How do i disengage wheels from engine in order to pull a bobcat machine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brdgbldr

How do I disengage a Bobcat machine to pull onto a tow truck
First off, it is a skid steer so dragging it up with a winch will not hurt it. (I had one guy put an old car hood under the machine to act like a sled).

If it is an older, manual control machine, you can try to push the levers in the direction you want to go while trying to move it. This opens up the valve and allows the fluid to move through the drive motors.

If neither of the above work, then you will need to disconnect the hoses to the drive motors. This is a last resort as you take a chance of getting debris in the motors while moving the machine.

thedassler

While the above information is useful, your actually not supposed to tell anyone that you need to tow your bobcat. As bobcat owners we want the rest of the skidsteer forum to think that our bobcats are indestructible and never bread down. It is better to lie and say it is one of the other brands. While this may not lead to getting any information from the forum that is useful as any helpful tips might not actually apply, it will keep any members who have other brands from thinking poorly about bobcat machines. In the meantime, I hope you had success towing your Gehl-Case-Kobota machine and can get it back to work quickly. Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

WVRoger

The machine will move if you disengage the parking break by energizing the solenoid holding the axels. Some folks experience either electrical problems, Weak solenoid or interlock issues and remove the piece of square stock attached from the solenoid to the axels. This totally disabled you parking break and is not recommended!

WVRoger

The machine will move if you disengage the parking break by energizing the solenoid holding the axels. Some folks experience either electrical problems, Weak solenoid or interlock issues and remove the piece of square stock attached from the solenoid to the axels. This totally disabled you parking break and is not recommended!

North Idaho Wolfman

Your making the automatic assumption that it has a parking brake that works as designed, some don't and the axles are controlled by solenoids some don't.

billyb

The machine will still not roll freely. It is hydrostatic drive and you will be fighting the hydraulics to turn the wheels without the engine running

cdmccul

Of the engine cranks over, and is a fully mechanical machine, just hold the key to crank the engine while putting the control levers in the desired direction of travel.

mrbb

OP hasn;t been back since making this post!
odds are they moved on maybe
but if not
Maybe they should start with sharing better info, like starting with what exact model this is, as there NOT all the same,
as they say,
The better info the OP gives,
the better info they get!

cdmccul

but if not
Maybe they should start with sharing better info, like starting with what exact model this is, as there NOT all the same,
as they say,
Hire a crane.

cdmccul

but if not
as they say,
As Red Green's best friend in the whole wide room, Edgar K. B. Montrose, would do, you carefully place your charges (of C4), and you'll move that machine in no time!

marko13

so I got my 743 stuck by getting too close to the edge of the bank I was laying some fill on.
It had rained a couple days ago so the dirt is a little too wet to get the traction required.
I'm going to try to tow it out with my 4x4 1/2 ton but is there anyway to disengage the wheels from the drive---I assume not without uncoupling hyd hoses.
in that case I'll need to get a second person to drive truck while I try to drive bobby up the hill

marko13

so I got my 743 stuck by getting too close to the edge of the bank I was laying some fill on.
It had rained a couple days ago so the dirt is a little too wet to get the traction required.
I'm going to try to tow it out with my 4x4 1/2 ton but is there anyway to disengage the wheels from the drive---I assume not without uncoupling hyd hoses.
in that case I'll need to get a second person to drive truck while I try to drive bobby up the hill

Attachments

• 20240404_114508.jpg
    20240404_114508.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 46

Old_853

yay trusty GMC saves the day again
You can also use the bucket as a winch to get unstuck as long as you can go forward and have a sturdy anchor. I've been thinking about mounting an electric winch on the back of mine somehow. Beef up the door and mount it in there or something. I loaded it one time with a come along on a tilt trailer (it was dead in the water). Need to figure out a better self recovery method.

marko13

winch on back would only work if you were pointing the right way. if truck hadn't worked, the next step was 100 ft of chain to nearest tree and come a long. not even sure that would have worked with the angle to the bank on which I was sitting.
I've always been tempted to put a big winch on the truck tho.
I was lucky to have a buddy who came by to drive the truck while I ran Bobby.

Gearclash

In a deal like that, always try to get yourself turned around so the back of the machine is up. A skid steer can go up a steep hill better in reverse than forward, and that is just off tractive effort alone. Then, moving in reverse, it is easy to use the bucket or forks in conjunction with the wheels to force yourself along. Using that method, I have many times gone places that a skid steer had absolutely no place going.

It is a universal rule I have found that a machine will climb a steep hill better with the heavy end up.

I had a situation where I couldn't get mine started not to long ago and I hooked my dodge 3500 diesel to it and pulled it across the yard in reverse the wheels were locked. Spun it around and it rolled forward with ease. I don't know why one direction was different than the other. It'll typically roll rather w the brake off.