Mustang 960

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

westwind

I have a mustang 960 that will start and run for about 30 seconds, then dies. It will start again in about 15 seconds...then dies. It has fresh fuel and a new fuel filter. I'm an old retired construction man, and definitely
not a mechanic. Would appreciate all suggestions as to where to start. I'm good at replacing parts...but that can get expensive without a direction to head. Thanks

brdgbldr

Not familiar with that machine but first thing to check would be your fuel lines.

If it has a primer ball, does it go flat?

You could have dirty fuel that is causing a blockage at the intake tube.

The fuel pickup line could be cracked or broken.

Firefighter

check the fuel supply from the tank, by removing the hose to the filter base, u should get a steady flow . the tank being higher than
the injection pump, it should bleed itself eventually, the filter base has a primer pump built into the top center
if u unscrew the plastic knob, then pull out u have plunger pump

HughF

I can put an electronic copy of the service manual on my google drive, if that's of any help? I've got a 960 too, but can't really pass on much more advice apart from, check that fuel is getting to the pump and the wiring to your stop solenoid is good.

OP
OP
W

westwind

I tried everything suggested in replies to my post on 3/10. Fuel runs freely to filter. Pumped primer and started. Ran for about 2 minutes and died . Starts again after about 10 or 15 seconds...but dies. Acts like in runs out of fuel. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic and the only shop that works on them is more than 60 miles away. Injector pump? Need a direction. Thanks....Westwind

foton

I would think that engine has some type of lift pump either electric or run off the engine,you need to check that out to see if it is defective, it is plumbed in just before the injector pump.

HughF

The Isuzi in the 960 doesn't have a lift pump, it relies on the pump in the front of the injection pump.

You're looking at an air issue, air is getting into the pump. It will either the the throttle shaft seals or the injection pump input seal.