How to test solenoid?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Curley

I have a 1999 75XT that has been great and running great. However, the last time I used it, it died and wouldn't start. It didn't sputter or anything. It just suddenly died. At the dealership, they suggested checking the feed pump first. It wasn't getting enough pressure, so I put on a new feed pump. I pulled all the fuel lines and none are blocked. I also used the primer to bleed the air, but I can't get diesel to come out of the lines when I crack them at the injectors. However, I have plenty fuel coming out of the filters and to the injection pump. I was told it might be the fuel shut-off solenoid. Is that the same thing as the solenoid valve that is on the top of the injection pump (part number A77753)? If so, is there a way to test it before spending $93 on a new one? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
You should be able to. I don't know what type it is, but the common one is external to the engine. When you turn the key and crank, it should pull in and pull a stop lever back. If its not doing this, you have a bad fuse, relay or solenoid.
They generally have 3 wires, ground, pull and hold. The pull coil should only be run for short amounts of time, it just pulls the plunger down, the hold coil holds it there. If you ground it, and apply 12v to the other two wires, one should make it snap back, the other holds it in place.

OP
OP
C

Curley

You should be able to. I don't know what type it is, but the common one is external to the engine. When you turn the key and crank, it should pull in and pull a stop lever back. If its not doing this, you have a bad fuse, relay or solenoid.
They generally have 3 wires, ground, pull and hold. The pull coil should only be run for short amounts of time, it just pulls the plunger down, the hold coil holds it there. If you ground it, and apply 12v to the other two wires, one should make it snap back, the other holds it in place.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check that out.