Ls 180 hydraulic drive pump issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Turner361

I have a hydraulic issue. For some reason I'm getting hydraulic fluid back into the gearbox and is coming out the overflow on the gearbox. I am guessing it's coming back through the drive pump? Now I have no left side drive ( left side when sitting in the seat) Right side is good and all other hydraulics work. 2 speed works on right side. The left side free spins. Any help before I start removing oils and drives. Not sure which drive to start with?

Tazza

Staff member
Getting excess fluid in the gear box sounds like the drive motor is leaking or the case drain lines are plugged creating excess pressure.
If you swap motors from side to side you can see if the issue moves or not to work out if the issue is the pump or motor.

OP
OP
T

Turner361

Getting excess fluid in the gear box sounds like the drive motor is leaking or the case drain lines are plugged creating excess pressure.
If you swap motors from side to side you can see if the issue moves or not to work out if the issue is the pump or motor.
Can I do this by swapping the two large hydraulic lines on the top motors?

tech.35058

Can I do this by swapping the two large hydraulic lines on the top motors?
Easyiest first, i would start with the case drains first. But, if plugged ase drain line has blown the motor shaft seal, this will also now blow the rh motor seal. I would pull the case drain line, catch the oil that drains out & look for metal debris. Do you have a hyd pressure gage you can check case pressure with? Case pressure should be less than 10 psi (I have no specs for this machine ... after working in a hyd shop for about a month, in know just enough to be dangerous) If you find metal debris in the case drain, be sure to check for metal debris in the out put line from the pump too. Good luck ... ce

OP
OP
T

Turner361

Easyiest first, i would start with the case drains first. But, if plugged ase drain line has blown the motor shaft seal, this will also now blow the rh motor seal. I would pull the case drain line, catch the oil that drains out & look for metal debris. Do you have a hyd pressure gage you can check case pressure with? Case pressure should be less than 10 psi (I have no specs for this machine ... after working in a hyd shop for about a month, in know just enough to be dangerous) If you find metal debris in the case drain, be sure to check for metal debris in the out put line from the pump too. Good luck ... ce
Where are the case drains located?

tech.35058

Where are the case drains located?
My machine is an lx865, with a manual parking brake, but i expect they might be similar. Tomorrow night i will go look see if i can spot the fittings. I think they would "t" into the line that goes from the hydraulic tank to the suction side of the pump with the charge pump on it. ( my machine has "side by side" pumps. Later models may have "tandem/inline pumps" but the case drain goinng tp the suction line is still probable. Good luck .. ce

Mike10

My machine is an lx865, with a manual parking brake, but i expect they might be similar. Tomorrow night i will go look see if i can spot the fittings. I think they would "t" into the line that goes from the hydraulic tank to the suction side of the pump with the charge pump on it. ( my machine has "side by side" pumps. Later models may have "tandem/inline pumps" but the case drain goinng tp the suction line is still probable. Good luck .. ce
The leakage is coming from the hydro pump seals becasue the seals get hard from the heat and start leaking. A common problem with older machines. Since the boom and bucket are working, the drive is intact for the left hydro pump, left being determined as you stand behind the machine facing forward. Could have sheared the hydro motor shaft at the side gear case.

tech.35058

The leakage is coming from the hydro pump seals becasue the seals get hard from the heat and start leaking. A common problem with older machines. Since the boom and bucket are working, the drive is intact for the left hydro pump, left being determined as you stand behind the machine facing forward. Could have sheared the hydro motor shaft at the side gear case.
I like mikes answer. Any loud noises at the instant that it quit working?

OP
OP
T

Turner361

I like mikes answer. Any loud noises at the instant that it quit working?
No loud noise. It just lost all power and felt like a slippage while I was turning to the right. I opened the side access plate and the gears are tight I didn't see a key way on the shaft. It only has a small hole. Any way to check that?

OP
OP
T

Turner361

No loud noise. It just lost all power and felt like a slippage while I was turning to the right. I opened the side access plate and the gears are tight I didn't see a key way on the shaft. It only has a small hole. Any way to check that?
I have it up on blocks now and it has zero movement on that side. From the seat position, left side.

Mike10

I have it up on blocks now and it has zero movement on that side. From the seat position, left side.
Since the boom and bucket hydraulics are working, the drive throught the left pump is intact. To narrow the problem down, get some JIC caps and plugs to fit the hydro hoses and fittings. Remove the large hoses at the hydro pump and install caps to the fitting on the hydro pump. Start the engine and slowly stroke the lever. If the engine pulls down, then the hydro pump is working and the problem is in the motor or gearbox the hydro motor is attached to. If the engine does not pull down, then the problem is in the hydro pump.

GemMountain

Hello Mike, 2001 ls180 with oil over flowing the bell housing.
I tried testing if the right or left lever would cause it to fill and it seemed either or.
This was almost 2 months ago now but I am pretty sure that the drive actions on both levers did not cause the over flow.
This lead me to assume the right pump (standing behind machine looking to the front) had been leaking into the bell housing. If I remember correctly, that pump handle all of the boom and bucket functions.
I now have the pump out and in the 3 pieces.
I do not know how to test which seals needs replacing or even how many seals there are . The large oring seals should be fine as no oil leaks to atmosphere, only into the bellhousing aka gear box. So it may be an internal shaft seal of some sort but I have reached the max of my knowledge and looking for some experience/wisdom to get this back together.
Thank You!

GemMountain

So removed my seal, it looks in fine shape. There is visual runout on the shaft at the seal but nothing I can feel.
I can tighten the spring on the seal but makes me think high pressure is to blame for the 10w30 entering the gearbox thru that seal.
Hello Mike, 2001 ls180 with oil over flowing the bell housing.
I tried testing if the right or left lever would cause it to fill and it seemed either or.
This was almost 2 months ago now but I am pretty sure that the drive actions on both levers did not cause the over flow.
This lead me to assume the right pump (standing behind machine looking to the front) had been leaking into the bell housing. If I remember correctly, that pump handle all of the boom and bucket functions.
I now have the pump out and in the 3 pieces.
I do not know how to test which seals needs replacing or even how many seals there are . The large oring seals should be fine as no oil leaks to atmosphere, only into the bellhousing aka gear box. So it may be an internal shaft seal of some sort but I have reached the max of my knowledge and looking for some experience/wisdom to get this back together.
Thank You!

Latest posts