NH L175 OR BOBCAT S175?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tom

Hi everyone,I' ve currently got a S130 and am looking at trading it in for a bigger machine as I need at least 3M lift height (to hinge pin) to load a feed wagon . Because of the dealers in my area the choice comes down to one of these two machines both are very close on price ,the S130 Ive had for 5 years has been a good machine with very few problems so its tempting to stay with bobcat .However the NH has a bit more lift height ,more HP and 2 speeds so seems better value,I am put off by the NH because the seat belt has to be clicked in before operating as aposed to the bar on the bobcat. The NH also has pilot controls which I'me not too sure about. I'de appreciate any input to help make up my mind.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm a little bias to wards Bobcat so take my advise as you see fit. I am really impressed with their service, a machine 30+ years old you can still get parts for, not many places offer that! The staff are friendly, i have never had a major problem with any machine i have owned, i don't use them commercially but i do work them hard when i use them. Just the usual service things like oil filters, seals nothing major. The bad points are some of the new fangled electronic controls are expensive to fix and can be hard to track down. The tech needs to hook up a laptop to program it, not sure if NH requires that too. That side of things is pretty closed shop so you need to talk with the dealer for repair.
NH, there are a few users in here that have them and love them, plenty of power good service. The only thing i don't like is the engine as far as i was aware is dealer only so you pay their price and have no choice. Bobcat mostly run Kubota which you can get aftermarket parts for at a good price. They do however have a few models that run Deutz oil cooled engines as well.
Both machines will serve you well, they have a good reputation, most people in here would agree but there are one or two that won't agree, you know who you are! *cough* Ron *cough*
I have never run a NH, so i can't point any other good or bad points, someone else is sure to put their 2c in.

OP
OP
T

tom

I'm a little bias to wards Bobcat so take my advise as you see fit. I am really impressed with their service, a machine 30+ years old you can still get parts for, not many places offer that! The staff are friendly, i have never had a major problem with any machine i have owned, i don't use them commercially but i do work them hard when i use them. Just the usual service things like oil filters, seals nothing major. The bad points are some of the new fangled electronic controls are expensive to fix and can be hard to track down. The tech needs to hook up a laptop to program it, not sure if NH requires that too. That side of things is pretty closed shop so you need to talk with the dealer for repair.
NH, there are a few users in here that have them and love them, plenty of power good service. The only thing i don't like is the engine as far as i was aware is dealer only so you pay their price and have no choice. Bobcat mostly run Kubota which you can get aftermarket parts for at a good price. They do however have a few models that run Deutz oil cooled engines as well.
Both machines will serve you well, they have a good reputation, most people in here would agree but there are one or two that won't agree, you know who you are! *cough* Ron *cough*
I have never run a NH, so i can't point any other good or bad points, someone else is sure to put their 2c in.
Thanks for your input ,it's a good point about the Bobcat needing a dealer with a laptop as the nearest main Bobcat dealer is over 200 miles away. The guy wanting to sell me the bobcat is a small independent trader 90 miles away he does have the laptop but is no mechanic . NH on the other hand have a large dealer only 20 miles away, service and reliabiality are probably the main issues for me as the skid steer is used to feed and clean up after my Dairy herd so it has to go 7 days/week -or I'me up to my neck in s..t! .So I'll probably go for the NH ,it would be nice to hear a comment from someone who ran a NH .

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for your input ,it's a good point about the Bobcat needing a dealer with a laptop as the nearest main Bobcat dealer is over 200 miles away. The guy wanting to sell me the bobcat is a small independent trader 90 miles away he does have the laptop but is no mechanic . NH on the other hand have a large dealer only 20 miles away, service and reliabiality are probably the main issues for me as the skid steer is used to feed and clean up after my Dairy herd so it has to go 7 days/week -or I'me up to my neck in s..t! .So I'll probably go for the NH ,it would be nice to hear a comment from someone who ran a NH .
I have a 2000 model LS 160.
If the seatbelt thing bothers you that is a simple rewire to bypass that switch. I think you will find the pilot controls nice, mine is a bit heavy on the sticks (traditional mechaincal linkage) If I was going for pilot controls, I'd definitely prefer the NH hydraulic pilots over Bocats electric joysticks. Less prone to trouble. A cracked or wet wires harness and the bobcat is dead. (this has happened pressure washing them)
New Hollands electronics also only affect the guages and glow plugs, where as bockats is tied into the aux hydralics, park brake, glow and engine protection systems. So when (not if, its 6 to 8 years old) and starts screwing up it will be harder to fix.
I know, I have spent a grand trying to get my 2000 773 with 2100 hours to quit shutting the engine down for false overheat codes, and I still have to unplug the water temp sender and glow plug relay so it don't shut down. (new sender, new guage panel, new computer)
If you do go Bobcat stay with the foot and steering lever controls. The joysticks are @ $1500 each, I'm told
Bobcat does have a better tailgate and rad protection, and the Kubota diesel are cheaper to reman then the NH engines should you wear them out.
Both are pretty good machines
Ken

OP
OP
T

tom

I have a 2000 model LS 160.
If the seatbelt thing bothers you that is a simple rewire to bypass that switch. I think you will find the pilot controls nice, mine is a bit heavy on the sticks (traditional mechaincal linkage) If I was going for pilot controls, I'd definitely prefer the NH hydraulic pilots over Bocats electric joysticks. Less prone to trouble. A cracked or wet wires harness and the bobcat is dead. (this has happened pressure washing them)
New Hollands electronics also only affect the guages and glow plugs, where as bockats is tied into the aux hydralics, park brake, glow and engine protection systems. So when (not if, its 6 to 8 years old) and starts screwing up it will be harder to fix.
I know, I have spent a grand trying to get my 2000 773 with 2100 hours to quit shutting the engine down for false overheat codes, and I still have to unplug the water temp sender and glow plug relay so it don't shut down. (new sender, new guage panel, new computer)
If you do go Bobcat stay with the foot and steering lever controls. The joysticks are @ $1500 each, I'm told
Bobcat does have a better tailgate and rad protection, and the Kubota diesel are cheaper to reman then the NH engines should you wear them out.
Both are pretty good machines
Ken
Thanks for all the info ,it was a hard decision as both machines are pretty good it seems .I decided in the end to stay with Bobcat because the dealer service is better, although further away it's the only thing they sell so are generally pretty knowledgeable and parts are never a problem. NH however sell mainly tractors the seat belt also put me off(by passing the switch was'nt an option because of safety laws in the u.k)Also bobcat came up with a much better deal ,front door ,heater,hyrdaulic coupler and deluxe panel all for the same price they originally quoted perhaps the dealer read my post and thought I was going for the NH!!