LS 185.b hydraulic oil discovered in back

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Pedrosotelo

Hello, I need some help I discovered hydraulic fluid in the back plate area. It appears to be a ton of oil and when I check the dipstick it is empty. I noticed this after I tried to start the machine and move. It looks like there was a drip by the filter And when I remove the filter the inner filtwe where the threads are looks cracked. I don't know if this is just an old filter. The skid steer will not drive forward or reverse and I'm not sure if this is attributed. Not sure if the oil filter was the source of the mass leak. Any thoughts and tips will be greatly appreciated thank you

foton

I would find out if the machines correct filter # and make sure that the one that is cracked is the right one .( I can not imagine why one would crack unless it is the wrong thread). check filter housing for further damages. If none is found replace filter and oil her up and see what happens.

OP
OP
P

Pedrosotelo

Hi foton, thanks for your response. I wonder if the filter was cracked because of the I tried tightening at below zero temps. I did order one and will replace today. I am hoping this will allow me to move the loader backwards/forwards so that i can bring it over to my heated garage.

foton

if there is enough water mixed with hydro oil and it freezes it could cause splitting too, But I would think there would be damage elsewhere also.

OP
OP
P

Pedrosotelo

if there is enough water mixed with hydro oil and it freezes it could cause splitting too, But I would think there would be damage elsewhere also.
So I replaced the filter but I noticed a ton of oil on the bottom plate. More than before. I put in a 5 gallon pail and it dumped it all again. I looked around and found a hose on the left hand (if sitting in loader) disconnected. I feel this may be the culprit. I have attached pictures. It was the hose on the left with a clamp. I had removed the
20220226_134204.jpg
left cover to get it sand blasted last year so there was access to it. I wonder if a neighbor 🤔 or someone disconnected as it was working perfectly fine. Any idea what this hore is for? I assume it may go to the reservoir????

OP
OP
P

Pedrosotelo

So here is where the hose was disconnected and I assume this is where it all leaked. Hose number 13 was disconnected from the hydrostatic pump. it goes to the hydrostatic oil return collector #5. Let me know your thoughts

Hydrostatic Pump - oil collector.PNG

koko

My thoughts are....YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR LEAK! Reconnect the hose, add oil and have someone watch for the leak when you start it. That way you may save a little oil. OR....extend that hose to a clean container, add oil & start. That will confirm your leak.