HEY! Any tips on replacing governor springs?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kyhamoge

Need to change a broken governor spring on my Bobcat S175. Anyone have any advice they would be willing to share? It looks fairly straight forward, but like everything else, I'm sure there are "tricks" to making this job easier & timely! As always, any help would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
K

kyhamoge

Do you have the new spring and the service manual?
I do have the new spring, but no service manual. I have a PARTS MANUAL for this machine, but of course, there are no step by step instructions on how to replace. Just wondering if there were any "tricks" to getting the spring(s) re-attached to the governor lever? I think a pair of angled needle-nose pliers may be the best tool for this.

Zorack

I do have the new spring, but no service manual. I have a PARTS MANUAL for this machine, but of course, there are no step by step instructions on how to replace. Just wondering if there were any "tricks" to getting the spring(s) re-attached to the governor lever? I think a pair of angled needle-nose pliers may be the best tool for this.
A printed S125 Service manual will do you a world of good,kyhamoge.....

rnbuck01

No doubt, you're right Zorcak. Know of any online sources? Thanks
Your gonna need to find a service manual. If you don't know what your doing, it can get costly if you don't know what your doing. If you drop that spring into the housing, you get to pull the injection pump out.

OP
OP
K

kyhamoge

Your gonna need to find a service manual. If you don't know what your doing, it can get costly if you don't know what your doing. If you drop that spring into the housing, you get to pull the injection pump out.
Job is complete...she "purrs like a kitten"! A PARTS MANUAL will suffice for most anyone attempting to replace a governor spring. I actually downloaded a SERVICE MANUAL for this machine...nearly 1000 pages of information, and nary a word about governor springs! I found that by attaching a "safety line" to both springs with some very thin gauge hobby wire, and "threading" through opening where the oil fill cover was removed, the springs could be guided into a postition where they could be easily attached to the governor lever...it worked quite well. p.s. My Bobcat dealer tried to discourage me as well, with the fear of "losing a spring down inside the housing". I figured if I can lose one, so can their mechanics - except he gets $100/hr. to retrieve it! :-O

Tazza

Staff member
Job is complete...she "purrs like a kitten"! A PARTS MANUAL will suffice for most anyone attempting to replace a governor spring. I actually downloaded a SERVICE MANUAL for this machine...nearly 1000 pages of information, and nary a word about governor springs! I found that by attaching a "safety line" to both springs with some very thin gauge hobby wire, and "threading" through opening where the oil fill cover was removed, the springs could be guided into a postition where they could be easily attached to the governor lever...it worked quite well. p.s. My Bobcat dealer tried to discourage me as well, with the fear of "losing a spring down inside the housing". I figured if I can lose one, so can their mechanics - except he gets $100/hr. to retrieve it! :-O
That's actually how i did it too, held one end with some old copper wire so it couldn't fall down. Glad it's all fixed without any issues.

Latest posts