Just bought an LX665 with major issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

acarlo

I may have jumped in with both feet and gotten all wet. I just picked up an LX665 it has 2200 hours. It was supposed to have been rebuilt 600 hrs before that. The engine is locked up, I started checking prices and WOW, they are proud of NH parts $2000 for a crank? I am hoping it may be an oil pump main bearings and some machine work, but I'm a little gunshy at this point. Would I be better to part this out or is there a better way to go. The machine overall is in good shape. Thanks for all the help

Chip S

I guess that depends on what you have in it. If it were mine, I would probably tilt the cab and pull the motor for disassembly , see what the problem is, then work from there. If I recall, I've seen replacement motors, used and rebuilts, starting at around $2500. The real question is, if you've never seen it run, is the condition of the hydros. That's the expensive part.

skidsteer.ca

I guess that depends on what you have in it. If it were mine, I would probably tilt the cab and pull the motor for disassembly , see what the problem is, then work from there. If I recall, I've seen replacement motors, used and rebuilts, starting at around $2500. The real question is, if you've never seen it run, is the condition of the hydros. That's the expensive part.
Kubotas have been swapped into these machines too.
This fellow found a new engine somewhere for his
You can try him here
kiermizuik at rogers.com At = @ of course.
Tell him I sent ya, He owes me a favour anyway.
Ken

OP
OP
A

acarlo

Kubotas have been swapped into these machines too.
This fellow found a new engine somewhere for his
You can try him here
kiermizuik at rogers.com At = @ of course.
Tell him I sent ya, He owes me a favour anyway.
Ken
Thanks for the reply. I pulled the engine and it must have gotten water on the head. There is a piece pressed into the exaust chamber that must have broken up and cracked the piston. Talking to the NH dealer that part is not available so a new head will be needed,along with piston and rod. Now for the search.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the engine and it must have gotten water on the head. There is a piece pressed into the exaust chamber that must have broken up and cracked the piston. Talking to the NH dealer that part is not available so a new head will be needed,along with piston and rod. Now for the search.
This guy had a motor he was parting out a while back,
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=21480
He had a head, I was lookin at to turbo my 160 and though about the swap until I found out I needed different pistons to.
I had emailed him to, have to see if i still have it around.
Ken

Chip S

I've found the NH dealer about the worst place for for engine parts. Unless the head casting is broken, I would go talk to a real good machine shop instead. I believe that's an N844 made by Shibaura for NH.

skidsteer.ca

I've found the NH dealer about the worst place for for engine parts. Unless the head casting is broken, I would go talk to a real good machine shop instead. I believe that's an N844 made by Shibaura for NH.
His # is 901-233-9571
Jeremy. Zip code is 38011.
This was from back in Jan so it may be long gone
Ken

Earthwerks Unlimited

His # is 901-233-9571
Jeremy. Zip code is 38011.
This was from back in Jan so it may be long gone
Ken
I don't know about repowering with a Kubota--the model before it came with an optional 'bota.
www.Surpluscity.com has new engines that may work--call them as the web site may not list everything they have.
Also, my NH TC33D has what appears to be the same engine as my buddy's LX665. His is much quieter though.

skidsteer.ca

I don't know about repowering with a Kubota--the model before it came with an optional 'bota.
www.Surpluscity.com has new engines that may work--call them as the web site may not list everything they have.
Also, my NH TC33D has what appears to be the same engine as my buddy's LX665. His is much quieter though.
"I don't know about repowering with a Kubota--the model before it came with an optional 'bota."
Its not a direct bolt in by any means. The bell housing and flywheel can be ordered the same and will bolt up.
But motor mounts, exhaust, air filters, throttle linkage, fan location, details would have to be worked out. I talk to a guy online that had done it. Ask him for some pics and details but, never heard back on it.
Ken

OP
OP
A

acarlo

"I don't know about repowering with a Kubota--the model before it came with an optional 'bota."
Its not a direct bolt in by any means. The bell housing and flywheel can be ordered the same and will bolt up.
But motor mounts, exhaust, air filters, throttle linkage, fan location, details would have to be worked out. I talk to a guy online that had done it. Ask him for some pics and details but, never heard back on it.
Ken
I want to thank everyone for the great idea's. I found a low hour engine that threw a rod. I'll be able to get the parts I need and only have to go to the dealer for gaskets. Thanks again and good luck.

Tazza

Staff member
I want to thank everyone for the great idea's. I found a low hour engine that threw a rod. I'll be able to get the parts I need and only have to go to the dealer for gaskets. Thanks again and good luck.
Great find! will save you a heap too.
Let us know how it goes.

tsquareonline

I have an lx665 with the motor torn down. I bought a burnt machine and used the motor was still good so I bolted the motor in my machine. Now I have a torn down motor with parts available. Ive already had the block sleeved and bored back to standard. Let me know if you need any parts. Trent 573.268.0605

OP
OP
A

acarlo

I have an lx665 with the motor torn down. I bought a burnt machine and used the motor was still good so I bolted the motor in my machine. Now I have a torn down motor with parts available. Ive already had the block sleeved and bored back to standard. Let me know if you need any parts. Trent 573.268.0605
Got it back together and am having problems bleeding fuel and starting. I am going to recheck valve adjustment to make sure I didn't mess that up. Stop solenoid is good and fuel is being delivered to pump. Any idea's

Tazza

Staff member
Got it back together and am having problems bleeding fuel and starting. I am going to recheck valve adjustment to make sure I didn't mess that up. Stop solenoid is good and fuel is being delivered to pump. Any idea's
Some diesel engines are total pigs to bleed. Kubota is dead simple, yet others require a set sequence to bleed them or you get the air out of one line, and you bleed the next and it puts air in the one you just bled! Its just insane. I know a guy with a case that did that, drove him crazy.

skidsteer.ca

Some diesel engines are total pigs to bleed. Kubota is dead simple, yet others require a set sequence to bleed them or you get the air out of one line, and you bleed the next and it puts air in the one you just bled! Its just insane. I know a guy with a case that did that, drove him crazy.
Did you loosen injector lines and turn it over some. Mines been great, but only fuel filter changes so far.
Ken

OP
OP
A

acarlo

Did you loosen injector lines and turn it over some. Mines been great, but only fuel filter changes so far.
Ken
It is alive !!!!! Clogged fuel cap not allowing it to bypass cleaned cap, fixed some split rubber hoses readjusted valves and there you have it. Thanks to all for your help

ryan05

I may have jumped in with both feet and gotten all wet. I just picked up an LX665 it has 2200 hours. It was supposed to have been rebuilt 600 hrs before that. The engine is locked up, I started checking prices and WOW, they are proud of NH parts $2000 for a crank? I a hoping it may be an oil pump main bearings and some machine work, but I'm a little gunshy at this point. Would I be better to part this out or is there a better way to go. The machine overall is in good shape. Thanks for all the help
No I just rebuilt mine they have the rebuild kit online full rebuild kit for like $700 and I seen the cranks for around $300 or $400 on ebay or Amazon. Where I ordered mine.

ryan05

I may have jumped in with both feet and gotten all wet. I just picked up an LX665 it has 2200 hours. It was supposed to have been rebuilt 600 hrs before that. The engine is locked up, I started checking prices and WOW, they are proud of NH parts $2000 for a crank? I am hoping it may be an oil pump main bearings and some machine work, but I'm a little gunshy at this point. Would I be better to part this out or is there a better way to go. The machine overall is in good shape. Thanks for all the help
Hi bud I just bought one with blown engine. I ordered the full rebuild kit on Amazon or ebay for 600. But it's not hard to rebuild. Mine runs like new now. It's the pivot pins for the arms I can't find. Have you checked the bell housing mounting plate may have jammed up. Bolts tend to fall out on that part. And if u decide to part it out let me know please. Thanks

ryan05

Hi bud I just bought one with blown engine. I ordered the full rebuild kit on Amazon or ebay for 600. But it's not hard to rebuild. Mine runs like new now. It's the pivot pins for the arms I can't find. Have you checked the bell housing mounting plate may have jammed up. Bolts tend to fall out on that part. And if u decide to part it out let me know please. Thanks
Sorry didn't see that last one had gone though