NH LT 190b

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RWALTON699

Need some help on a new to me NH LT190B and aux. hydraulics. I bought a grapple/root bucket for it and when I try to use the grapple...open or close it will choke the engine down and even kill it if I don't let off of the lever. All lights on the EIC flashes and it will set the parking brake as well as flash the seatbelt light. Will not do anything until, seatbelt is unfastened and refastened. Have checked all fuses. Thanks in advance

mrbb

no expert, but what are the spec's on the grapple, could it be possible it requires higher flow rate than your machine makes?
causing it to strain system ?
I know this is more a common issue with things like brush hogs, snow blowers, but, something to check maybe?
How many hours on machine?

OP
OP
R

RWALTON699

no expert, but what are the spec's on the grapple, could it be possible it requires higher flow rate than your machine makes?
causing it to strain system ?
I know this is more a common issue with things like brush hogs, snow blowers, but, something to check maybe?
How many hours on machine?
mrbb... thanks for the reply. Two 3x8 cylinders shouldn't put a strain on any machine. Raising boom or curling 84" bucket is no problem. 1891 hrs on machine.

brdgbldr

Need some help on a new to me NH LT190B and aux. hydraulics. I bought a grapple/root bucket for it and when I try to use the grapple...open or close it will choke the engine down and even kill it if I don't let off of the lever. All lights on the EIC flashes and it will set the parking brake as well as flash the seatbelt light. Will not do anything until, seatbelt is unfastened and refastened. Have checked all fuses. Thanks in advance
Does it do the same thing Ifmyou engage the auxiliary without an attachment connected?

If it does, could be that you have a bad relief valve that is not oppening.

OP
OP
R

RWALTON699

Does it do the same thing Ifmyou engage the auxiliary without an attachment connected?

If it does, could be that you have a bad relief valve that is not oppening.
brdgbldr....Yes, it chokes the engine down, whether the hoses are hooked up or not. Thanks

foton

I believe that the hyrdo circuit is not flowing causing the pump to dead head, it is possible that the hydro fittings are plugged up, and if you engage the remotes with nothing hooked up it would cause what you are describing.no flow.

OP
OP
R

RWALTON699

I believe that the hyrdo circuit is not flowing causing the pump to dead head, it is possible that the hydro fittings are plugged up, and if you engage the remotes with nothing hooked up it would cause what you are describing.no flow.
foton, thanks...It does have flow....but not free/unstrained flow. I can work the lever in quick bursts.....apply...release...apply...release, and it will work the grapple. Apply and release, keeps the engine from completely choking down and dying......make sense??

foton

I would look at the machine side of the quick connects , I guess first to make sure they are not plugged up.

foton

If you do see junk in there you will need to hook something to the outlet pipes into a oil catch container and engage the remotes to flush them and that is gonna be messy I would think, and run remotes in both dirrections. you know even if you do not see junk in there it might be a good idea to do this anyway to be sure of a good flow,and no engine laboring.

OP
OP
R

RWALTON699

If you do see junk in there you will need to hook something to the outlet pipes into a oil catch container and engage the remotes to flush them and that is gonna be messy I would think, and run remotes in both dirrections. you know even if you do not see junk in there it might be a good idea to do this anyway to be sure of a good flow,and no engine laboring.
foton..thanks . I'll give that a try. brdgbldr mentioned that it could be a bad relief valve. Figured I would get one a see if that helped.....NOPE, not yet. I need to exhaust all other avenues first.....that relief valve is $500 from NH. A lot of money for a maybe/might fix. BUT, with my luck...it'll end up being the relief valve.....

OP
OP
R

RWALTON699

foton.....I pulled the quick connects off....had flow. At idle, shoots a full stream about 6" out.

mikelv

So, another non expert chiming in. I'm with brdgbldr and thinking that the relief valve on the aux circuit is the issue and not the main relief valve. Main valve would cause issues with everything. On my ancient system that valve is on the aux control itself and the whole thing is like $100. In any case I would suggest removing the aux relief valve disassembling (if possible) it and checking for crud. Clean out the valve body while there.

OP
OP
R

RWALTON699

So, another non expert chiming in. I'm with brdgbldr and thinking that the relief valve on the aux circuit is the issue and not the main relief valve. Main valve would cause issues with everything. On my ancient system that valve is on the aux control itself and the whole thing is like $100. In any case I would suggest removing the aux relief valve disassembling (if possible) it and checking for crud. Clean out the valve body while there.
mikelv...thanks. I've not pulled the relief valve...yet. Just checked prices...(wish this one was only $100). So, the relief valve can be disassembled?

foton

ok ,that would make me believe that the machine is ok, could it be that your hoses are reversed and when you would think that you are trying to open the grapple you are sending fluid to put it in close position? and causing it to dead head? it would be worth reversing the hose fittings and giving it a try. now that I think of it years ago I bought a grapple and I had to reverse the fittings to match the action of my other attachments.

OP
OP
R

RWALTON699

ok ,that would make me believe that the machine is ok, could it be that your hoses are reversed and when you would think that you are trying to open the grapple you are sending fluid to put it in close position? and causing it to dead head? it would be worth reversing the hose fittings and giving it a try. now that I think of it years ago I bought a grapple and I had to reverse the fittings to match the action of my other attachments.
foton...thanks, again. When I pulled the the fittings off and tried it.....it still chocked the machine down. So, that wouldn't indicate that fittings reversed or not reversed is the problem...correct??

foton

oh, no I just read that fluid came shooting out 6 inchs ,I did not catch that the engine labored still. so it is in the hydro circuit of the machine, so a defective pressure relief valve could be the issue.

OP
OP
R

RWALTON699

oh, no I just read that fluid came shooting out 6 inchs ,I did not catch that the engine labored still. so it is in the hydro circuit of the machine, so a defective pressure relief valve could be the issue.
Ok, so I pulled the relief valve....is there any way to tell if one is bad?? The only disassembly that I could do...is pull the cap off the end. The other end I could push in...didn't see any dirt and spring moves freely.

mikelv

yep, I missed that part too. In that case I would suspect the hose that runs from the main valve body to the aux hydraulics valve has broken down internally. Causing a spiral V shaped flap on the inside which is acting like shut off valve and is blocking the flow or that hose is pinched off somewhere. But I would get a set of guages and start testing.
mikelv...thanks. I've not pulled the relief valve...yet. Just checked prices...(wish this one was only $100). So, the relief valve can be disassembled?
I have never taken one apart before, but I have seen it done in you tube videos ;)

Yours will probably look different. That being said if it is crud causing the problem its probably best to remove and clean the entire valve assembly spools and all.

But if you are getting good flow out of the aux hoses and its still dying I think the problem is further upstream. You could remove the line in on the aux valve assembly and see if it dies with it not connected (run it into a bucket or something) but be prepared for oil everywhere.

mikelv

Ok, so I pulled the relief valve....is there any way to tell if one is bad?? The only disassembly that I could do...is pull the cap off the end. The other end I could push in...didn't see any dirt and spring moves freely.
I think its time to start looking further upstream

mikelv

Did you search this forum before posting the question. Reason I ask is because the specific model you have as a quirk with the aux hydraulics according to a post I saw. Look at the reply from Mike10 in the post linked below.

Latest posts