JD 250 blowing ignition fuse

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hammerman07

New guy to the site! Last week i went to start my JD 250 skidsteer and instantly the ignition fuse blew. I looked over the wiring behind the upper cluster to find 2 wires to the ignition had got hot. thought because of the rain we had been having maybe moisture was the problem. i found this site and a few threads that were close to my problem but none exact so after much research and a post i read here i disconected as many connections i could. put a new fuse in and started plugging things back in. found that the wiring to the first (front)relay of the 3 relays was my problem. tried to find wiring diagram but every time i tried a link to download one it wanted to download a bunch of other crap with it so i called a couple dealers to find out what the wires went to. Godfroy brothers in JonesVille MI was willing to help me out over the phone. tech told me it was wiring to the fuel cut off solinoid. he told me to try unpluging the temp sensor by the upper radiatior hose on the top of the engine and try to start it. And away it went! started right up! Dont know exactly what the temp sensor has to do with starting it but it will be a lot cheaper fix than originaly thought. Just wanted to post my problem in case someone else has the same problem and needs a few ideas on how to find a solution to their situation. thanks to this site and the tech at Godfroy Bros. in Jonesville MI. for gettting me back up and running without emptying my wallet!!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
That is some pretty good service, shame every dealer isn't like that.
It's odd that disconnecting the sensor did it. i would have suspected the fuel solenoid was shorted to be blowing the fuse.

Wingit

Had the same exact problem. Two melted wires on ignition. Trouble shot down to the first relay. Called deere dealer they had no clue. Got on the web read your post and solved the problem!!! Thank you for posting. I would still be trying to track it down. Must be some overheat protection circuitry. Not sure why switch wires were hot but problem solved. Did you leave unhooked or did you replace the temp sensor? Thanks again for posting saved me some bucks!

Wisconsin Bob

New guy to the site! Last week i went to start my JD 250 skidsteer and instantly the ignition fuse blew. I looked over the wiring behind the upper cluster to find 2 wires to the ignition had got hot. thought because of the rain we had been having maybe moisture was the problem. i found this site and a few threads that were close to my problem but none exact so after much research and a post i read here i disconected as many connections i could. put a new fuse in and started plugging things back in. found that the wiring to the first (front)relay of the 3 relays was my problem. tried to find wiring diagram but every time i tried a link to download one it wanted to download a bunch of other crap with it so i called a couple dealers to find out what the wires went to. Godfroy brothers in JonesVille MI was willing to help me out over the phone. tech told me it was wiring to the fuel cut off solinoid. he told me to try unpluging the temp sensor by the upper radiatior hose on the top of the engine and try to start it. And away it went! started right up! Dont know exactly what the temp sensor has to do with starting it but it will be a lot cheaper fix than originaly thought. Just wanted to post my problem in case someone else has the same problem and needs a few ideas on how to find a solution to their situation. thanks to this site and the tech at Godfroy Bros. in Jonesville MI. for gettting me back up and running without emptying my wallet!!!!!
Hi, hammerman07.
I was so relieved to read your post as my JD 250 yeaar 2000 or thereabouts was stalled in my yard with the empty boom and cab up. I had used it for a large stump removal with no problems. While on my hawler trailer I noticed oil dripping from below the cab. OH POO! I raised the cab and found a bolt had vibrated loose an was on the skid plat with some hydro oil. I started on Monday and just finished up today with my wife helping me lift the cab, etc. Today is Friday so it has been a long week. I found your post last night because after replacing the bolt, my machine was dead, no dash lights or power anywhere, even after cleaning battery terminals and ground connections. I had finally found a blown ignition fuse burried in the cab wall. Today I followed your suggestions from Godfroy Brothers and I had dash lights and my Sid Steer fired right up.
I had to reconnect the temp sensor and blew another fuse, a total of 4 fuses were used so I left the sensor disconnected. and parked my machine. I do not have a working fuel gauge, or ammmeter, or temp gauge, but it is running fine. I have a call into my dealer who is 50 miles away and a repair man but no reply yet.
Thanks for your great POST and help, and a thanks to all who replied to your POST!!!!
Wisconsin Bob

fromtheforty

Had the same exact problem. Two melted wires on ignition. Trouble shot down to the first relay. Called deere dealer they had no clue. Got on the web read your post and solved the problem!!! Thank you for posting. I would still be trying to track it down. Must be some overheat protection circuitry. Not sure why switch wires were hot but problem solved. Did you leave unhooked or did you replace the temp sensor? Thanks again for posting saved me some bucks!
I can't freakin' believe it. I didn't have any melted wires so I dismissed your post. But sure enough, that was it on mine also. Thanks for posting. You saved me $100 bucks in transport fees not to mention labor at $100/hr. I too would like to know if you replaced it or just let it go. Geoff

hammerman have same issue fuse bloing i replaced the fuel solenoid cut off hooked everything back up instantly blu fuse i disconnected temp sensor havent tried starting yet three leads 2 on solenoid does the third on go to ground ? the info you posted is a blessing

MikeS

I have the same thing. Blew the fuse, unplugged the temp sensor on the block end of the upper radiator hose, and it starts just fine now. Is the actual fix to just replace the temp sensor or does disconnecting it just stop the problem but the problem lies elsewhere? Thank you.

foton

if there is only one hot wire going to the sensor then the sensor is the last thing on the circuit ,so yes just replace the sensor and you should be good to go. If there is two wires you need to take a look with a meter at the sensor and if both pins are at 0 or really ,really close to 0 ohms ,I would say it is bad. One would be a ground so it should read 0 ohms. hpoefully this will help.

Chris 8603

Hello guys, I don't have one of these machines but I'm curious if any of you have replaced your sensor and the problem didn't come back. Cause thar makes no sense what so ever. Those sensors just change ohms on the ground side of a gauge or computer to tell it what to read. It shouldn't cause a fuse to blow. Worked on auto's and machines all my life and that just doesn't make any sense common or otherwise???

Just being curious, thanks guys
Never to old to learn new tricks!!!

lavajazz

The same happened t
I had the same problem with my JD 250 Skidsteer. I successfully disconnected the wires going to the heat sensor and the machine ran for a few hours (not in high outdoor temps). When I left it outside overnight, I came out to start the machine and it once again shorted and the 15 AMP fuse blew. Since the sensor is already disconnected, how to I test the wires leading to the sensor - or replace them ? Really grateful for the forums response since it's much like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Chris 8603

Since you said you did see similar post, then you know several people on here have had this same issue with that fuse. Most all of them have to unhook there temp sensor to solve there issue. It makes absolutely no sense why a temp sensor would cause a short and blow a fuse. Just like several have concluded, it must be some sort of failsafe or engine protection. Some have replaced the sensor and had no issues and some have replaced it and the fuse continued to blow. Atleast you solved your issue and it was fairly simple

lavajazz

I had originally disconnected sensor that was on the engine end under the cab. Turns out that worked temporarily to restart the machine. The original problem was the heat sensor from the radiator to the engine, accessible from the back side of the machine. After testing it it proved to be the culprit. I had called the shop in Jonesville, Michigan and they explained to me the location of the sensor as well as giving me the part number. Extremely helpful employee. I've had this machine for 15 years, with only 800 Hours on it. It's the only problem I've ever encountered with the machine.