Newbe Thinking of buying a 753

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wtw

I have located a 1998 bobcat 753 with 1400 hours. I am going to look at it on saturday. It comes with a trailer and post hole digger. Are there any items i need to look at specifically on the bobcat to make sure it is in good condition and will not cause me a lot of problems. I know to look for leaking hoses and to run the machine to make sure it operates properly. I am looking for any mechanical items to check. Any help would be appreciated.

skidsteer.ca

The loosest loader pin will be the tilt cylinder at the quick attach. Take a 1/2 drive ratchet and remove the plug behinf the bucket on the front of the chain case and check oil level and look for water contamination. (leaks in the chain case from the covers on top)
Have a 3/4 wrench to lift the cab and check the angle drive fan gear box for leaves around the shaft where the v belt drives it from the engine. Look at the hydraulic vavle for leaks around the spools and under the cab for leak, check the foot pedal linkages for loose pins and wear (indication of hours) Also look over the linkage from the steering levers to the hydros. Often the aluminum levers will be loose on the top of the hydro.
See if the machine tracks straight at full speed forward and reverse. Look at engine for smoke and blowby. See if it wants to creap forward or back when sitting still running with the park brake off.
Ken

Iowa Dave

If it has the digital dash/hourmeter(I know the late 753's did--unsure on a 1998), check for any diagnostic codes stored in the controller. I think you hold on the "lights" button to check. Feel the block to see if motor is cool(which is what you want--pre-warmed engines can hide things) Pull the dipstick and look at the oil.See if any filters have hrs of service written on them to see if they have been changed recently. Start it up.Check for excess smoke (internal engine problems or injection pump), rough idle(pump or injector trouble). Find out history if possible(service, frequency of oil changes, anything else possible). Remove the 2 nuts that hold front of the ROPs or cab down, tip it back, and check below seat for obvious problems/oil leaks. Set bucket on edge of curb or other immovable object, and push controls ahead. You should kill the motor and NOT feel any hydro-type slipping. See if lift arms go up and down fast and smooth. Jerky means air is getting into system somewhere. You should not hear any grinding sounds of any kind during your test drive. Machine should go in a straight line(or at least close to it) when both sticks pushed all the ways forward. Bucket pins will be worn at least some, but see if the wear is excessive(does machine look like it has been greased regularly?) Is there oil seepage at axle seals? Is the coolant and hyd fluids at proper levels? To me, if very low, it means poor maintenance. I don't like repaints. I want to see what I am actually getting. Touched-up paint is certainly ok, but a repaint means abuse or stored outside. Overall condition and having a solid history mean more to me than hours. A 1400 hr machine from a good home has LOTS of life left. Heck, a 3000 hr machine from a meticulous owner is a better bet than a 1400 hr machine that has been abused. Good luck!!

OP
OP
W

wtw

If it has the digital dash/hourmeter(I know the late 753's did--unsure on a 1998), check for any diagnostic codes stored in the controller. I think you hold on the "lights" button to check. Feel the block to see if motor is cool(which is what you want--pre-warmed engines can hide things) Pull the dipstick and look at the oil.See if any filters have hrs of service written on them to see if they have been changed recently. Start it up.Check for excess smoke (internal engine problems or injection pump), rough idle(pump or injector trouble). Find out history if possible(service, frequency of oil changes, anything else possible). Remove the 2 nuts that hold front of the ROPs or cab down, tip it back, and check below seat for obvious problems/oil leaks. Set bucket on edge of curb or other immovable object, and push controls ahead. You should kill the motor and NOT feel any hydro-type slipping. See if lift arms go up and down fast and smooth. Jerky means air is getting into system somewhere. You should not hear any grinding sounds of any kind during your test drive. Machine should go in a straight line(or at least close to it) when both sticks pushed all the ways forward. Bucket pins will be worn at least some, but see if the wear is excessive(does machine look like it has been greased regularly?) Is there oil seepage at axle seals? Is the coolant and hyd fluids at proper levels? To me, if very low, it means poor maintenance. I don't like repaints. I want to see what I am actually getting. Touched-up paint is certainly ok, but a repaint means abuse or stored outside. Overall condition and having a solid history mean more to me than hours. A 1400 hr machine from a good home has LOTS of life left. Heck, a 3000 hr machine from a meticulous owner is a better bet than a 1400 hr machine that has been abused. Good luck!!
thank you for the info