how to identify old bobcat melroes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

goodhors

I just acquired a very old bobcat melroe skid steer. It has a gas Wisconsin 4cyl engine. how do I identify it? Is there a model# or serial #? where would they be located?

HanSolo

On the 600 series there's a model and serial number plate on the chassis below the drivers seat. If that's missing, try posting some photos on this forum and we'll help you identify the model and year. You can also compare the look of your machine to images on the web. Google Bobcat image and there will be a slew of them. And try looking at used machines for sell on MachineryTrader.com and Iron Planet and see if yours matches. Those sites are arranged by model number so that will be very helpful.

Mikefromcny

On the 600 series there's a model and serial number plate on the chassis below the drivers seat. If that's missing, try posting some photos on this forum and we'll help you identify the model and year. You can also compare the look of your machine to images on the web. Google Bobcat image and there will be a slew of them. And try looking at used machines for sell on MachineryTrader.com and Iron Planet and see if yours matches. Those sites are arranged by model number so that will be very helpful.
Pictures are very helpful. The 500 came with a kohler K662, the 600 a wisconsin VF4D, and the 610/700 came with a wisconsin VH4D. But that only applies if it still has the originall engine.

OP
OP
G

goodhors

Pictures are very helpful. The 500 came with a kohler K662, the 600 a wisconsin VF4D, and the 610/700 came with a wisconsin VH4D. But that only applies if it still has the originall engine.
Thanks for the info. With paint stripper I was able to read the tag; it's a 600. I'm waiting on a second coat of stripper to be able to see the serial number. Will I need that for parts? Where is a good source for service/owners manuals? Moving compost last night I burst a hyd fitting or hose (haven't been able to find it yet) so, she don't go no more. I hate when I break my new toy.. thanks again for the help.

HanSolo

Thanks for the info. With paint stripper I was able to read the tag; it's a 600. I'm waiting on a second coat of stripper to be able to see the serial number. Will I need that for parts? Where is a good source for service/owners manuals? Moving compost last night I burst a hyd fitting or hose (haven't been able to find it yet) so, she don't go no more. I hate when I break my new toy.. thanks again for the help.
Some Bobcat models have variations through the serial number range and that appears to be the case for the 600. Here's your online resource for parts diagrams http://bobcatpartsonline.com/bobcat/ Note that it requires Internet Explorer with pop up blocker turned off. With that resource there's no real need for a Parts Manual (unless you like hard copy). Original and duplicate Service Manuals can be found on eBay. I like having one of those to go hand-in-hand with the machine. My M700 manual is more detailed than the 843 manual (oddly). You can also order those from Bobcat for a bit more $$$.

OP
OP
G

goodhors

Some Bobcat models have variations through the serial number range and that appears to be the case for the 600. Here's your online resource for parts diagrams http://bobcatpartsonline.com/bobcat/ Note that it requires Internet Explorer with pop up blocker turned off. With that resource there's no real need for a Parts Manual (unless you like hard copy). Original and duplicate Service Manuals can be found on eBay. I like having one of those to go hand-in-hand with the machine. My M700 manual is more detailed than the 843 manual (oddly). You can also order those from Bobcat for a bit more $$$.
Got a service manual ordered, in the mean time, is there a method for cleaning the hyd fluid out of/off the drive belt or is it toast? Any recommended products besides Dawn dish soap or brake cleaner?

OP
OP
G

goodhors

Got a service manual ordered, in the mean time, is there a method for cleaning the hyd fluid out of/off the drive belt or is it toast? Any recommended products besides Dawn dish soap or brake cleaner?
Still waiting on the service manual. Nobody here has any helpful hints for cleaning up the mess I have? Nobody here ever have a hyd line/fitting failure? The wife's worried I going to have a Super Fund site behind the shop when I done.

HanSolo

Still waiting on the service manual. Nobody here has any helpful hints for cleaning up the mess I have? Nobody here ever have a hyd line/fitting failure? The wife's worried I going to have a Super Fund site behind the shop when I done.
Not having repair experience with 600s I can't recommend a cleaning procedure for the drive belt but I wouldn't think that soaking it in a detergent solution for some hours and then rinsing well would degrade the material that much. Hydraulic lines are simple. Pulll the leaking hose and take it to a hose shop for reproduction. Always cap the open connections on the machine while the hose is off least dirt and moisture contanimates the system.

OP
OP
G

goodhors

Not having repair experience with 600s I can't recommend a cleaning procedure for the drive belt but I wouldn't think that soaking it in a detergent solution for some hours and then rinsing well would degrade the material that much. Hydraulic lines are simple. Pulll the leaking hose and take it to a hose shop for reproduction. Always cap the open connections on the machine while the hose is off least dirt and moisture contanimates the system.
after much degreasing ,scraping and disassembly I have found the hyd leak. Now all I need is to find a new piston assembly with roto swivel for the drive sheave. Any suggestions? Tips for reassembly?

Latest posts