leaking sectional valve mustang 345

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mustang345

Hi all, I am new to the skidsteer forum. I have just purchased a mustang 345 skid steer and i could use a bit of help.The problem i am having is the sectional valve for the arm lift is leaking the spool is shot. I have tried the dealer and several hydraulic shops in town and they are of no help . Does any one have any info or web sites I can some info from. Iam looking for a spool or the complete unit . Or would any one know if there is any way I can retro fit a set of updated valves into this machine. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank- you

Des

Welcome to the forum,I hope you find this as useful as I have. The spool that is shot ,is it just worn,if so you can have it hard chromed, done this many times for customers , spools cost about $110 to $220 depending on size . You should be able to find a hard chroming shop to do this for you,but make sure the bore in that section is not badly worn (most times the bore is ok).

OP
OP
M

mustang345

Welcome to the forum,I hope you find this as useful as I have. The spool that is shot ,is it just worn,if so you can have it hard chromed, done this many times for customers , spools cost about $110 to $220 depending on size . You should be able to find a hard chroming shop to do this for you,but make sure the bore in that section is not badly worn (most times the bore is ok).
Hi des Thanks for the info i have checked into having the spool done they are saying it will cost between $600-$900 just for the spool. the bore looks ok but they are trying to sell one aswell . The dealer will only sell me the bank of 2 valves for $1300 . just noticed u said u have done it for customers do u do it your self, where are u located would it be possible to send u the assembly to have redone.I find $1300 a bit steep. How does that sound to u? I am located in alberta thanks for the reply

Des

Hi des Thanks for the info i have checked into having the spool done they are saying it will cost between $600-$900 just for the spool. the bore looks ok but they are trying to sell one aswell . The dealer will only sell me the bank of 2 valves for $1300 . just noticed u said u have done it for customers do u do it your self, where are u located would it be possible to send u the assembly to have redone.I find $1300 a bit steep. How does that sound to u? I am located in alberta thanks for the reply
Im in Western Australia ,where did you get the quote from, did they quote to chrome the seal areas? or the complete spool? You only need to do the seal areas if it has external leakage ,but if it has internal leakage then you need to do the complete spool.You need to go to a w/shop that only does hard chroming not a hyd shop or dealer.In WA we have shops such as Industrial Crome for example.

OP
OP
M

mustang345

Im in Western Australia ,where did you get the quote from, did they quote to chrome the seal areas? or the complete spool? You only need to do the seal areas if it has external leakage ,but if it has internal leakage then you need to do the complete spool.You need to go to a w/shop that only does hard chroming not a hyd shop or dealer.In WA we have shops such as Industrial Crome for example.
Hi again Des sorry for the late reply I have found a few hard chroming shops in town that I am checking into. To see if they can do the hard chroming .I believe the leak is external it is leaking where the spool comes out of the valve body there is 2 seals which i replaced and made no difference. And that is where i noticed the spool is a bit worn. It seems around here they dont like to rebuild anything they just try to sell u a new unit.I wanted to thank you again for ur help I will keep u informed on how things work out.

Tazza

Staff member
Hi again Des sorry for the late reply I have found a few hard chroming shops in town that I am checking into. To see if they can do the hard chroming .I believe the leak is external it is leaking where the spool comes out of the valve body there is 2 seals which i replaced and made no difference. And that is where i noticed the spool is a bit worn. It seems around here they dont like to rebuild anything they just try to sell u a new unit.I wanted to thank you again for ur help I will keep u informed on how things work out.
Are you sure the seals were the right way around? how bad were the scores in the spool? i wonder if it could be a crack in the housing.....

Des

Are you sure the seals were the right way around? how bad were the scores in the spool? i wonder if it could be a crack in the housing.....
Hay Tazza hows it going ,still fiddling ? lol .I think from what I understand is the spool is badly scored which is what I would expect for the vintage of the machine, I see this on a lot of later mod machines such as 940 mustangs too.

Tazza

Staff member
Hay Tazza hows it going ,still fiddling ? lol .I think from what I understand is the spool is badly scored which is what I would expect for the vintage of the machine, I see this on a lot of later mod machines such as 940 mustangs too.
I am indeed, when time allows that is.
I wonder if its a design flaw that allows crud to get in and score the sealing surfaces.

Des

I am indeed, when time allows that is.
I wonder if its a design flaw that allows crud to get in and score the sealing surfaces.
What I think happens is the wiper seal gets worn, then the dirt gets past the wiper seal and sits between wiper and pressure seal and starts to damage the spool. A control valve that sit low in the machine tends to not last as long as the ones that sit high up , the early 940s had the valve under the floor plate , always have problems , the later 940 valve was moved on top of the chain case, not so many problems.

Latest posts