synthentic in m hydraulic during winter would they run better bob cat insist in there manual thyat I use straight 30 evrywhere. Sometime it so cold the machine make a whole bunch of noises that why I need your opinion on going synthetic everywhere. thank in advance OLIVE

skidsteer.ca

I believe is some cases the 743 pre dates multi vicosity oils. That why there is no mention in the literature. However there is no reason you can't use 10/30 or 5/30 motor oil especially for winter use. The newer machines call for 10/30 in both hydraulics and engines. Synthetic is of couse an option as well. I run 0/40 synthetic year round in my New Holland engine as it see winter use.
Straight 30 motor oil would be too heavy to flow well in the winter here also. Further in the winter the machine should be run for a few minutes to warm the hydraulic oil before moving it, then moved around without load for a minute of so to warm the drive motors before they are placed under heavy loads.
Ken

glenbell

....and while we are on the subject of oil changes.... what is the difference between diesel engine oil and gas engine oil? They make both in numerous different weights, real and sythentic etc, etc. But what is the actual physical difference, other than "one is for gas and one for deisel"?

Tazza

Staff member
....and while we are on the subject of oil changes.... what is the difference between diesel engine oil and gas engine oil? They make both in numerous different weights, real and sythentic etc, etc. But what is the actual physical difference, other than "one is for gas and one for deisel"?
Diesel engine oil has detergents to clean the carbon from inside the engine. Its a must for a diesel engine. Diesel engine oil will work fine in a petrol engine, but a petrol engine oil will NOT work in a diesel. When i say it won't work, it will work, but won't clean the internals and the engine will eventually fail due to carbon build up as far as i have been told.