Hydraulic cylinders

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

robmints

Hi all. Where do you get your cylinders? I looked at Surplus Center, is that the best place? If I was building a grapple, what would be the best inexpensive cylinder? Where do I get the quick disconnects?

jerry

It depends on what you are going to do with the cylinder, if you are going to put full pressure and load on it both in and out you will want a cyl with screw in gland or gland nut threaded on the o.d. of the tube. Not a snap ring or tie rod cyl. On a grapple bucket it would not have much load when retracting so it would not have to be as heavy duty I think. Cheap cylinders are built cheap, I bought a snap ring one from Northern tool for my wood splitter and had tough wood so I cranked up the relief valve on the tractor and blew the seal on the piston. It only had a o ring and a backup for a seal. replaced the seal , stopped abusing it and it works o.k. but a good cyl would have had a better piston seal. Take a look at some commercially made grapples and use what ever they use.

triad

I have ordered cylinders from Northern Tool, they might have disconnects I'm not sure. I usually buy them from any place that makes up hoses.

Earthwerks Unlimited

I have ordered cylinders from Northern Tool, they might have disconnects I'm not sure. I usually buy them from any place that makes up hoses.
Prince Mfg. of hyraulic and cylinder fame used to sell online surplus pumps and cylinders cheap. I would stop in or call shops that repair, sell or dismantle hi-los (forklifts). I have been to some shops where they have row after row of cylinders of every size and length for about $25-$75 each. And just think what you could do with the telescoping central mast cylinder---a dump trailer perhaps--or extendable boom??? Hmmmm.

perry

Prince Mfg. of hyraulic and cylinder fame used to sell online surplus pumps and cylinders cheap. I would stop in or call shops that repair, sell or dismantle hi-los (forklifts). I have been to some shops where they have row after row of cylinders of every size and length for about $25-$75 each. And just think what you could do with the telescoping central mast cylinder---a dump trailer perhaps--or extendable boom??? Hmmmm.
Look on the net for 'baileys', they will send you a free catalog. Great prices......

Latest posts