lx854 turbo 50% loss of power

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rospaw

New Holland LX865 Turbo that has around 50% loss in power. Sounds good running with no noises and seams to run up to full throttle sitting still. As I was driving home last night I thought of a few things it could be. Turbo gone bad?, Fuel dist issue?, hyd fluid level issue (forgot to check it)?, or ? Any and all help would be greatl Thanks One thing I know is wrong with it is the base to the muffler is broke. In other words the muffler has vibrated though where the manifold goes into the thin medal part of the muffler. Need to buy a muffler if anyone has one email me.

Tazza

Staff member
Are you getting significantly more black smoke now?
Being turbo i don't see a crack at the base of the muffler being an issue. It could indeed be a turbo problem, i would doubt its a hydraulic oil level problem though.
Smoke is a very good starting point, is there black or blue smoke? Blue would usually mean blown turbo seal causing engine oil to be burnt.

OP
OP
R

rospaw

Being turbo i don't see a crack at the base of the muffler being an issue. It could indeed be a turbo problem, i would doubt its a hydraulic oil level problem though.
Smoke is a very good starting point, is there black or blue smoke? Blue would usually mean blown turbo seal causing engine oil to be burnt.
No smoke that noticed. It seems to idle and run full throttle great sitting still but it will barely pull the driveway hill. Also flat ground speed I would say is 30% less than normal. Where should I start on the diagnostics?

mllud

No smoke that noticed. It seems to idle and run full throttle great sitting still but it will barely pull the driveway hill. Also flat ground speed I would say is 30% less than normal. Where should I start on the diagnostics?
I would pull the mufler and make sure the turbo can spin freely. the inpellers are right behind the mufler flange.You describe the thin metal slipping in somewhere. Mike

brunsyeah

I would pull the mufler and make sure the turbo can spin freely. the inpellers are right behind the mufler flange.You describe the thin metal slipping in somewhere. Mike
See other loss of power post..... any response to those points?

mllud

I believe the other posts are questioning fuel problems. Do you know if you have an electric fuel pump drawing fuel from your tank to your injector pump. It could be weak. I would pull the pick up tube out of the tank and make sure you have good fuel and lines running all the way to the injector pump. If you dont have an electric fuel pump you can add a generic electric automotive style pump. this is a good way to insure your getting enough fuel feeding your injector pump. this will eliminate that question of starving for fuel. Ive seen this problem on this forum several times. Look for a small filter on the end of your pick up tube being clean. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, you are talking about power loss, but you didn't say the engine was bogging down. Does the engine run fine but you seem to have low drive power? or does the engine bog down and provide little drive power?
If the engine is not bogging down it will be a hydraulic issue, does this machine run a drive belt? could it be slipping? I'm not sure if these machine run east west or if they have a direct coupling.

mllud

Ok, you are talking about power loss, but you didn't say the engine was bogging down. Does the engine run fine but you seem to have low drive power? or does the engine bog down and provide little drive power?
If the engine is not bogging down it will be a hydraulic issue, does this machine run a drive belt? could it be slipping? I'm not sure if these machine run east west or if they have a direct coupling.
Tazza has a lot more experience than I do with these machines. If you follow him he will drive you strait. You might read a thread about 11 threads back. Title is[Cold Weather Operation] by Jackel 440. It nas similar power issues. Mike

OP
OP
R

rospaw

The engine on a grade bogs down and provides little drive power. Even on flat surface you can tell it is much slower than normal. Not sure if it's a drive belt or not. New Holland lx 865 turbo diesel skid steer late 90's model. Fills like the motor is going to stall pulling a hill that it's been up many times before with no problems. Put fresh fuel in it with no change. One other thing I noticed was the tilt on the bucket was leaking down fairly quick but after a few minuets of use it worked fine. I think it's just a seal in the cylinder but want you to know it all. Oh, and I had pot roast for DINNER ! (Sorry, had too) I keep thinking about fluid level and turbo. A good comparisons of power loss is a ford 6.9 pickup with 300k and a new 7.3 turbo pickup. That broken muffler has been bouncing around for a while now.

OP
OP
R

rospaw

"See other loss of power post..... any response to those points? " Read all the post with "power loss" and now it MAKES ME SCRACH MY HEAD WITH BOTH HANDS !

mllud

"See other loss of power post..... any response to those points? " Read all the post with "power loss" and now it MAKES ME SCRACH MY HEAD WITH BOTH HANDS !
The imformation brunsyeah gives on the other post is also fuel., and turbo related. do you have a lx865 or lx 854. a lx 865 is direct drive pumps, no belt slipping. if you have an lx854 i dont know if its beli drive.if you scratch your head with both hands you wont be able to twist a wrench. start with muffler, needs yo be done anyway.yhe problem of fuel getting to the injector pump is common , elimenate that possibility next. if you have a belt as tazza describes check that.please read tht post by jackel440[cold weather operation,its about 11 threads down the list.go to the end and see what he found. Did you check your fuel filter.just joking about scratching your head. hope the pot roast was good.

mllud

The imformation brunsyeah gives on the other post is also fuel., and turbo related. do you have a lx865 or lx 854. a lx 865 is direct drive pumps, no belt slipping. if you have an lx854 i dont know if its beli drive.if you scratch your head with both hands you wont be able to twist a wrench. start with muffler, needs yo be done anyway.yhe problem of fuel getting to the injector pump is common , elimenate that possibility next. if you have a belt as tazza describes check that.please read tht post by jackel440[cold weather operation,its about 11 threads down the list.go to the end and see what he found. Did you check your fuel filter.just joking about scratching your head. hope the pot roast was good.
on the other post brunsyeah suggest pump problems. change hydraulic filter and fluid

Tazza

Staff member
on the other post brunsyeah suggest pump problems. change hydraulic filter and fluid
Could it even be a blocked or frozen fuel filter? Loss of engine power 99% of the time is fuel delivery. If there is no excessive smoke i would suspect the turbo is boosting correctly as stated in the other post with a turbo you get more fuel. Excessive fuel creates black smoke.
I would suspect fuel delivery, fuel pump frozen, pick up tube. I have never experienced cold weather like you get but i hear problems with the fuel gelling and the wax plugs the filters.

OP
OP
R

rospaw

Could it even be a blocked or frozen fuel filter? Loss of engine power 99% of the time is fuel delivery. If there is no excessive smoke i would suspect the turbo is boosting correctly as stated in the other post with a turbo you get more fuel. Excessive fuel creates black smoke.
I would suspect fuel delivery, fuel pump frozen, pick up tube. I have never experienced cold weather like you get but i hear problems with the fuel gelling and the wax plugs the filters.
lx865 IS THE CORRECT MODEL. Here is the update. Pulled muffler off (drop it off at the welder 680.00 for a new one) and noticed the turbo had carbon build up in the housing and the fan would turn freely but it would stick sometimes. This morning i could turn it freely so i believe it to be working. Will put the muffler and new air filter (very dirty) on in the morning.

OP
OP
R

rospaw

Temp here in ga is not that bad so i don't believe it was frozen / gelled. How to i check to make sure it's getting proper fuel flow / pressure? Thanks

jackel440

Temp here in ga is not that bad so i don't believe it was frozen / gelled. How to i check to make sure it's getting proper fuel flow / pressure? Thanks
In my other thread we went all over the electric fuel pump thinking it might be bad.The dealers which i talked to pretty much told me either the pump works or it don't.There is no factory spec for preesure since it is an open return system.I did make up a guage assembly and when we keyed on the pump with a good clean(and not frozen)filter I think we got between 5 and 8 psi out of it.Thats with the hose crimped shut after the gauge.The dealer told me that everyone changes the filter on the outside of the machine ,but seem to forget the small inline one before the pump.Might check it and replace it.Especiallly if it hasn't been done in a long time.Any fuel filter for 5/16 fuel line will work.just a couple of bucks good luck Aaron

mllud

In my other thread we went all over the electric fuel pump thinking it might be bad.The dealers which i talked to pretty much told me either the pump works or it don't.There is no factory spec for preesure since it is an open return system.I did make up a guage assembly and when we keyed on the pump with a good clean(and not frozen)filter I think we got between 5 and 8 psi out of it.Thats with the hose crimped shut after the gauge.The dealer told me that everyone changes the filter on the outside of the machine ,but seem to forget the small inline one before the pump.Might check it and replace it.Especiallly if it hasn't been done in a long time.Any fuel filter for 5/16 fuel line will work.just a couple of bucks good luck Aaron
Thats a gold plated muffler. Let us know wnat you find. Hope it simple. I also have a lx865.If you need a operators manual. Call 1-800-635-4913. I ordered mine from them. theres a decal on mine below the window on the left above the seat.Thet have several manuals .one for each section . Engine/hydraulic/ The owners manual is very informative.They send it ups promptly.

NHDealer

Thats a gold plated muffler. Let us know wnat you find. Hope it simple. I also have a lx865.If you need a operators manual. Call 1-800-635-4913. I ordered mine from them. theres a decal on mine below the window on the left above the seat.Thet have several manuals .one for each section . Engine/hydraulic/ The owners manual is very informative.They send it ups promptly.
What color is your fuel cap? Has it been replaced recently? Make sure you're running a green/vented fuel cap or quickly inspect your fuel tank to see if its collapsed.