L455 information please

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wolfe2118

I just picked up a L455 that has a cracked cylinder head. I've seen people swap a gasoline engine of the same or similar HP in different machines but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Is that a thing or is the Kubota D1402 still the best route? Full disclosure I know nothing about the machine or diesel engines.

Secondly, what are bucket options? Mine does not have a bucket and a standard quick attachment is not the same size, are there other manufacturers that use the same size attachments?

Stef

@wolfe2118, I purchased a L454 a number of years ago. It is the gas version of your machine, and ran good until it launched a rod out the side of the block. Parts for it can not be found. I re-powered it with an air cooled 999cc Kohler engine. It was quite a bit of work, and required quite a bit of weight to be added to the back to makeup for for the difference. My suggestion is travel to the ends of the Earth to see if you could repair your motor or stay with a diesel, but all depends on the equipment/ work space you have available. As for bucket, never had to look for one but the mount appears to be pretty unique. All things considered, the machine is perfect for around the yard. -stef

OP
OP
W

wolfe2118

Thanks for the reply.
I found a brand new cylinder head locally and got it going the day after I posted my message. After fixing all the little stuff, adjusting the drive controls so it didn't move on its own, and adding a coolant gauge it runs great.
I purchased a brand new bucket and tack welded some 3/8" x 2" steel on adapting it to the New Holland style attachment. I only tack welded so I could plow snow that was forecasted but never materialized. My thought was that if the previous owner found the original bucket I would cut the welds and sell the new bucket. Now that I've taken time to research it more I'm going to fabricate a modern attachment to replace the New Holland style when time allows.

Jim A

@wolfe2118, I purchased a L454 a number of years ago. It is the gas version of your machine, and ran good until it launched a rod out the side of the block. Parts for it can not be found. I re-powered it with an air cooled 999cc Kohler engine. It was quite a bit of work, and required quite a bit of weight to be added to the back to makeup for for the difference. My suggestion is travel to the ends of the Earth to see if you could repair your motor or stay with a diesel, but all depends on the equipment/ work space you have available. As for bucket, never had to look for one but the mount appears to be pretty unique. All things considered, the machine is perfect for around the yard. -stef
Try Old Forge power Pennsylvania has hundreds of used motors machines

Stvnk69

I just picked up a L455 that has a cracked cylinder head. I've seen people swap a gasoline engine of the same or similar HP in different machines but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Is that a thing or is the Kubota D1402 still the best route? Full disclosure I know nothing about the machine or diesel engines.

Secondly, what are bucket options? Mine does not have a bucket and a standard quick attachment is not the same size, are there other manufacturers that use the same size attachments?
I have a 454 that originally had a continental gas engine that I swapped out with the kubota 1402. The 455 is essentially the same machine. The diesel motor is far superior over the gas. I personally would not put a gas motor in replace of the diesel. The liquid cooled engines can be worked so much harder. That said if you only need a cylinder head to fix yours I have a 1402 core with a good head.
New Holland attachments were specific to the machine design of those years. You either need to find a new holland bucket for your machine or have one modified. There is also an adapter plate you can buy but there a bit pricey.