Looking to replace worn out V1702, what about a V2203

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KSsteve

I have been looking for a replacement motor for my 743. Rebuilds seem to run around $3k, I found a used V2203. How different is a V2203 compared to the V1702? Will parts like the flywheel, intake, oil pan and other parts swap over? The motor is from a reefer unit. Will a V2203 fit in a 743 without major head aches? Thanks in advance, Steve

Tazza

Staff member
A V2203 will fit up exactly the same but they are more powerful. I spoke with the service manager at Bobcat and he said not to use over a V1903 as if you go too high the pumps will over heat and die. Its not that the power available is too high, its because the engine won't bog down and over-stress the pumps. With a more powerful engine you won't notice that you are drawing more out of the pumps than you should be.
With that said, its your choice i personally see no problem with the change over as long as you don't push it too hard, but beware that the pump was not designed for the extra power of the larger engine. I don't know if the drive shaft inside the pump is strong enough either.
Good luck with your search!

skidsteer.ca

A V2203 will fit up exactly the same but they are more powerful. I spoke with the service manager at Bobcat and he said not to use over a V1903 as if you go too high the pumps will over heat and die. Its not that the power available is too high, its because the engine won't bog down and over-stress the pumps. With a more powerful engine you won't notice that you are drawing more out of the pumps than you should be.
With that said, its your choice i personally see no problem with the change over as long as you don't push it too hard, but beware that the pump was not designed for the extra power of the larger engine. I don't know if the drive shaft inside the pump is strong enough either.
Good luck with your search!
Do these have a fuel screw on the pump that you could turn back to reduce the power?
Most people want to crank them up and on many engines you can increase the fuel a certain % w by simply turning a screw
Turning it down should hurt nothing.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Do these have a fuel screw on the pump that you could turn back to reduce the power?
Most people want to crank them up and on many engines you can increase the fuel a certain % w by simply turning a screw
Turning it down should hurt nothing.
Ken
You could set the max speed, but you still have the extra torque at lower RPM.
I personally think it would work but i'm just going on what their resident 743 expert said, and i have brought it up a few times and he says the exact same thing, "i would never advise to anyone to use larger than a V1902"

You could set the max speed, but you still have the extra torque at lower RPM.
I personally think it would work but i'm just going on what their resident 743 expert said, and i have brought it up a few times and he says the exact same thing, "i would never advise to anyone to use larger than a V1902"
Im looking at a 743 with a bad engine and have a couple of reefer Engines I can get ahold of. So with that being said can a person swap to a bigger pump? Cause I know me theres no backing down or off so I would have a pump problem if the pump could not take it. Thanks

OP
OP
K

KSsteve

Im looking at a 743 with a bad engine and have a couple of reefer Engines I can get ahold of. So with that being said can a person swap to a bigger pump? Cause I know me theres no backing down or off so I would have a pump problem if the pump could not take it. Thanks
I have decided on going with a V1902. I don't know that it would be worth trying to use a larger pump, might as well just keep looking for a different Bobcat. You might look and see if one of the reefer units has a 1902

I have decided on going with a V1902. I don't know that it would be worth trying to use a larger pump, might as well just keep looking for a different Bobcat. You might look and see if one of the reefer units has a 1902
No they are v2202 and having no luck on a bigger unit -- what i need is a cat dozer the size of a bobcat.. with a lot of Iron hagging off it for weight.

Tazza

Staff member
No they are v2202 and having no luck on a bigger unit -- what i need is a cat dozer the size of a bobcat.. with a lot of Iron hagging off it for weight.
As i did mention, a V2203 will work and bolt rite up, the only problem i was told was the pumps can over heat as you have more power behind them so you don't know the pump is straining as the motor will not bog down. This is what i was told by the workshop manager at bobcat, he has been working on 743's from the day they started selling them, so take his advise as you wish, not trying to me nasty, just passing on what was told to me.
Honestly, a larger pump would cause you more trouble than its worth, new pump means larger hoses, larger drive motors, larger oil cooler its just not worth the effort. As long as you keep an eye on the machine i see no reason why the larger engine would not work. I was told the main issue was heat from the pump, so if you installed a gauge to tell you how hot the hydraulics were? over heating the pump WILL kill it, i have seen a pump from an 843 that had its oil cooler plugged. One of the holes in the rotating group wore out REALLY bad as in you could see it flopping around. Watch the heat and you should be ok. The drive shafts are pretty beefy so i can't see you could snap it with the extra 8hp.

As i did mention, a V2203 will work and bolt rite up, the only problem i was told was the pumps can over heat as you have more power behind them so you don't know the pump is straining as the motor will not bog down. This is what i was told by the workshop manager at bobcat, he has been working on 743's from the day they started selling them, so take his advise as you wish, not trying to me nasty, just passing on what was told to me.
Honestly, a larger pump would cause you more trouble than its worth, new pump means larger hoses, larger drive motors, larger oil cooler its just not worth the effort. As long as you keep an eye on the machine i see no reason why the larger engine would not work. I was told the main issue was heat from the pump, so if you installed a gauge to tell you how hot the hydraulics were? over heating the pump WILL kill it, i have seen a pump from an 843 that had its oil cooler plugged. One of the holes in the rotating group wore out REALLY bad as in you could see it flopping around. Watch the heat and you should be ok. The drive shafts are pretty beefy so i can't see you could snap it with the extra 8hp.
For the books v1902 and the v2202 out of a reefer does not have a hole for a dip stick. So these are not good posibilites for a replacment for the V1702 in a 743. Along with other things that don't jive around the head area. The dip stick in these reefer units is in the oil pan and the first thing you would have to do is replace the oil pan because of the mounts for the 743 would be in the way. Maybe some other v1902 or V2202 from other equipment would work but NOT from a reefer unit.

Tazza

Staff member
For the books v1902 and the v2202 out of a reefer does not have a hole for a dip stick. So these are not good posibilites for a replacment for the V1702 in a 743. Along with other things that don't jive around the head area. The dip stick in these reefer units is in the oil pan and the first thing you would have to do is replace the oil pan because of the mounts for the 743 would be in the way. Maybe some other v1902 or V2202 from other equipment would work but NOT from a reefer unit.
You will find the block is machined for a dip stick, its just plugged up. I agree the oil pan will most likely need changing if its the newer pressed metal style and not the old cast iron one.
From memory, my 1702 has 2 dip stick holes, one on either side, but one is plugged, don't quote me on that though.

You will find the block is machined for a dip stick, its just plugged up. I agree the oil pan will most likely need changing if its the newer pressed metal style and not the old cast iron one.
From memory, my 1702 has 2 dip stick holes, one on either side, but one is plugged, don't quote me on that though.
I study the block real close and there was not dip stick plug in the V1902 I looked at but if you say there should have been but the Injector lines would have to be redone because I would have had to replace both intake and exhaust manifolds. Which still Did not look like the Intake would Clear. anyway decided to rebuild my V1702 so I knew what I had or Going to Try anyway.

Tazza

Staff member
I study the block real close and there was not dip stick plug in the V1902 I looked at but if you say there should have been but the Injector lines would have to be redone because I would have had to replace both intake and exhaust manifolds. Which still Did not look like the Intake would Clear. anyway decided to rebuild my V1702 so I knew what I had or Going to Try anyway.
Well it was worth the look i guess.
After the rebuild you know it will be top notch. With proper care it will last a good 6,000 hours! It would be a good idea to get the radiator checked, just to be sure.
Does that rebuild price include pump and injector overhaul? There is no point in getting half a job done. Make sure they do the pump and injectors too. An aftermarket kit to fully re-co the engine will run you about $1200 plus machining and injection work.

OP
OP
K

KSsteve

I am in the process of this swap right not. got real tired of the 1702 that had a lot of blowby. 1902 out of a Carrier Reefer unit. it's not all that big of a deal. 1. There is extra material on the block to drill a hole for the dipstick. 2. Swap the oil pan from your old motor. 3. Swap the exhaust manifold from your old motor 4. Swap the intake manifold and if you want the injector lines. 5. Swap the Motor mounts, flywheel fan. The hard part of all this is trying not to make a big mess! Overall it's pretty much just swapping parts out. Since the oil pan is getting swapped it's the perfect time to drill the dipstick hole. Steve

I am in the process of this swap right not. got real tired of the 1702 that had a lot of blowby. 1902 out of a Carrier Reefer unit. it's not all that big of a deal. 1. There is extra material on the block to drill a hole for the dipstick. 2. Swap the oil pan from your old motor. 3. Swap the exhaust manifold from your old motor 4. Swap the intake manifold and if you want the injector lines. 5. Swap the Motor mounts, flywheel fan. The hard part of all this is trying not to make a big mess! Overall it's pretty much just swapping parts out. Since the oil pan is getting swapped it's the perfect time to drill the dipstick hole. Steve
Thats cool but Most v1902 from reefer units have a hour meter that only goes to 10,000 hours and most have turn it over so about 12,000 to 15,000 hours if not more. I would rather rebuild than the chance of redo ...... Thats just me

Thats cool but Most v1902 from reefer units have a hour meter that only goes to 10,000 hours and most have turn it over so about 12,000 to 15,000 hours if not more. I would rather rebuild than the chance of redo ...... Thats just me
oh One other thing I would not turn it up sence it run it's life at 2200 rpm's to much of a chance of that redo thing. Thats why bobcats only get 3000 to 6000 hours and reefers get 15.000/7500 hours or more the engine has not ran the total hours so you need to keep that i mind too. The hour meter on reefers is the total on time and sence they have cycle sentre (which means they can only run then it needs to ajust temp) you Are looking at less hours about 1/2 or so.

OP
OP
K

KSsteve

Luckily the one I got was rebuilt 1500 hours ago (according to the maint. records), compression is all at the high end of the specs. I may still rebuild my 1702 to have a spare just in case. I just need to get it running real soon, i have some work lined up late next week.

OP
OP
K

KSsteve

Luckily the one I got was rebuilt 1500 hours ago (according to the maint. records), compression is all at the high end of the specs. I may still rebuild my 1702 to have a spare just in case. I just need to get it running real soon, i have some work lined up late next week.
Well I just got done swapping the 1702 for a Direct injection 1902 from a reefer. This was pretty straight forward. Swap the manifolds, oil pan, mounts, flywheel. It runs so much better than the old worn out 1702. Starts fast and easy. Don't even need to use the glow plugs

Tazza

Staff member
Well I just got done swapping the 1702 for a Direct injection 1902 from a reefer. This was pretty straight forward. Swap the manifolds, oil pan, mounts, flywheel. It runs so much better than the old worn out 1702. Starts fast and easy. Don't even need to use the glow plugs
Exactly!
Direct injection is MUCH easier starting. You had no problems with the manifolds?
Any pictures you have would be great! ooh and i guess you now have a spare V1702 head up for grabs :)
Any other issues? you swapped sumps over?

OP
OP
K

KSsteve

Exactly!
Direct injection is MUCH easier starting. You had no problems with the manifolds?
Any pictures you have would be great! ooh and i guess you now have a spare V1702 head up for grabs :)
Any other issues? you swapped sumps over?
The 1702 is available. I did swap the sumps, and manifolds. Excessive blowby, but does run its just hard to start when cold. Starts fine when warm. No problems with manifolds, Injector lines or anything. Everything swapped right over without any issues.

jp8775

The rear mount at the flywheel on the thermo king v2203 is different? The rear seal housing is bigger and the bolt pattern has some difference. How did you get around that?

Latest posts