Looking to purchase a used skid steer... Input anyone??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ironmule

I am looking to purchase a used track machine with about 2000 hrs. My first choice was a Bobcat T300 or T250. I am not a fan of the takeuchi but Im told the Takeuchi (or Gehl or Mustang) is the most reliable machine. I have been shopping for a machine with 70 to 80 horsepower. What do you think about a John Deere (insert model here) or a New Holland C or LT 185. I work construction on the road but am wanting to buy one to do some side work while at home and if it turns into a full time deal, great. If not, I have a decent machine to use for myself and some side work building fences, clearing land and road work for hunting clubs. Are there any particular machines to avoid? What problems should I expect from each machine? Any input good or bad would be nice. This will be my first skid steer purchase and I want to make a good, educated decision.

tailslid1

I bought my first skid steer last year. I scoured this site for recommendations and read a number opinions. Here's what I culled from all the information: 1) Track machines are quite a bit more expensive to operate than wheeled machines. 2) Track machines are not well suited for snow removal. 3) Track machines thrive in flotation situations (loose muddy soil, etc) 4) Track machines tend to ride smoother than wheeled machines. I wound up buying a Bobcat S220. I've had very good luck with it so far. I bought a model that had all the bells and whistles. If you will work in extreme environments, the heated and cooled cab is almost a necessity. Any machine with a couple thousand hours should fit the bill nicely. All else being equal, larger capacity machines tend to be a bit more expensive. They are also heavier and less nimble. Try to size the machine to your desired tasks. Dirt work guys tend to buy the bigger machines, residential and light commercial concrete guys usually use midsize machines, finish landscapers tend to use smaller machines that can get into tight places. Good luck in your search. Rick

OP
OP
I

Ironmule

I bought my first skid steer last year. I scoured this site for recommendations and read a number opinions. Here's what I culled from all the information: 1) Track machines are quite a bit more expensive to operate than wheeled machines. 2) Track machines are not well suited for snow removal. 3) Track machines thrive in flotation situations (loose muddy soil, etc) 4) Track machines tend to ride smoother than wheeled machines. I wound up buying a Bobcat S220. I've had very good luck with it so far. I bought a model that had all the bells and whistles. If you will work in extreme environments, the heated and cooled cab is almost a necessity. Any machine with a couple thousand hours should fit the bill nicely. All else being equal, larger capacity machines tend to be a bit more expensive. They are also heavier and less nimble. Try to size the machine to your desired tasks. Dirt work guys tend to buy the bigger machines, residential and light commercial concrete guys usually use midsize machines, finish landscapers tend to use smaller machines that can get into tight places. Good luck in your search. Rick
Thanks. I live in Louisiana and well, snow isn't an issue but mud is. I spent a good deal of time clearing lots and spreading dirt in New Orleans. The ground down here is somewhat firm until you break the crust. I sunk a T300 several times a month and in most cases was able to get myself out but a few times had to haul another T300 in to extract me. It would be nice to have alot of options but the more you have, the more to go wrong. I will be spreading a good bit of dirt and making new roads on wooded property and clearing land.

lesgawlik

Thanks. I live in Louisiana and well, snow isn't an issue but mud is. I spent a good deal of time clearing lots and spreading dirt in New Orleans. The ground down here is somewhat firm until you break the crust. I sunk a T300 several times a month and in most cases was able to get myself out but a few times had to haul another T300 in to extract me. It would be nice to have alot of options but the more you have, the more to go wrong. I will be spreading a good bit of dirt and making new roads on wooded property and clearing land.
I got a T200 with heat and A/C. When I bought it, the heating system had been disconnected and plugged. The heat exchanger used hot engine oil to heat the cab. I had the shop reconnect the cab heat. I suspected that the cab heat had been disconnected because the interior heat exchanger leaked, and the previous owner was too cheap to fix it. So far, the heat works. The A/C doesn't blow cold air. The shop was reluctant to work on it because it was so cold when they had it. I bought a little 12v fan and made a mount that fit on one of the knobs on the roof window. If you don't have A/C (or if you have it and it doesn't work) a fan like that can make all the difference between a pleasant day's work and misery. The fan had a plastic housing and a plastic mount. The plastic mount lasted a few days before it gave up from the vibration. I took a little steel and redid the plastic in steel. There are four knobs that retain the roof window. I just drilled a hole in a small piece of steel, and welded the mount to it. The knob was replaced. I can remove or install the mount in a minute, and the machine has a 12v outlet in the cab. I have found that with a good fan, you really don't need A/C. Heat is a strong plus, though.

Miker67

I got a T200 with heat and A/C. When I bought it, the heating system had been disconnected and plugged. The heat exchanger used hot engine oil to heat the cab. I had the shop reconnect the cab heat. I suspected that the cab heat had been disconnected because the interior heat exchanger leaked, and the previous owner was too cheap to fix it. So far, the heat works. The A/C doesn't blow cold air. The shop was reluctant to work on it because it was so cold when they had it. I bought a little 12v fan and made a mount that fit on one of the knobs on the roof window. If you don't have A/C (or if you have it and it doesn't work) a fan like that can make all the difference between a pleasant day's work and misery. The fan had a plastic housing and a plastic mount. The plastic mount lasted a few days before it gave up from the vibration. I took a little steel and redid the plastic in steel. There are four knobs that retain the roof window. I just drilled a hole in a small piece of steel, and welded the mount to it. The knob was replaced. I can remove or install the mount in a minute, and the machine has a 12v outlet in the cab. I have found that with a good fan, you really don't need A/C. Heat is a strong plus, though.
My 2 cents......I would avoid a track machine, but that is just my perspective. There are a few things you need to consider. If your looking for a track machine in that hour range, then it will probably be due for some undercarraige work, this = $$$$$.
Now, I have told many folks you would be hard pressed to give me a tracked unit and here is why. Tracked units have an overall higher cost of operation than rubber tire units. They go thru drive motors, tracks, and undercarraige parts quicker than you would expect. To offset this, one would need to keep the machine working at or near full operating rate, and when doing side work the tendancy is to cut the rates to kick start the work coming in. Now, if your projected revenue can justify the extra overhead and/OR you plan on being the only operator (things will last longer this way), then it might be worth it if the work you plan on doing trully needs tracks. Tracks can really be the enemy if you do any volume of work that has you working on concrete/asphalt.
As far as brands, I'm a bobcat freak, if they say imitation is the highest form of flattery, then Bobcat is flattered regularly I feel. The Takeuchi brand is nice, but all the ones I have seen have the joystick style controls and I know of many folks that have problems with that, even on the Bobcat brand. The Bobcats however, I know you can get with the old style controls. They are simpler from my perspective and are more in line with the KISS principle.
I would consider other brands if the price was right and I could get parts/service when and where I wanted. The machine that intrigues me the most is the one folks expect the least though. ASV makes several track machines that some compare to CAT knockoffs. They have a widetrack model that looks to be along the lines of a small bulldozer. That machine impresses me.
I can't speak to the value of other brands, but if you find a used track machine under 20k, it probably needs work, or will soon. Something else you might think about is a rubber tire unit with OTT tracks, or a Loegering kit.

Miker67

My 2 cents......I would avoid a track machine, but that is just my perspective. There are a few things you need to consider. If your looking for a track machine in that hour range, then it will probably be due for some undercarraige work, this = $$$$$.
Now, I have told many folks you would be hard pressed to give me a tracked unit and here is why. Tracked units have an overall higher cost of operation than rubber tire units. They go thru drive motors, tracks, and undercarraige parts quicker than you would expect. To offset this, one would need to keep the machine working at or near full operating rate, and when doing side work the tendancy is to cut the rates to kick start the work coming in. Now, if your projected revenue can justify the extra overhead and/OR you plan on being the only operator (things will last longer this way), then it might be worth it if the work you plan on doing trully needs tracks. Tracks can really be the enemy if you do any volume of work that has you working on concrete/asphalt.
As far as brands, I'm a bobcat freak, if they say imitation is the highest form of flattery, then Bobcat is flattered regularly I feel. The Takeuchi brand is nice, but all the ones I have seen have the joystick style controls and I know of many folks that have problems with that, even on the Bobcat brand. The Bobcats however, I know you can get with the old style controls. They are simpler from my perspective and are more in line with the KISS principle.
I would consider other brands if the price was right and I could get parts/service when and where I wanted. The machine that intrigues me the most is the one folks expect the least though. ASV makes several track machines that some compare to CAT knockoffs. They have a widetrack model that looks to be along the lines of a small bulldozer. That machine impresses me.
I can't speak to the value of other brands, but if you find a used track machine under 20k, it probably needs work, or will soon. Something else you might think about is a rubber tire unit with OTT tracks, or a Loegering kit.
Btw, I live in Lousisana too and will keep my eyes peeled for you. I am only a couple hours from NOLA.

Quadordie

Btw, I live in Lousisana too and will keep my eyes peeled for you. I am only a couple hours from NOLA.
Due diligence is so important. Lift the cab and check for leaks and if the machine has been cleaned/maintained. Pull the access plates on the side to make sure it is clean underneath and look for rust. Pull the fuse/relay cover to make sure it is clean and dry. Figure out where the machine (mine was serviced by Bobcat) was serviced and GET THE RECORDS. I had to call about 5 times, but by God, I got a complete service record from the day they bought it. Look for rust any where and any place. Check bobtach and make sure it is solid. Rusted pins are a Bear, check all pins for rust, if they are rusted or don't have grease, look out. especially the lower pins on the back of the machine for the lift cylinders. YOU NEED TO FIND A GOOD MACHINE/HYDRAULIC SHOP. Paying Bobcat for general repairs is one thing, but if you have cylinders and general metal work to do (pins froze, etc.), you have to have a good shop in your short list of people to help out. Ask around or someone who has a machine, they will know a good local shop. For example, I use Azdell Machine and Hydraulics in Mexico MO and these people are SAINTS. Rates are much more reasonable than Bobcat and they really take care of their customers. Finally, if you are looking to find parts, Bobcat has never heard or seen the internet (unlike JDparts.come for example) Must have a repair and parts manual. Fortunately, you can usually find a copy on this forum.

pappy843

for what you are doing the track machine sounds ideal. without having snow removal work the stable platform of the track machine which allows for easy grading and its pure unbridled pushing power will be ideal for the work you mentioned. as far as the manufacturer i myself prefer bobcat but have run the takeucci and caterpillar track machines and both perform well te condition of the machine and ita previos maintince are the number one concern

Miker67

for what you are doing the track machine sounds ideal. without having snow removal work the stable platform of the track machine which allows for easy grading and its pure unbridled pushing power will be ideal for the work you mentioned. as far as the manufacturer i myself prefer bobcat but have run the takeucci and caterpillar track machines and both perform well te condition of the machine and ita previos maintince are the number one concern
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qavETmMTs4

legman

If you want a track loader DON'T buy a Bobcat. Buy an ASV RC50, or the lighter ASV RC30. If you do a YouTube search for "bobcat versus ASV" you'll see three killer videos that rally tell the tale. The ASV runs over all of the competition HANDS DOWN. It has much better traction, better power and it has a full suspension system that no other track loader has........so it doesn't ride like a rock - like the Bobcats do. If you buy any other track loader THEN drive a different machine, you're going to kick yourself squarely in the butt!! I buy and sell loaders and compact tractors and owned a RC50 2 years ago. The thing was totally AWESOME!

Fishfiles

If you want a track loader DON'T buy a Bobcat. Buy an ASV RC50, or the lighter ASV RC30. If you do a YouTube search for "bobcat versus ASV" you'll see three killer videos that rally tell the tale. The ASV runs over all of the competition HANDS DOWN. It has much better traction, better power and it has a full suspension system that no other track loader has........so it doesn't ride like a rock - like the Bobcats do. If you buy any other track loader THEN drive a different machine, you're going to kick yourself squarely in the butt!! I buy and sell loaders and compact tractors and owned a RC50 2 years ago. The thing was totally AWESOME!
ASV would be on the very bottom of my list and consider it one step above junk , but what do I know I only repair them ------- Takeuchi is on top , they were the pioneers of tracked loaders like 20 years ago and their system is still the same , what I like about Takeuchi is factory support , try and call other brands with a issue and see what you get , takeuchi has helped me numerous times over the years ---------- I was never much of a fan of New Holland but I have to say the C190 is a mule , parts and product support is very lacking in the New Orleans area as the dealer is by far the worst of all heavy equipment dealers in the area , I repaired a seat sensor and a bottom roller on one yesterday and got to test it out some , I like the under carriage as it is a Takeuchi knock off ---------------- the new Kubota is well built and stable , Kubota builds nice stuff but pricey -------- I like Bobcat but they have gotten too much into electronics and I wouldn't recomend buying a new one yet , need some time to see where the new designs from Doosan are going , a T300/250 with foot controlls is great , hand controlled JSC is asking for trouble ------------ looking at it from the maintance side I would stay away from Cat , ASV , Positrax , JCB and Volvo which is a JCB with decals , I can't say much for the Komatsu as they are few and far between around here and have not had much time on them ----------just like anything there is going to be good ones and bad ones in anything you buy

Miker67

ASV would be on the very bottom of my list and consider it one step above junk , but what do I know I only repair them ------- Takeuchi is on top , they were the pioneers of tracked loaders like 20 years ago and their system is still the same , what I like about Takeuchi is factory support , try and call other brands with a issue and see what you get , takeuchi has helped me numerous times over the years ---------- I was never much of a fan of New Holland but I have to say the C190 is a mule , parts and product support is very lacking in the New Orleans area as the dealer is by far the worst of all heavy equipment dealers in the area , I repaired a seat sensor and a bottom roller on one yesterday and got to test it out some , I like the under carriage as it is a Takeuchi knock off ---------------- the new Kubota is well built and stable , Kubota builds nice stuff but pricey -------- I like Bobcat but they have gotten too much into electronics and I wouldn't recomend buying a new one yet , need some time to see where the new designs from Doosan are going , a T300/250 with foot controlls is great , hand controlled JSC is asking for trouble ------------ looking at it from the maintance side I would stay away from Cat , ASV , Positrax , JCB and Volvo which is a JCB with decals , I can't say much for the Komatsu as they are few and far between around here and have not had much time on them ----------just like anything there is going to be good ones and bad ones in anything you buy
Would you care to eleborate on the various brands that you feel aren't to be desired? It's one thing to say don't buy something, but it would be nice to know specifically why.

legman

Go somewhere and drive an ASV RC50 or RC80. If you do and compare that iy ANY Bobcat you wouldn't take the time to pee on a Bobcat. The ASV rides SO much better, they have easy-on-the-wrist electronic controls and have MUCH better traction than any other make - except of course the catg track loaders that are almost duplicates of the ASV. Do a search on YouTube for "asv versus bobcat" and watch the videos!

Tazza

Staff member
Go somewhere and drive an ASV RC50 or RC80. If you do and compare that iy ANY Bobcat you wouldn't take the time to pee on a Bobcat. The ASV rides SO much better, they have easy-on-the-wrist electronic controls and have MUCH better traction than any other make - except of course the catg track loaders that are almost duplicates of the ASV. Do a search on YouTube for "asv versus bobcat" and watch the videos!
I have never run a tracked machine, but i know that those videos are a little bias. They know where the oppositions weaknesses are, so they will use a larger piece of rock or wood for the tracks to go over to make it look worse than it really is. They know where they shine, and where they fail. They will show you the good, yet will not show you the bad points.
Don't get me wrong, they all do it, why wouldn't you? Its all about marketing.
The best advise you can get is to take it for a drive your self before you commit to any brand. Try them out, see what feels good and what the parts/service is like.

Lavorn

Suggest you NOT buy a Bobcat as the Factory will leave you out to dry like they have those of us with the 751 Models that we can't get parts for from them or anyone else. I also have a Volvo which operates like the Bobcat but has a lot more power and is overall a much better machine as the JDeere I have. I have also run the Case and while it operates differently as does the JD, it is also a great machine. The other problem with Bobcats is that the engines are generally too small and underpowered machines have much shorter engine life which costs you more money in the long run no matter what you pay for the machine. New Holland has the high lift on most models which has it's advantages over Bobcat too! I have owned three Bobcats and will never buy another as all major Brands of others are better and their dealers take care of you, unlike Bobcat.

Tazza

Staff member
Suggest you NOT buy a Bobcat as the Factory will leave you out to dry like they have those of us with the 751 Models that we can't get parts for from them or anyone else. I also have a Volvo which operates like the Bobcat but has a lot more power and is overall a much better machine as the JDeere I have. I have also run the Case and while it operates differently as does the JD, it is also a great machine. The other problem with Bobcats is that the engines are generally too small and underpowered machines have much shorter engine life which costs you more money in the long run no matter what you pay for the machine. New Holland has the high lift on most models which has it's advantages over Bobcat too! I have owned three Bobcats and will never buy another as all major Brands of others are better and their dealers take care of you, unlike Bobcat.
The 751 was the alien in the bobcat fleet. It was the only one they did with a different engine that was in there for only a year or so. Most of the others in this size range are Kubota, which parts are easily bought.

waggles

8 posts and your an expert on Bobcats ? Anyone who has been in the industry for a while knows about what engines to avoid. If you have owned 3 bobcats im surprised you bought the 751 as it was only made for a very short time and was not popular due to that engine. I had a 743 that I put 20,000 hrs on in 20 yrs, thats pretty good in my books. My new S130 is a much better machine all around, if you use the right machine for the job you wont have problems. Buying a track machine to use is conditions that suit a tyred machine is only asking for trouble and vice versa.

skidsteer.ca

8 posts and your an expert on Bobcats ? Anyone who has been in the industry for a while knows about what engines to avoid. If you have owned 3 bobcats im surprised you bought the 751 as it was only made for a very short time and was not popular due to that engine. I had a 743 that I put 20,000 hrs on in 20 yrs, thats pretty good in my books. My new S130 is a much better machine all around, if you use the right machine for the job you wont have problems. Buying a track machine to use is conditions that suit a tyred machine is only asking for trouble and vice versa.
Here is a example of what not to buy.
"Paint just needs touched up and she will be good as new" lol
IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg

Exhaust is broke and everthing isblack with soot and full of sawdust. Wonder it never burnt.
IMG_2462.jpg

Cab is smashed down so bad the guages are hanging on the wires
IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

Miker67

Here is a example of what not to buy.
"Paint just needs touched up and she will be good as new" lol

Exhaust is broke and everthing isblack with soot and full of sawdust. Wonder it never burnt.

Cab is smashed down so bad the guages are hanging on the wires
Ya, but check out that seat..........immaculate. Looks like it's been armor all'd. I would take it if the price is right. Someone drove mine off a barge before I got it and they had to send divers after it, but the price was right......next to nothing.