Leaking hydraulic cylinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

73Eldo

I have a cylinder that seems to leak only when the machine is not running. I assume this is because the seals are shot but under pressure they still seal? Whats involved in a rebuild? Is there some info online somewhere that talks about rebuilding or replacing seals in general?

Fishfiles

it would help to know what machine and what clyinder you are trying to do as the are many combinations and it could be a waste of time typing

Tazza

Staff member
it would help to know what machine and what clyinder you are trying to do as the are many combinations and it could be a waste of time typing
99% of cylinders are very easy to repair, seal kits are usually cheap too.
It would help with a few more details.

OP
OP

73Eldo

99% of cylinders are very easy to repair, seal kits are usually cheap too.
It would help with a few more details.
Its the tilt one on my Mustang. Its the type that has a nut on the ram end, the nut was loose. Its now tight but still seems to leave a puddle after its been sitting.

skidsteer.ca

Its the tilt one on my Mustang. Its the type that has a nut on the ram end, the nut was loose. Its now tight but still seems to leave a puddle after its been sitting.
They are pretty easy to do. Asuming the barrel and rod are not damaged. Just take it apart and take the piston and rod seals seals to you favourite industrial supplier and they should be able to match the parts up. Worst case you go to a mustang dealer and have them order it if it not in stock. Often the OEM dealer will want $100 for a cylinder packing kit that can be had for $20 through a industrial supply place.
Ken

OP
OP

73Eldo

They are pretty easy to do. Asuming the barrel and rod are not damaged. Just take it apart and take the piston and rod seals seals to you favourite industrial supplier and they should be able to match the parts up. Worst case you go to a mustang dealer and have them order it if it not in stock. Often the OEM dealer will want $100 for a cylinder packing kit that can be had for $20 through a industrial supply place.
Ken
#5 was the nut that was loose. Tightning it did not seem to do anything and it didnt seem to be hurting anything either, What does it do? What holds #3 in? It looks like once that is loose the rest will slide out?
P1010003.jpg picture by 73eldo

jerry

#5 was the nut that was loose. Tightning it did not seem to do anything and it didnt seem to be hurting anything either, What does it do? What holds #3 in? It looks like once that is loose the rest will slide out?
It looks like #6 is a snap ring which would hold #3 in although #5 looks threaded, it is a unusual setup to have both snap ring and threaded retainer but there are a lot of different cylinder types. To stop the leak you would probably need #7,8,13 and 14 but if you have it apart replace them all. clean it really good first and find out just where it is leaking from by using some thing as a tracer maybe bath powder or something like that. It may be a cracked fitting or some other external problem other than seals.

Tazza

Staff member
It looks like #6 is a snap ring which would hold #3 in although #5 looks threaded, it is a unusual setup to have both snap ring and threaded retainer but there are a lot of different cylinder types. To stop the leak you would probably need #7,8,13 and 14 but if you have it apart replace them all. clean it really good first and find out just where it is leaking from by using some thing as a tracer maybe bath powder or something like that. It may be a cracked fitting or some other external problem other than seals.
That setup has me baffled too... I pulled apart my tilt cylinder on Saturday..... I didn't have a problem of it spinning though, it wouldn't move!!!!! a few hours, many MANY bad words and a gland nut that looks like it was chewed by a dog....
Can you see a slot cut in the side of the cylinder at all? i have had a cylinder that had a slot cut in it with a retaining ring that when you spun the gland nut with a screw driver under the ring it would spin out the hole, keep turning till the ring is out then the gland nut would pull out. Before i was turning it and it wasn't coming apart, till i worked out the ring. Item number 6 looks like the ring i mentioned, see if you can see a slot with what looks like fencing wire behind it.

OP
OP

73Eldo

The oil drips out the end of the cyl and runs down the shaft. The book lists a kit that is items 6-14. If the kit cost too much or is not available from owatonna I will just get the same stuff from a local shop. 6 is listed as a snap ring and 5 is a lock nut. If the whole thing turns out to be trash or the parts cost too much I have seen new replacements for around $100.

Latest posts