lift cylinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
You need to remove the cylinder, un-screw the gland, remove the ram rod and piston. Un-screw the nut on the rod and remove the rod from the gland. Replace the seals, note their direction!!!!! re-install the rod using lots of oil, put a new seal on the piston, bolt the piston to the rod, use loctight. Use more oil on the piston and slide it back into the tube. Lube up the gland and screw it back in.
Its that easy.

Fishfiles

I leave the casing pinned to the machine and only unscrew the gland nut and pull the rod out the case , you will have to lossen the hose going to the back side of the case to relieve the vaccumm that will occur when you try and pull out the rod , loosen that hose out away from the cylinder under the boom where the two hoses meet , a very large pier of channel locks work well to unscrew the gland nut if it isn't too tight and works well to finish off unscrewing it after a froozen one is broke loose

Tazza

Staff member
I leave the casing pinned to the machine and only unscrew the gland nut and pull the rod out the case , you will have to lossen the hose going to the back side of the case to relieve the vaccumm that will occur when you try and pull out the rod , loosen that hose out away from the cylinder under the boom where the two hoses meet , a very large pier of channel locks work well to unscrew the gland nut if it isn't too tight and works well to finish off unscrewing it after a froozen one is broke loose
That is an option too, remember to jack the lift arms up a little so you can get the rod out.

wings5j

Im going to do it saturday tks
Just one other thought to add. I had a lift cylinder crack at a weld joint on the bottom end (back end) of my 742B. It was an easy fix but couldn't see the crack until totally removing the cylinder from the machine. John

OP
OP
C

chuyn

Just one other thought to add. I had a lift cylinder crack at a weld joint on the bottom end (back end) of my 742B. It was an easy fix but couldn't see the crack until totally removing the cylinder from the machine. John
Everything went fine with the cylinder reseal. tks.

MikeLawrence

How did you fix this? Did you remove all the guts and reweld?

thanks