LS160 170 Update to share chaincase and reduction gear box oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

Has anyone heard of this or had it done. I checking the reduction gear box oil lever is a pita and it would be easier to just have to deal with the chaincase plug instead. I heard there was a bulletin from NH and a update with a center drilled bolt to allow the oil to flow back and forth. Ken

jerry

Ken, I did it to my lx665 a couple years ago and it is a good thing to do. Mike10 gave me the dimensions of where to drill the new level hole in the chain case cover. You can buy the drilled bolt and install it or drill the original out in the lathe as I did. I'll look see if I can find the measurements here somewhere.

jerry

Ken, I did it to my lx665 a couple years ago and it is a good thing to do. Mike10 gave me the dimensions of where to drill the new level hole in the chain case cover. You can buy the drilled bolt and install it or drill the original out in the lathe as I did. I'll look see if I can find the measurements here somewhere.
This pretty much covers how to do the conversion. Top 25 Poster Joined: 03 May 2007 Total Posts: 1962 Re: Lx565 hydrolic oil change Posted: 02-14-2014 11:46 PM Delly, lift the seat and look down on both sides you will see a reduction gear case. There is a small elbow with a plug in it that is the fill point and also the fill level. It takes gear oil 75-90 or whatever you have handy. They are very neglected and mine came from the dealer supposedly serviced and they were low if not empty. From what I found out they had trouble keeping them sealed so on the ls160 they made them connected with the chain case and use chain case oil. If you want Mike10 posted instructions on how to modify the older ones to use chain case oil , I did it and it was time well spent. What it amounts to is removing the side cover and taking out the bottom front bolt from the gear reduction case and replacing it with a bolt from a ls160(they have a thru hole for oil to pass thru) . Then drill a new fill hole in the side cover 2 1/2 inches higher than the old one. Take a 1/2 inch pipe coupling and cut in half and weld over the new fill hole. That's the best I can remember it but you can look it up in Mikes past posts. If I did it again I would drill the new hole a half inch higher as the oil never came up to the old fill point. I also went to the shop and got hydraulic half couplings and did not buy new bolts but drilled the old ones out in the lathe. You will never have to worry about the gears running without oil if you do this change.

jerry

This pretty much covers how to do the conversion. Top 25 Poster Joined: 03 May 2007 Total Posts: 1962 Re: Lx565 hydrolic oil change Posted: 02-14-2014 11:46 PM Delly, lift the seat and look down on both sides you will see a reduction gear case. There is a small elbow with a plug in it that is the fill point and also the fill level. It takes gear oil 75-90 or whatever you have handy. They are very neglected and mine came from the dealer supposedly serviced and they were low if not empty. From what I found out they had trouble keeping them sealed so on the ls160 they made them connected with the chain case and use chain case oil. If you want Mike10 posted instructions on how to modify the older ones to use chain case oil , I did it and it was time well spent. What it amounts to is removing the side cover and taking out the bottom front bolt from the gear reduction case and replacing it with a bolt from a ls160(they have a thru hole for oil to pass thru) . Then drill a new fill hole in the side cover 2 1/2 inches higher than the old one. Take a 1/2 inch pipe coupling and cut in half and weld over the new fill hole. That's the best I can remember it but you can look it up in Mikes past posts. If I did it again I would drill the new hole a half inch higher as the oil never came up to the old fill point. I also went to the shop and got hydraulic half couplings and did not buy new bolts but drilled the old ones out in the lathe. You will never have to worry about the gears running without oil if you do this change.
As I recall the actual factory mod involved buying a new chaincase side plate and the drilled bolt for the gear reduction box.

Mike10

As I recall the actual factory mod involved buying a new chaincase side plate and the drilled bolt for the gear reduction box.
The center of the plug is 2 9/16 up from the bottom of the plate. Take a 1/2" pipe coupling and saw in half. Drill new hole and weld pipe coupling into place.

Mike10

The center of the plug is 2 9/16 up from the bottom of the plate. Take a 1/2" pipe coupling and saw in half. Drill new hole and weld pipe coupling into place.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/Mike10/_thumbs/IMG_0895_640x480.jpg
IMG_0895_640x480.jpg

Mike10

http://www.skidsteerforum.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/TTTGallery/Mike10/_thumbs/IMG_0895_640x480.jpg
Well, that did not work out so well. At the top of the page in the banner where you can select where you want to go, choose photos. This will open a page with all the photos that have been uploaded to the site by each individual. Go to page 3 and click on mike10 to open my photos. Choose the photo with the yellow plate and ruler. This will open the photo in a larger window so you can at least see the details.

Latest posts