Home built hydraulic winch

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ejt

I have a chance to buy a Ramsey RPH hydraulic winch, 8000 lb. rating, which was on a truck that is being retired from service. I'm wondering if anyone here has ever put together a winch attachment for a skid steer. I've got a Bobcat 763 with aux hydraulics, rated at 15 gpm and 3000 psi system relief at the quick couplers. Ramsey's spec sheet for the RPH 8000 calls for 2500 psi and 15 gpm. Any thoughts about compatibility based on these specs? The winch is already installed in a frame made of angle irons, so I was thinking that it could be bolted/welded onto a standard skid steer mounting plate, then I'd have to get the correct hoses and fabricate a protective steel mesh screen in case the cable breaks. If anyone has any experience with this kind of setup I'd appreciate their feedback. Thank you very much.

Tazza

Staff member
I can't see why it wouldn't work. You could install a relief valve to drop the poressure to 2,500.
What do you plan on using it for on a skid steer?
My only concern with mounting it to the quick attach plate is IF the rope was to break under load, there is a chance the rope will fly back into the cab and hit you. The chances are remote, but wire rope can fail.

OP
OP
E

ejt

I can't see why it wouldn't work. You could install a relief valve to drop the poressure to 2,500.
What do you plan on using it for on a skid steer?
My only concern with mounting it to the quick attach plate is IF the rope was to break under load, there is a chance the rope will fly back into the cab and hit you. The chances are remote, but wire rope can fail.
I need to pull felled timber out of low areas where it's not possible to drive the Bobcat. I can pull some of them out with a rope but using a winch will make the job a lot easier in many cases. A winch also comes in handy for a lot things. Absolutely, I worry about the cable breaking; I would fabricate a protective steel mesh screen which would be over the top of the quick attach plate. It would be the same type as pickup trucks use to protect the rear window from items in the bed.

Tazza

Staff member
I need to pull felled timber out of low areas where it's not possible to drive the Bobcat. I can pull some of them out with a rope but using a winch will make the job a lot easier in many cases. A winch also comes in handy for a lot things. Absolutely, I worry about the cable breaking; I would fabricate a protective steel mesh screen which would be over the top of the quick attach plate. It would be the same type as pickup trucks use to protect the rear window from items in the bed.
I get your point, it would be easier than using wire rope/chain and backing up to drag it out.
I see no reason why it wouldn't do the job, you may not even need the relief depending on what sort of load it will experience. Being hooked to a skid steer, you will loose traction before you get the full power out of the winch.

mark18mwm

My neighbor has a electric winch mounted on top of his skid steer ROPS. I see him using it to pull logs to the skid steer then he hauls them out with his forks. It looks like it works ok, I never watched to close or asked him, him and I don't get along so great and I just avoid him so I can't ask him anything about it's operation. I use my 600 as a skidder with 2 chokers on the back, but to pull whole trees like that but I have to cut a couple logs to put on the forks to keep the front end down. I would like a winch on mine also as you say you can't drive to all the trees/ logs and it can be a pain to get them. I like your idea with a hyd winch, my 600 don't have enough hydraulics for that. I only skid with mine in the winter, the trees skid easier on the snow.

OP
OP
E

ejt

My neighbor has a electric winch mounted on top of his skid steer ROPS. I see him using it to pull logs to the skid steer then he hauls them out with his forks. It looks like it works ok, I never watched to close or asked him, him and I don't get along so great and I just avoid him so I can't ask him anything about it's operation. I use my 600 as a skidder with 2 chokers on the back, but to pull whole trees like that but I have to cut a couple logs to put on the forks to keep the front end down. I would like a winch on mine also as you say you can't drive to all the trees/ logs and it can be a pain to get them. I like your idea with a hyd winch, my 600 don't have enough hydraulics for that. I only skid with mine in the winter, the trees skid easier on the snow.
I might put a relief valve on it anyway. Northern Tool has a ½" Prince for $60 that goes to 2500 psi. I work with some guys who are much better than I with hydraulics so I'll get a little guidance from them. Mark, interesting about your neighbor's decision to mount his winch on his roof. Don't necessarily agree with it; I like the idea of doing heavy pulling down low, using the Bobcat's center of gravity to my advantage. But, his way it's always ready to go, without it being a separate attachment.

mark18mwm

I might put a relief valve on it anyway. Northern Tool has a ½" Prince for $60 that goes to 2500 psi. I work with some guys who are much better than I with hydraulics so I'll get a little guidance from them. Mark, interesting about your neighbor's decision to mount his winch on his roof. Don't necessarily agree with it; I like the idea of doing heavy pulling down low, using the Bobcat's center of gravity to my advantage. But, his way it's always ready to go, without it being a separate attachment.
Yes, I think I would prefer it low also for stability. seems though there a couple benefits to a top winch, one you could pull from front or back easily and also the higher mount would help lift the log, keeping the butt from digging in. I don't know about his but if you used a electric winch, with the newer wireless remotes that could save a lot of work fro a one man job site. I myself, would like one mounted right on my forks backstop (maybe just above the quicktach on the back, out of the way for the forks). Then you could lift the boom to help raise the butt of the log and pull it right on the forks while you are pulling it. I wish I got along better with the guy, I'd like to ask a few questions about his set up, but that guy is way,way,way out to lunch. lol I do like your thinking though, sounds like a great plan.

OP
OP
E

ejt

Yes, I think I would prefer it low also for stability. seems though there a couple benefits to a top winch, one you could pull from front or back easily and also the higher mount would help lift the log, keeping the butt from digging in. I don't know about his but if you used a electric winch, with the newer wireless remotes that could save a lot of work fro a one man job site. I myself, would like one mounted right on my forks backstop (maybe just above the quicktach on the back, out of the way for the forks). Then you could lift the boom to help raise the butt of the log and pull it right on the forks while you are pulling it. I wish I got along better with the guy, I'd like to ask a few questions about his set up, but that guy is way,way,way out to lunch. lol I do like your thinking though, sounds like a great plan.
I do like the idea of having the winch mounted right on a pallet fork attachment. I've been looking to buy a set of forks anyway. If I put it on the forks, it would pull the log right onto them as you've suggested, and also would save me a little barn space by having two attachments in one. If I mounted the winch correctly it shouldn't cause any clearance problems when using the forks to haul pallets with materials stacked on them either. Great idea!

jerry

I do like the idea of having the winch mounted right on a pallet fork attachment. I've been looking to buy a set of forks anyway. If I put it on the forks, it would pull the log right onto them as you've suggested, and also would save me a little barn space by having two attachments in one. If I mounted the winch correctly it shouldn't cause any clearance problems when using the forks to haul pallets with materials stacked on them either. Great idea!
this is a interesting idea all right and one I could use. If you do use electric pay close attention to the line speed as I have one on the trailer the is very slow but I think most under $100 are slow. Pictures would be nice too.

OP
OP
E

ejt

this is a interesting idea all right and one I could use. If you do use electric pay close attention to the line speed as I have one on the trailer the is very slow but I think most under $100 are slow. Pictures would be nice too.
So I did buy the winch. It's a little dirty and greasy but it should clean up nicely. The clutch seemed to work OK, and the cable is a little beat up, but I might wind up replacing it with something longer anyway. It came from a rolloff truck so I imagine it had a lot of short intense usage throughout its life. If I mount it to a quick attach plate with its current mounting setup the cable will be making a 90 against the fairlead rollers which is not good, so I'll have to fabricate some sort of angle iron mount so it will sit flat perpendicular to the plate. And I'll have to make a protective screen for the top of the quick attach. Hope to get that all done this summer.

farmshop

So I did buy the winch. It's a little dirty and greasy but it should clean up nicely. The clutch seemed to work OK, and the cable is a little beat up, but I might wind up replacing it with something longer anyway. It came from a rolloff truck so I imagine it had a lot of short intense usage throughout its life. If I mount it to a quick attach plate with its current mounting setup the cable will be making a 90 against the fairlead rollers which is not good, so I'll have to fabricate some sort of angle iron mount so it will sit flat perpendicular to the plate. And I'll have to make a protective screen for the top of the quick attach. Hope to get that all done this summer.
We were thinking of something similar only with a bigger winch and a trailer to use with tractors. Yull have to keep us posted on progress

terracefarmer

We were thinking of something similar only with a bigger winch and a trailer to use with tractors. Yull have to keep us posted on progress
Not sure if you did the project or not, but I'd put a second valve on or near the winch, that way you can run it from the ground and not have to climb into the seat to run it, would save a lot of climbing on and off to hook and unhook the cable, just a suggestion.

mmsllc

Not sure if you did the project or not, but I'd put a second valve on or near the winch, that way you can run it from the ground and not have to climb into the seat to run it, would save a lot of climbing on and off to hook and unhook the cable, just a suggestion.
I would second the idea of having another valve / button added to the outside of the machine. That would alleviate a lot of climbing in & out of the cab just to push a button. I think that would speed up the hooking up & releasing the cable much faster with less frustration & stress.

OP
OP
E

ejt

I would second the idea of having another valve / button added to the outside of the machine. That would alleviate a lot of climbing in & out of the cab just to push a button. I think that would speed up the hooking up & releasing the cable much faster with less frustration & stress.
The winch attachment is almost done. I got a Titan attachment plate and a friend of mine who is an expert welder fabbed it with a nice, super heavy duty protective screen out of expanded metal. Another friend made up hoses for me which I haven't installed yet, so it remains untested. I do think that I'm going to stick with controls in the cab only, to take advantage of the protective screen, but I can always add a second set later if I want. Hoping to get everything completed when the weather gets a little warmer. Busy building a house right now so the Bobcat project has taken a back seat. Some pix are on my web site, http://www.erlotom.com/763 Pictures Bob8 and Bob9 are of the winch. I'll keep you posted. Enjoy!

Tazza

Staff member
The winch attachment is almost done. I got a Titan attachment plate and a friend of mine who is an expert welder fabbed it with a nice, super heavy duty protective screen out of expanded metal. Another friend made up hoses for me which I haven't installed yet, so it remains untested. I do think that I'm going to stick with controls in the cab only, to take advantage of the protective screen, but I can always add a second set later if I want. Hoping to get everything completed when the weather gets a little warmer. Busy building a house right now so the Bobcat project has taken a back seat. Some pix are on my web site, http://www.erlotom.com/763 Pictures Bob8 and Bob9 are of the winch. I'll keep you posted. Enjoy!
That sure is a nice protective shield, nothing is getting past that.
Looking forward to getting a report of how it performs, when you get it all hooked up.

OP
OP
E

ejt

That sure is a nice protective shield, nothing is getting past that.
Looking forward to getting a report of how it performs, when you get it all hooked up.
The link to the pictures is a little confusing the way I posted it -- sorry. I'll put it at the very end of the post. You'll have to copy and paste into your browser URL. Again, pictures Bob8 and Bob9 are of the winch, the others are just some historic pix of the restoration job. Thanks.
http://www.erlotom.com/763