Ls140 lifting surprise...and pallet forks.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Dudge

Hi all. Couple of quick questions... I had some thermalite blocks delivered the other day..I think the pallet weighed around 560kg...I was surprised (and annoyed) that my skid couldnt lift them off the ground..it just made a hissing noise and wouldnt budge them...now I have noticed my bucket drifts but it hasnt been stopping it working or significantly impacting me moving big loads of rubble etc about ...could this have an impact on overall lift ability? There are no external leaks anywhere so I presume cylinder needs a re build but not sure if it would stip the ls lifting. Specs seem to suggest the 140 should be able to lift between 580 and 630kgs. I have had no issues with boom or bucket lifting apart from these pallets of blocks..but wondering if I have been down on capacity and not realised...any help or advice?? Also I am looking for some pallet forks in the UK? Any recommendations as to who to deal with...or best value for money...looking for 42 inch maybe 1500kg capacity...thanks all

flyerdan

While the pallet might have been slightly under the max capacity (1250 lb or 568kg), by using pallet forks that probably put the moment arm for the center of weight slightly ahead of the axis that NH rates their machines at. The hissing is probably the bypass opening, like when you hit a cylinder stop. If you are having drift issues, there could be a little spec of something in the relief valve that's allowing leakdown. Before tearing into anythingthing , I'd roll the bucket all the way back and deadhead it for a few seconds to see if it flushes itself out. Not familiar with these machines, just a guess.

OP
OP
D

Dudge

While the pallet might have been slightly under the max capacity (1250 lb or 568kg), by using pallet forks that probably put the moment arm for the center of weight slightly ahead of the axis that NH rates their machines at. The hissing is probably the bypass opening, like when you hit a cylinder stop. If you are having drift issues, there could be a little spec of something in the relief valve that's allowing leakdown. Before tearing into anythingthing , I'd roll the bucket all the way back and deadhead it for a few seconds to see if it flushes itself out. Not familiar with these machines, just a guess.
Thanks or the reply. I think you have nailed the hissing...it feels very much like the hydraulics have reached their capacity and a relief valve is doing its job. I dont know why but i thought the 140 would tip forward if the weight was too much before the relief valve let go. It is a large pallet and so the COG of the blocks would be a reasonable distance away from the attach point so that might explain it. I'll have a go at flushing it out as suggested...although I guess I have already kind of done that while trying to lift the blocks??