LS140 Running, Now What ???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Frederick

Well after 5 months I completed the engine rebuild and install on my 2002 LS140. Given the $$$ I have spent on MANY dealer parts + machine shops (head and crank reworked, sleeves...), I would have been better off with a crate engine or got a machine that was in better running order. And yes it is important to keep the start spring for the fuel pump in place in the timing cover when you rebuild - 8 hours later and a paper clip, she seem to be running OK. Since I am a new operator not sure on some things. How jumpy/bumpy are these with new tire on hard / non dirt surfaces? I'm not sure the right aux hand control for the bucket is working right - how does it differ from what the right foot peddle does? Can I empty/change the hydro oil by removing the return and running the pump? Thanks, Fred

skidsteer.ca

The right hand contol just hooks to the last of the 3 spools in the main hyd valve. Your foot pedals conect to this valve too. The oil from the pump enters one side of the valve and flow by the 1st , 2nd and then third spools, If the 1st spool is not in its center position (because your moving the pedal with your feet) then the flow is momentaily cut off to the other spools until the spool is returned to center. You need to mae sure your aux hyd spool in in the center position and not locked on or the hyd will act goofy. The aux hyd is the 3rd or last spool to get the flow.
The easiest way to get the hyd oil out is to pump it out your front couplers. You need a spare coupler and some hose.
It is normal for the machines to jump and jerk around some while turning on abrazive hard surfaces like asphalt or rough concrete. The tires really grip these types of surface and makes sliding the wheels sideways alot more difficult. Low traction surfaces like snow make steering vary easy
Ken

Tom Brown

The right hand contol just hooks to the last of the 3 spools in the main hyd valve. Your foot pedals conect to this valve too. The oil from the pump enters one side of the valve and flow by the 1st , 2nd and then third spools, If the 1st spool is not in its center position (because your moving the pedal with your feet) then the flow is momentaily cut off to the other spools until the spool is returned to center. You need to mae sure your aux hyd spool in in the center position and not locked on or the hyd will act goofy. The aux hyd is the 3rd or last spool to get the flow.
The easiest way to get the hyd oil out is to pump it out your front couplers. You need a spare coupler and some hose.
It is normal for the machines to jump and jerk around some while turning on abrazive hard surfaces like asphalt or rough concrete. The tires really grip these types of surface and makes sliding the wheels sideways alot more difficult. Low traction surfaces like snow make steering vary easy
Ken
Ken already has this covered but I'll add a comment. I'm also a new operator and was surprised at how jumpy/bumpy a machine can be on a hard surface. There have been a couple of times I've had to take my hands completely off the controls and wait for the machine to stabilize. If you've ever owned a 4x4 truck with locking differentials, you've felt something similar when you turn. It's the nature of a true 4x4 system.

OP
OP
F

Frederick

Ken already has this covered but I'll add a comment. I'm also a new operator and was surprised at how jumpy/bumpy a machine can be on a hard surface. There have been a couple of times I've had to take my hands completely off the controls and wait for the machine to stabilize. If you've ever owned a 4x4 truck with locking differentials, you've felt something similar when you turn. It's the nature of a true 4x4 system.
Yes, this is my first real 4x4 but the jumping is exactly as noted where I finally have to let go of the controls on these surfaces w/ new tires. It's amazing turning in a circle though. I think I solved my right stick hand control question - this ONLY operates the AUX hydro and nothing else, not the bucket. If the machine had boom / bucket hand controls, they are on both sticks. Thanks for the reply.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Yes, this is my first real 4x4 but the jumping is exactly as noted where I finally have to let go of the controls on these surfaces w/ new tires. It's amazing turning in a circle though. I think I solved my right stick hand control question - this ONLY operates the AUX hydro and nothing else, not the bucket. If the machine had boom / bucket hand controls, they are on both sticks. Thanks for the reply.
What you may want to try is inflating the tires more. This makes them more rigid so thay have to slide sideways verus being soft and dragging the sidewalls sideways. A softer tire will act like a spring when the machine stops it wants to pull back to where it came from. Being soft is like holding a large eraser and pulling it side to side while following a pencil line---hard to do. And the front-to-back weight distribution is critcial too. My old L555 was breeze to operate on hard surfaces because it was designed, as the owners manual stated, to have more rear weight when unloaded, then shift the wieght toward the front when loaded--it even said getting rear wheels off the ground is ok! I usually have steel tracks on my Ls185.b and when they're on there is absolutely no sideways skittering (just made that word up)