Bobcat 743B lift Cylinder Help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MikeLawrence

I have a BC 743b and one of the lift arms is leaking oil at the connector at the front of the cylinder. It is close to the cylinder wall where the connector appears to be welded to the cylinder.

Both cylinders are mounted with the connectors pointed down toward the ground. The one leaking appears to be bent probably from something getting between it and the frame.

The pics I see of 743b's show the cylinders mounted with the connectors upwards. Can they be mounted either way?

Is that connector welded in?

Can it be welded if I remove all the guts first?

Or do I have to buy an new cylinder?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Chris 8603

Mine are mounted upward on a 743. It really doesn't matter which way for it to operate correctly. The fittings are welded onto the cylinder barrel, a good tig welder could most likely weld up the fitting. I have had some others done in the past with good luck. Like you said just remove the seals and packing.
Good luck

OP
OP
M

MikeLawrence

Mine are mounted upward on a 743. It really doesn't matter which way for it to operate correctly. The fittings are welded onto the cylinder barrel, a good tig welder could most likely weld up the fitting. I have had some others done in the past with good luck. Like you said just remove the seals and packing.
Good luck
Thanks Chris,

With the connectors pointed down, there is only about an inch of clearance between the connector and the frame. So being bent to the side slightly was probably due to something getting between.

Maybe at some point, they began installing them with the connectors on the topside...

I have a stick and mig welder, but not sure I want to try.

Wouldn't happen to have a good one for sale?

laurencen

you can weld it up with a mig welder, trick is clean and no oil in the crack, slightly groove the crack, test the welder on scrap to get a clean clean weld and go for it, worst that can happen it leaks again and try again, I would rotate the cylinders facing upward

Chris 8603

Thanks Chris,

With the connectors pointed down, there is only about an inch of clearance between the connector and the frame. So being bent to the side slightly was probably due to something getting between.

Maybe at some point, they began installing them with the connectors on the topside...

I have a stick and mig welder, but not sure I want to try.

Wouldn't happen to have a good one for sale?
No sir I don't. If you were here closer I would help you weld it.

wings5j

I have a BC 743b and one of the lift arms is leaking oil at the connector at the front of the cylinder. It is close to the cylinder wall where the connector appears to be welded to the cylinder.

Both cylinders are mounted with the connectors pointed down toward the ground. The one leaking appears to be bent probably from something getting between it and the frame.

The pics I see of 743b's show the cylinders mounted with the connectors upwards. Can they be mounted either way?

Is that connector welded in?

Can it be welded if I remove all the guts first?

Or do I have to buy an new cylinder?

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Mike,

Fittings down I believe is normal. If you need more clearance, I would check the spot where the lift arms rest on the frame. After years of use this area can get worn and needs built back up.

If the fitting attach point that is leaking is the one furthest away from the push rod end, you can probably get away with welding it without disassembling the cylinder. Once you have removed the cylinder, just fully extend the rod to get the piston as far away as you can.

Good luck,

John

Markle

Mine are down. i think the rear grease zerk access might be different if the cylinder was rotated.

Attachments

• 20221014_121614.jpeg
    20221014_121614.jpeg
    967.1 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts