LS170 parking brake

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mountain Man

The parking brake on my 2005 LS170 (730 hours) completely failed the other day. The local NH dealer, who deals mainly with tractor repairs and only occasionally construction equipment, gave me a quote of $1300-1400 for the brake repair. Admittedly, they've never done one before. Does this estimate seem high?

mfyock

Kinda odd that a dealer that works on tractors wouldnt have many skidsteers to work on... Is your brake electronic with a button on the dash, or does it have the handle on your right hand side?

Mike10

The parking brakes do not fail. If you have an owners manual the adjustment procedure is covered. What happens is people do not pull the parking brake lever completely to the top so it latches. They only pull it up until there is resistance. The next time they get in they forget to release the brake and since it is not fully engaged they wear the brake puck until it no longer holds. It is just a matter of readjusting the brake lever on the actuating shaft.

OP
OP
M

Mountain Man

The parking brakes do not fail. If you have an owners manual the adjustment procedure is covered. What happens is people do not pull the parking brake lever completely to the top so it latches. They only pull it up until there is resistance. The next time they get in they forget to release the brake and since it is not fully engaged they wear the brake puck until it no longer holds. It is just a matter of readjusting the brake lever on the actuating shaft.
The parking brake is a lever on the right side. I scoured the owner's manual and could not find anything about adjusting the parking brake. I will call the service department Tuesday and suggest your solution. Thanks for both your replies. I will let you know how I make out with the dealer.

Mike10

The parking brake is a lever on the right side. I scoured the owner's manual and could not find anything about adjusting the parking brake. I will call the service department Tuesday and suggest your solution. Thanks for both your replies. I will let you know how I make out with the dealer.
Unlatch the seat and raise the seat so the rod locks in the slot. Look where the parking brake handle goes through the cab floor and you will see a lever and a spring link attached to that lever. There is a cross shaft which attaches to the spring link on the other side. The spring link is attached to a lever at the bottom which activates the parking brake by screwing, shaft is threaded, in against the brake puck. The lever at the bottom has one 1/4" bolt holding the lever on the shaft. Loosen the bolt about a round. The following instructions are from the service manual. The only change I would suggest is instead of removing the spring link from the bottom lever, I would remove the spring link from the top lever. You may need to give the lower arm a pry to free it on the shaft but it should come off fairly easily after that. Not a lot of room to work but not that difficult either.................

Parking brake in the disengaged position.
1. Unhook the lower pin of the spring assembly, 1,
from the control arm at 3.
2. Push the arm, 2, down to turn the shaft into the
caliper support to remove any play in caliper and
disc.
3. Loosen the setscrew in arm at 4, and slide arm
off the shaft.
4. Rotate the armup so the spring can be rehooked
and slide the arm on the corresponding shaft
splines.
5. Position the control arm on the shaft for clear-
ance between arm and other components when
the brake is engaged and disengaged.
6. Tighten the retaining screw in the control arm.
7. Connect the spring to the arm and install cotter
pin in spring link at 3.​

[FONT=Swiss721SWA,BoldItalic][FONT=Swiss721SWA,BoldItalic]NOTE: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Swiss721SWA,Italic][FONT=Swiss721SWA,Italic]The parking brake control lever must be in the[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Swiss721SWA,Italic]
[FONT=Swiss721SWA,Italic]
lower (disengaged position) for parking brake adjust-
ment.​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

OP
OP
M

Mountain Man

Unlatch the seat and raise the seat so the rod locks in the slot. Look where the parking brake handle goes through the cab floor and you will see a lever and a spring link attached to that lever. There is a cross shaft which attaches to the spring link on the other side. The spring link is attached to a lever at the bottom which activates the parking brake by screwing, shaft is threaded, in against the brake puck. The lever at the bottom has one 1/4" bolt holding the lever on the shaft. Loosen the bolt about a round. The following instructions are from the service manual. The only change I would suggest is instead of removing the spring link from the bottom lever, I would remove the spring link from the top lever. You may need to give the lower arm a pry to free it on the shaft but it should come off fairly easily after that. Not a lot of room to work but not that difficult either.................

Parking brake in the disengaged position.
1. Unhook the lower pin of the spring assembly, 1,
from the control arm at 3.
2. Push the arm, 2, down to turn the shaft into the
caliper support to remove any play in caliper and
disc.
3. Loosen the setscrew in arm at 4, and slide arm
off the shaft.
4. Rotate the armup so the spring can be rehooked
and slide the arm on the corresponding shaft
splines.
5. Position the control arm on the shaft for clear-
ance between arm and other components when
the brake is engaged and disengaged.
6. Tighten the retaining screw in the control arm.
7. Connect the spring to the arm and install cotter
pin in spring link at 3.

NOTE: The parking brake control lever must be in the

lower (disengaged position) for parking brake adjust-
ment.

Thanks so much Mike for your detailed help. I will be on the phone with the dealer first thing in the morning. His mechanic will be out to my place later in the week to replace a defective part at no charge, so hopefully they can fix the brake then. Thanks again.

OP
OP
M

Mountain Man

Thanks so much Mike for your detailed help. I will be on the phone with the dealer first thing in the morning. His mechanic will be out to my place later in the week to replace a defective part at no charge, so hopefully they can fix the brake then. Thanks again.
Here's my follow up to the parking brake issue. Talked to the dealer today and it seems that they made a half hearted effort to follow the instructions in the manual, also supplied by Mike. They said the adjustment didn't work, though I sensed a lack of enthusiasm. So now my LS170 is parked for the winter (at my summer cabin). Guess I'll have to deal with the problem in the spring. Perhaps I should try another NH dealer who actually works on construction equipment and has experience.

Latest posts