hydraulics not working, help please?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sedorbrian

I have an old m600 bobcat and the hydraulics are not working. I let it run for about a half an hour th try to warm up the fluid, but still nothing. Sometimes the cylinders will move a little tiny bit, but thats it. It has a fully mechanical hydraulic pump, no electrical. A few days ago, it was only moving a little, now, barely at all.

Tazza

Staff member
The pump may be worn out or it could be something stuck in your relief which will make it so you have no pressure. Does it have aux hydraulics? if so, ensure they are not stuck on, that will cause the same fault as you mention if its stuck on. It will also make it harder to start as it loads the pump/engine down.

jerry

You did check the oil level right? The hydraulic oil is in the chain cases and checked by the two small pipe plugs on the left side. Have you changed the filter lately? If it is a long time between changes I suppose condensation could collect and freeze and block the flow of oil since it is at the bottom of the system.

OP
OP
S

sedorbrian

You did check the oil level right? The hydraulic oil is in the chain cases and checked by the two small pipe plugs on the left side. Have you changed the filter lately? If it is a long time between changes I suppose condensation could collect and freeze and block the flow of oil since it is at the bottom of the system.
I just put some fluid in. I have no aux hydraulics, how do i tell if there is something stuck in the relief, and where is it, im kind of a newbie, actually 18 year old playing a 35 year olds game. It is also cold here and it stores outside, could the fluid be so slushy that its not giving pressure?

jerry

I just put some fluid in. I have no aux hydraulics, how do i tell if there is something stuck in the relief, and where is it, im kind of a newbie, actually 18 year old playing a 35 year olds game. It is also cold here and it stores outside, could the fluid be so slushy that its not giving pressure?
Put a good clean pan under the drain plug and take a couple quarts out and see what it looks like. If it looks a little funny warm it up to room temperature the water will settle right out. Are you using atf or motor oil for fluid? In my 610 I used atf with no trouble at all.

OP
OP
S

sedorbrian

Put a good clean pan under the drain plug and take a couple quarts out and see what it looks like. If it looks a little funny warm it up to room temperature the water will settle right out. Are you using atf or motor oil for fluid? In my 610 I used atf with no trouble at all.
Im using "tractor fluid" from advance auto, its hydraulic fluid for machines.

jerry

If that machine is like the 610 it has a pump mounted on the back side of the wisconsin engine, the pump is driven by a coupling with rubber in it make sure it is rotating the pump also.

jerry

If that machine is like the 610 it has a pump mounted on the back side of the wisconsin engine, the pump is driven by a coupling with rubber in it make sure it is rotating the pump also.
Check the linkage from the pedal to the valve also. if all is good up to the pump and the pump is turning and pumping oil it probably is something stuck in the valve.

OP
OP
S

sedorbrian

Check the linkage from the pedal to the valve also. if all is good up to the pump and the pump is turning and pumping oil it probably is something stuck in the valve.
If there is something stuck in the valve how do i get it out?

Tazza

Staff member
If there is something stuck in the valve how do i get it out?
If the relief is stuck, you simply remove the plug from the control block and clean it. Its just a plug with a spring and poppet so when oil reaches a set pressure the pressure against the spring is too much and the poppet moves back-wards allowing the excess pressure to bleed off to the low side of the system.
Does that make any sense? Essentially the poppet will hold the pressure to a limit, when the pressure goes up it is forced back. There could be something stuck between the poppet and its seat. If thats the case the oil is being pressurized by the pump but it can't build up in the system as its simply going through the relief and back to the tank. When you lift something you need more pressure, it can't hold this pressure as it will simply go through the less restrictive path.

OP
OP
S

sedorbrian

If the relief is stuck, you simply remove the plug from the control block and clean it. Its just a plug with a spring and poppet so when oil reaches a set pressure the pressure against the spring is too much and the poppet moves back-wards allowing the excess pressure to bleed off to the low side of the system.
Does that make any sense? Essentially the poppet will hold the pressure to a limit, when the pressure goes up it is forced back. There could be something stuck between the poppet and its seat. If thats the case the oil is being pressurized by the pump but it can't build up in the system as its simply going through the relief and back to the tank. When you lift something you need more pressure, it can't hold this pressure as it will simply go through the less restrictive path.
I checked what i believe to be the relief, (this is the rubber cap with the springed plate under it, correct?). If that is correct, it looks ok to me, it is clean and springing all the way. What can i do next? Like i said, a few days ago i could lift the bucket about a foot off the ground, now i cant lift it at all, though the cylinders will go in and out about a centimeter.

Tazza

Staff member
I checked what i believe to be the relief, (this is the rubber cap with the springed plate under it, correct?). If that is correct, it looks ok to me, it is clean and springing all the way. What can i do next? Like i said, a few days ago i could lift the bucket about a foot off the ground, now i cant lift it at all, though the cylinders will go in and out about a centimeter.
That does sound like it could be the relief, but it could also be a load check....
Usually the relief valves are sealed up, so you can't JUST pull the poppet out and check the spring, but there are a few different ones out there. Can you get a picture of the cntrol block? we may be able to help more with a picture is all. Then we can tell you if that is indeed the main relief.

OP
OP
S

sedorbrian

That does sound like it could be the relief, but it could also be a load check....
Usually the relief valves are sealed up, so you can't JUST pull the poppet out and check the spring, but there are a few different ones out there. Can you get a picture of the cntrol block? we may be able to help more with a picture is all. Then we can tell you if that is indeed the main relief.
Well there is one that has a "bolt" under the rubber cap that i unscrewed. This one is in the middle, the two on the ends are just rubber caps.

Tazza

Staff member
Well there is one that has a "bolt" under the rubber cap that i unscrewed. This one is in the middle, the two on the ends are just rubber caps.
The only rubber caps i can think of are boots to protect the spools, its really hard to know whithout seeing it.

OP
OP
S

sedorbrian

The only rubber caps i can think of are boots to protect the spools, its really hard to know whithout seeing it.
I should have a picture of it on here either tonight or tomorrow. Until then i want to clean the filter (until i get a new one). Is this located under the foot panels on the front of the machine?

OP
OP
S

sedorbrian

I should have a picture of it on here either tonight or tomorrow. Until then i want to clean the filter (until i get a new one). Is this located under the foot panels on the front of the machine?
I was fooling around with the bobcat today and noticed that the hydraulic was not as high as i thought it was, it is a little below the tubes under the seat. I had added some fluid a few days ago. So now there is MORE fluid in the machine than there was when the hydraulics WERE working...Why? is it possible that the hydraulics were just running off of a little bit of fluid that was already pressurized?

jerry

I was fooling around with the bobcat today and noticed that the hydraulic was not as high as i thought it was, it is a little below the tubes under the seat. I had added some fluid a few days ago. So now there is MORE fluid in the machine than there was when the hydraulics WERE working...Why? is it possible that the hydraulics were just running off of a little bit of fluid that was already pressurized?
Did you check the level by using the 1/8 pipe plugs on the left side chaincase toward the front? There are two, close together one is for high level and one for low. If nothing comes out the lower one add oil if oil comes out the upper one you have more than you need. If it comes out with a pretty good flow I would pull the drain plug and take out what is needed to bring it down to the upper one. But it would not hurt anything if there was excess oil in there anyway.

OP
OP
S

sedorbrian

Did you check the level by using the 1/8 pipe plugs on the left side chaincase toward the front? There are two, close together one is for high level and one for low. If nothing comes out the lower one add oil if oil comes out the upper one you have more than you need. If it comes out with a pretty good flow I would pull the drain plug and take out what is needed to bring it down to the upper one. But it would not hurt anything if there was excess oil in there anyway.
These plugs are toward the bottom of the case, correct?

jerry

These plugs are toward the bottom of the case, correct?
Actually no, mine was a 610 but they should be the same. The plugs are on the outside side of the left hand chain case about where the rear of the front tire is and up from the bottom of the case about 6-8 inches if I remember right. There are two about 3 inches or so apart, one a little higher than the other. Your oil filter should be the same as the 610 also, it is down under the machine in a metal tube about 5 inches in dia and maybe 10 inches long. Since it is down there it would be a great place for water to accumlate and freeze.