LS 125 cabin heater

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cbucner

Winter is here and I already used my 125 for snow removal and I'm impressed with it. Now I got a cabin heater from curtis and want to install it in the machine but the problem is how to install it on the water circuit. The hoses look like around 1.5" and the heater is around 3/4". From what I've read you should install it series with the water circuit but I don't wanna do that because of the flow restriction that will cause. So If any of you guys installed one or have one installed which way is the best way to install this heater. Thanks in advance.

skidsteer.ca

You want to take the hot supply from a plug just brlow the thermostat and return it somewhere to the bottom of the cylinder block. You don't t into the rad hoses, that water only flows when the thermostat is open anyway.
If you scroll up to the top there is a link "media" and open up the "photos" link from the drop down menu.
In there you will finds some pics of this being done on a 853 and 743 bobcat that may be of some help.
If not email me some pics of your engine and I'll put them up here so we can add a 125 to our list of installs.
Ken

OP
OP
C

cbucner

You want to take the hot supply from a plug just brlow the thermostat and return it somewhere to the bottom of the cylinder block. You don't t into the rad hoses, that water only flows when the thermostat is open anyway.
If you scroll up to the top there is a link "media" and open up the "photos" link from the drop down menu.
In there you will finds some pics of this being done on a 853 and 743 bobcat that may be of some help.
If not email me some pics of your engine and I'll put them up here so we can add a 125 to our list of installs.
Ken
It's not that easy. My engine has the thermostat inside the water pump and there is no access to it unless you remove the pump. I'm in trouble. Any other way to install it? Thanks I attached a link to the pic from the service manual.It's on my server. http://xmario.com/retailcomp/images/ls125/ls125.jpg Let me know what you think. Thanks

skidsteer.ca

It's not that easy. My engine has the thermostat inside the water pump and there is no access to it unless you remove the pump. I'm in trouble. Any other way to install it? Thanks I attached a link to the pic from the service manual.It's on my server. http://xmario.com/retailcomp/images/ls125/ls125.jpg Let me know what you think. Thanks
Is that a plug directly above the water pump shaft going into the impeller area of the pump?
Thats where my ls 160 takes its water.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Is that a plug directly above the water pump shaft going into the impeller area of the pump?
Thats where my ls 160 takes its water.
Ken
There is usually a by-pass hose as Ken said. This allows the coolant to circulate around the engine till it reaches operating temperature and the thermostat opens up. I would suspect there would be ports there to allow you to gain access to coolant?
I guess the other way is to install an electric heater, but i have heard they just don't cut it in the middle of winter, coolant ones work much better and far more efficient.
Looking at the picture again, it appears that the 2 plugs on the top are the ones you want to tap into, but its only a guess.

Tom Brown

There is usually a by-pass hose as Ken said. This allows the coolant to circulate around the engine till it reaches operating temperature and the thermostat opens up. I would suspect there would be ports there to allow you to gain access to coolant?
I guess the other way is to install an electric heater, but i have heard they just don't cut it in the middle of winter, coolant ones work much better and far more efficient.
Looking at the picture again, it appears that the 2 plugs on the top are the ones you want to tap into, but its only a guess.
I wish somebody would make an electrically heated tractor seat for this type of equipment.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I wish somebody would make an electrically heated tractor seat for this type of equipment.
For $40 this can be had from this link http://www.heeters.com/SnbSC.shtml ---it's for a snowmobile but I don't see why it wouldn't work. BTW, I have an enclosed cab with only heat. I bought a $40 real, car/truck, sheep skin seat cover and modified it to fit my skid steer. Even in 90 degree temps. my hiney stays relatively dry---and it's comfortable too. And for the control levers which my legs tended to get bounced against I used two sheep skin car wash mits turned up side down with a hole cut in the finger area. Slip them over the control lever and-- Voila!-- no more banged up legs.

Tom Brown

For $40 this can be had from this link http://www.heeters.com/SnbSC.shtml ---it's for a snowmobile but I don't see why it wouldn't work. BTW, I have an enclosed cab with only heat. I bought a $40 real, car/truck, sheep skin seat cover and modified it to fit my skid steer. Even in 90 degree temps. my hiney stays relatively dry---and it's comfortable too. And for the control levers which my legs tended to get bounced against I used two sheep skin car wash mits turned up side down with a hole cut in the finger area. Slip them over the control lever and-- Voila!-- no more banged up legs.
Thanks for the link, Earthwerks. That's a great idea. I'm going to look at peeling back the skin on a new seat and see if I can come up with something nice. If I'm successful, I'll post back with pics.

Earthwerks Unlimited

Thanks for the link, Earthwerks. That's a great idea. I'm going to look at peeling back the skin on a new seat and see if I can come up with something nice. If I'm successful, I'll post back with pics.
Rather than take the seat apart, first I'd try just laying the element on the seat or even use double-stick tape--the type used for keeping rugs in place on a wood floor--and covering it with a cheap, breathable car seat cover. If it doesn't breathe your butt and legs will sweat and be even colder. If I recall correctly the skid steer seat foam has deep grooves in it that may not work well with the element if it were under the original seat cover. You may have to find a different type of element too--I saw on the Net that some were made of a flexible silicone and carbon powder/fibers. To take this idea even further---ahhh PATENT NOW PENDING---you could use ATV or snowmobile hand grip warmers too--if not the heated hand MITTS. Maaaan I'm SUCH a GENIUS! And to think yesterday I couldn't even spell genius! LOL