new boom arms for 1996 873

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slewpumper

I just had a guy come and install a new timing belt and turbo in my 873. He noticed my boom arms both have small cracks in them and told me that there was a recall on them. He thought that if I contacted Bobcat that they may give me new ones. Is that true? I wrote awhile back about the black smoke and lack of power that I was getting from my 873. You all were right. The turbo was bad. The guy that replaced it said it is common. He says the hose vibrates off because of the type of spring clamo they use and the turbo sucks in dirt. That is exaclty what happend with mine. He charged me $1000 for the new timing belt and turbo plus the installation. I thought that was pretty fair.

Tazza

Staff member
That price i think was very reasonable. A service call alone usually runs a few hundred.
As for the arms, as far as i was aware for the recalls, they only cover machines that were still under warranty. I may be totally wrong here though. If its not covered, its a simple job to re-weld the cracks, just don't leave them too long and allow them to get so bad that they bend which will make the job that much harder.

Rich M-37

That price i think was very reasonable. A service call alone usually runs a few hundred.
As for the arms, as far as i was aware for the recalls, they only cover machines that were still under warranty. I may be totally wrong here though. If its not covered, its a simple job to re-weld the cracks, just don't leave them too long and allow them to get so bad that they bend which will make the job that much harder.
Slew pumper, I bought my skid steer used I am the 3rd owner, It is an 873, at 1749 hrs, Bobcat paid for a new Head gasket, I installed it, I also had them weld up cracks on the lift arms. At that time the service manager told me they had a recall and he contacted the District man. I was told ther were too many hours on the machine. It didnot help that I was the 3rd owner, if I was the original owner I would have had a bettercase. Rich M-37

Latest posts