JD 250 Boom Lock Problem. Please Help.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BSLAP

Hi everyone. I have a 1999 John Deere 250 Skid Steer. Just recently the boom has locked. The left foot control seems to be locked and will not move. I have allso noticed that the left hand control will not move left to right. Has anyone else had this problem? I have checked my operating manual and it maybe there is no power to the solenoid. I have no idea where the solenoid even is. I have tried every thing I can think of to unlock the boom but have had no luck. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction to find the solenoid that works the left controls? Thanks in advance.

skidsteer.ca

The solenoids ore on the main hydraulic valve located between your feet under the floor cover.. Look for wires going into the valve. They attach to the safety lock solenoids that prevent accidental movement of the loader boom while getting in or out. These need power to unlock the spools so the valve can be used. Its a safety device so don't defeat it without regard for your life.
More info available here if you have a high speed connection.
K

dozer

The solenoids ore on the main hydraulic valve located between your feet under the floor cover.. Look for wires going into the valve. They attach to the safety lock solenoids that prevent accidental movement of the loader boom while getting in or out. These need power to unlock the spools so the valve can be used. Its a safety device so don't defeat it without regard for your life.
More info available here if you have a high speed connection.
K
Same thing happened to my 2003 JD 250.
Here is where to begin. Like ca. said
Lift the cab. Between your legs there is going to be a series of three solenoids on the floor.
- Get or buy a Multimeter and set for DC current. Taking one connector off at a time check for power. Once you find the solenoid cables that are positive/positive instead of positive/negative you have found your culprit.
- Luckily the solenoids come off pretty easy. To check to see if that is the failed solenoid attach one wire to a ground and one to the battery. Then touch each wire to a post in the solenoid. If it clicks your solenoid is fine. If it doesn't it needs to be replaced.
- Now the bad news. Since your machine was manf. before 2004 as was mine. You did not have a jumper in between your solenoids and your main control unit. It is possible that your whole control unit is fried and will need to be replaced. Mine did. To see you will have to remove the control unit and smell it at the back of it next to the control unit where it plugs in. If it smells burnt. Well its burnt. If it doesn't you may be OK with just replacing the solenoid. If it is burnt when you get the new MCU it will have a jumper in it.
-Cost $550 for main control unit
- $160 for solenoid
I found all this out by trial and error. I am not a mechanic and at times I did have to hire help to work out the kinks. On a side note I would reccommend hiring have a John Deere dealership to install the electrical parts since if they fail they will cover the cost of the parts and can get new ones.
If you buy the parts and find out you didn't need them. You still get them. Ask the guy who bought me JD about his extra solenoid. :)
Also as a last resort. Maybe just check the fuse panel and make sure all you fuses are good. It can't hurt to be lucky once in awhile.
Good Luck and let me know if I can help
Dozer

jerry

Same thing happened to my 2003 JD 250.
Here is where to begin. Like ca. said
Lift the cab. Between your legs there is going to be a series of three solenoids on the floor.
- Get or buy a Multimeter and set for DC current. Taking one connector off at a time check for power. Once you find the solenoid cables that are positive/positive instead of positive/negative you have found your culprit.
- Luckily the solenoids come off pretty easy. To check to see if that is the failed solenoid attach one wire to a ground and one to the battery. Then touch each wire to a post in the solenoid. If it clicks your solenoid is fine. If it doesn't it needs to be replaced.
- Now the bad news. Since your machine was manf. before 2004 as was mine. You did not have a jumper in between your solenoids and your main control unit. It is possible that your whole control unit is fried and will need to be replaced. Mine did. To see you will have to remove the control unit and smell it at the back of it next to the control unit where it plugs in. If it smells burnt. Well its burnt. If it doesn't you may be OK with just replacing the solenoid. If it is burnt when you get the new MCU it will have a jumper in it.
-Cost $550 for main control unit
- $160 for solenoid
I found all this out by trial and error. I am not a mechanic and at times I did have to hire help to work out the kinks. On a side note I would reccommend hiring have a John Deere dealership to install the electrical parts since if they fail they will cover the cost of the parts and can get new ones.
If you buy the parts and find out you didn't need them. You still get them. Ask the guy who bought me JD about his extra solenoid. :)
Also as a last resort. Maybe just check the fuse panel and make sure all you fuses are good. It can't hurt to be lucky once in awhile.
Good Luck and let me know if I can help
Dozer
check the under the seat switch if you have one and the seat belt switch these two are the ones that have to make contact for the solenoids to operate.

OP
OP
B

BSLAP

check the under the seat switch if you have one and the seat belt switch these two are the ones that have to make contact for the solenoids to operate.
This is really good info guys. Hopefully I can get around to checking the solenoids in the next few days. Thanks. I will let you know how I make out.

OP
OP
B

BSLAP

This is really good info guys. Hopefully I can get around to checking the solenoids in the next few days. Thanks. I will let you know how I make out.
Well I checked the solenoids today with a wire and they all seemed to click. When the machine is turned is running I try to tilt the bucket with the left foot peddle but it wont tilt. It hydrolics sound kind of week. Maybe there is a problem there?

OP
OP
B

BSLAP

Well I checked the solenoids today with a wire and they all seemed to click. When the machine is turned is running I try to tilt the bucket with the left foot peddle but it wont tilt. It hydrolics sound kind of week. Maybe there is a problem there?
Sorry disregard the last post above this one. What I meant to say is... Well I checked the solenoids today with a wire and they all seemed to click. When the machine is running I try to tilt the bucket with the right foot peddle but it wont tilt. The hydraulics sound kind of weak. Maybe there is a problem there?

jerry

Sorry disregard the last post above this one. What I meant to say is... Well I checked the solenoids today with a wire and they all seemed to click. When the machine is running I try to tilt the bucket with the right foot peddle but it wont tilt. The hydraulics sound kind of weak. Maybe there is a problem there?
You said in the first post that the left lever would not move left or right? Is that your aux hyd control? The pedals are the opposite of Bobcat aren't they? Left for tilt and right for boom so maybe you have trouble with the auxillary system or it is stuck in constant flow.

jerry

You said in the first post that the left lever would not move left or right? Is that your aux hyd control? The pedals are the opposite of Bobcat aren't they? Left for tilt and right for boom so maybe you have trouble with the auxillary system or it is stuck in constant flow.
I should have added, put a loop hose from one coupler to the other and see if that helps at all.

OP
OP
B

BSLAP

I should have added, put a loop hose from one coupler to the other and see if that helps at all.
Yesterday I had a few guys come over and have a look. We noticed that there is 2 grounds coming off the battery and 1 of the grounds had broke away from a bolt that is located on the side next to the rad. We reconnected the ground. I allso noticed that the accessories fuse keeps blowing. This is a 25 amp fuse. I am still scratching my head trying to figure this thing out. I have allmost broke down and going to take the machine into a shop.

OP
OP
B

BSLAP

Yesterday I had a few guys come over and have a look. We noticed that there is 2 grounds coming off the battery and 1 of the grounds had broke away from a bolt that is located on the side next to the rad. We reconnected the ground. I allso noticed that the accessories fuse keeps blowing. This is a 25 amp fuse. I am still scratching my head trying to figure this thing out. I have allmost broke down and going to take the machine into a shop.
Well. I figured it out. Thank god. It was a crossed wire in the wire harness that connect to the solenoid. Thank you everyone who posted here and helped me out.

skidsteer.ca

Well. I figured it out. Thank god. It was a crossed wire in the wire harness that connect to the solenoid. Thank you everyone who posted here and helped me out.
Now are'nt glad you didn't pay 60 plus a hour for a shop to find that for ya!
Ken

Latest posts