L455: want to convert to "modern" QA

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GLWelder

The NH QA on my skid loader is broken and the bucket is welded on. I can grind off the welds to free the bucket fairly easily. I am considering buying an after market QA without brackets and welding it directly to the old QA. I figure this would keep the new QA as close as to the lift arms as one that was connected to the lift arm pins. Any opinions?

skidsteer.ca

You want to keep it as close as possible because extending it forward will reduce your lift capacity. Also the modern skidsteers have a the bucket with a back wall that leans forward @ 20 degrees. If you bucket have a back wall that is 90 degrees to the floor of the bucket (some older machines are this way) then if you rent or buy a new bucket it won't tilt down enough to to dump the contents out. So pay attention to the roll back angle. If the roll back angle match try to the front new qa parallel with the front on the old qa.
Ken

Earthwerks Unlimited

You want to keep it as close as possible because extending it forward will reduce your lift capacity. Also the modern skidsteers have a the bucket with a back wall that leans forward @ 20 degrees. If you bucket have a back wall that is 90 degrees to the floor of the bucket (some older machines are this way) then if you rent or buy a new bucket it won't tilt down enough to to dump the contents out. So pay attention to the roll back angle. If the roll back angle match try to the front new qa parallel with the front on the old qa.
Ken
I had a similar situtation with an old L555. I bought a new QA plate form the dealer for about $800. That way I didn't have to worry about any fitment issues. While I had the old one off I replaced all the bushings down there. Once you install a new QA you can still use your old bucket IF you cut off the old QA style backplate and weld on a new backplate (called a balnk) (I would buy it from the NH dealer, not one of those chintzy ones off eBay)

OP
OP
G

GLWelder

Ken
Thanks for the reply, My bucket does have an angled back wall so that won't be an issue. I too thought about putting the load out further and reducing lift cap. I just don't know if putting it out 3-4" further will limit it significantly.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the reply, My bucket does have an angled back wall so that won't be an issue. I too thought about putting the load out further and reducing lift cap. I just don't know if putting it out 3-4" further will limit it significantly.
3 to 4" won't make much difference. 8 to 10 would be different. It is a very good idea for a older loader it just needs to be well thought out.
Ken

OP
OP
G

GLWelder

3 to 4" won't make much difference. 8 to 10 would be different. It is a very good idea for a older loader it just needs to be well thought out.
Ken
Thanks again for the feedback. I think welding the new QA to the existing will keep it close. Actually it will be as close as the other versions that attach to the arms via brackets. Heres another question; My bucket won't articulate back towards the operator, my manual says I should get 35 degrees of tilt. I'm not sure what was done to limit this movement and I would like to correct when I change the Q/A.

mllud

Thanks again for the feedback. I think welding the new QA to the existing will keep it close. Actually it will be as close as the other versions that attach to the arms via brackets. Heres another question; My bucket won't articulate back towards the operator, my manual says I should get 35 degrees of tilt. I'm not sure what was done to limit this movement and I would like to correct when I change the Q/A.
If the back of your bucket has a 90 degree angle your tilt back will be limited. The newer buckets angle forward on the back to correct the problem. I dont know what that angle is.
If you plan to use the same bucket You will have to rework the back.

Earthwerks Unlimited

If the back of your bucket has a 90 degree angle your tilt back will be limited. The newer buckets angle forward on the back to correct the problem. I dont know what that angle is.
If you plan to use the same bucket You will have to rework the back.
Rather than cut-n-cobble, why not just buy a new or used bucket that will work?

skidsteer.ca

Rather than cut-n-cobble, why not just buy a new or used bucket that will work?
If you roll ack at the ground is limited then do you have excessive dump angle at full lift height? If so you can somehow split the difference.
The bucket should dump around 45 degrees at full lift and roll back about 25 to 30 degrees at ground level. Not getting these angle close to these figures will cause some agrivation with the final product and may limit the use of standard skidsteer attachments
Ken

OP
OP
G

GLWelder

If you roll ack at the ground is limited then do you have excessive dump angle at full lift height? If so you can somehow split the difference.
The bucket should dump around 45 degrees at full lift and roll back about 25 to 30 degrees at ground level. Not getting these angle close to these figures will cause some agrivation with the final product and may limit the use of standard skidsteer attachments
Ken
This is my first skid steer, so I just figured that my bucket wasn't suppossed to roll back toward me. This was frustrating because material of course spills out of the bucket when traveling. I have almost no rollback at ground level and plenty of dump angle at full height, though I haven't measured it. I plan on installing a new QA soon and will have to pay attention to these angles when mounting it. I will take pictures when I do this small project.