Maintenance suggestions for 743 that has been sitting unused.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

johfoster

Hello. I just picked up this 1990 743 locally. It was sitting in the desert for sometime, and has some issues I need to address. It starts right up and everything seems to work the best I could test it in its current condition. Has two flats, and the cooling system is not hooked up on the motor. (Pack rats got to some hoses) I am going to pull the motor out to inspect the couplers, and clean the remaining pack rat debris out behind it. I will do a compression test on the motor while I have it out, bit it seems to run good with no smoke. I will do all new fluids and filters of course when i get the machine back together. I am wondering if there is anything you guys suggest going ahead and doing now, like the axle seals/bearings for example. I would rather just go ahead and go through those things now than have to do it once I am using it. What parts do you think are probably due for a service/replacement now? Thanks for any help!

rjitreeman0909

Does it have an hour meter? How many hours? What general condition? Used and abused, lots of hours but doesn't appear to be abused, very lightly used??? Hydraulic leaks? General condition of hoses? All these are indicators of what may be appropriate. Use hydraulics or jack to get each wheel off the ground. One by one do a check for chain stretch/ chain and sprocket wear. Report back as much detail as possible and a better assessment of appropriate work can be made. Since it has been sitting for an unknown length of time, changing oil in chain boxes and hydraulic woulds be a good starting point.

OP
OP
J

johfoster

Does it have an hour meter? How many hours? What general condition? Used and abused, lots of hours but doesn't appear to be abused, very lightly used??? Hydraulic leaks? General condition of hoses? All these are indicators of what may be appropriate. Use hydraulics or jack to get each wheel off the ground. One by one do a check for chain stretch/ chain and sprocket wear. Report back as much detail as possible and a better assessment of appropriate work can be made. Since it has been sitting for an unknown length of time, changing oil in chain boxes and hydraulic woulds be a good starting point.
Yes it does have an hour meter, and it seems to have stopped working at 1431 hrs. The last service was at 1379 hrs (via written on filters). I can believe based on how clean the filters are that it is possible the machine only worked 1431hrs and the guage stopped working during the sitting period, but no way to know for sure. The bucket is a little loose, and the tilt cylinder is a fountain. The lift cylinders are fine and the arms are good and tight. The inside lip of one wheel had tons of oil built up in it, but the rest were clean. The bottom inside the machine was clean with no oil anywhere. Its only had one repaint for what its worth.

farmshop

Yes it does have an hour meter, and it seems to have stopped working at 1431 hrs. The last service was at 1379 hrs (via written on filters). I can believe based on how clean the filters are that it is possible the machine only worked 1431hrs and the guage stopped working during the sitting period, but no way to know for sure. The bucket is a little loose, and the tilt cylinder is a fountain. The lift cylinders are fine and the arms are good and tight. The inside lip of one wheel had tons of oil built up in it, but the rest were clean. The bottom inside the machine was clean with no oil anywhere. Its only had one repaint for what its worth.
I would do the 1 axle seal that is leaking. Other than fixing what is obviously wrong and a fluid change I wouldn't go looking for problems. I'd maybe order the seal kits to have them if going with aftermarket parts

Hotrod1830

Start by replacing the axle seal that is leaking. If the axle seals are easy to replace, replace them all. Dont bother with the bearings unless they are really bad. Otherwise, if it isnt broke, dont fix it. Only thing I can think of that hasnt been mentioned is valve lash adjustment. Also wouldnt hurt to check low and high idle RPM. Most are close, but you will find one that someone has "adjusted" to their liking and screwed it up. all you need is a Non-contact laser tach off ebay and get a reading at idle and full throttle.

Tazza

Staff member
Start by replacing the axle seal that is leaking. If the axle seals are easy to replace, replace them all. Dont bother with the bearings unless they are really bad. Otherwise, if it isnt broke, dont fix it. Only thing I can think of that hasnt been mentioned is valve lash adjustment. Also wouldnt hurt to check low and high idle RPM. Most are close, but you will find one that someone has "adjusted" to their liking and screwed it up. all you need is a Non-contact laser tach off ebay and get a reading at idle and full throttle.
743 axle seals are not a simple job, the entire axle needs to come out.
Starting with filters is a good start. Ensure the radiator and oil cooler is clear. I'd change the engine oil and filter again after it has had a chance of being warmed up.
It's a good idea to change the hydraulic fluid too, and check or change the chain case oil. But do the chain case when you do the axle seals.