Help with 753? questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DrEvil

HI guys. First question is this. I am trying to buy a bobcat. I thought it was a 743. I got the serial# and called Bobcat. They say that it is a 753 based on the # I provided which is very legible on the riveted data plate. When I look online at the engine that the 753 came with (Kubota 2203) It looks different https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jGwVPQipKYQnowRXhvMnd4ZUk/view?usp=sharing I couldn't figure out how to post pictures so I put it on my google drive. If you click the link it will show you the pics. I will get more tomorrow. Does anyone know what motor this is? Based on the engine do you think it is a 743 or 753? I am trying to order parts and a manual but do not want to get the wrong stuff. Second issue. It cranks, puffs whitish smoke but will not start. I am troubleshooting glow plug system tomorrow to see if I find any problems. My issue is that the bucket is down and I can not move it until I can get it running. Also there is no primer bulb like I am used to seeing. Is that common for this era unit? Thanks!

Bobcatdan

Can't see your link, but very easy to tell a 743 and 753 apart. The engine in a 743 sits long way like a rwd car. The engine sits sideways like a fwd car in a 753. The variable here is if the unit is actually a 751 with a Peugeot engine. 751 and 753 are basically the same machine, 751 were a value line version of a 753. I'd stay away from a Peugeot. Easy way to tell, a 753, the Kubota sits with the flywheel on the left side, Peugeot sit with the flywheel on the right side.

[email protected]

Can't see your link, but very easy to tell a 743 and 753 apart. The engine in a 743 sits long way like a rwd car. The engine sits sideways like a fwd car in a 753. The variable here is if the unit is actually a 751 with a Peugeot engine. 751 and 753 are basically the same machine, 751 were a value line version of a 753. I'd stay away from a Peugeot. Easy way to tell, a 753, the Kubota sits with the flywheel on the left side, Peugeot sit with the flywheel on the right side.
i never really understood the 751. i mean how much cheaper could it have been? i've heard the peugot engines are very very smooth though, no vibration.

reaperman

By the looks of the picture its not a 753, the engine is in the wrong way do you have any other pictures to post?

antfarmer2

Ok just looked at the pic do agree 743........look at the center of the hub if a big bolt it is a 743b 1702 engine
If your getting white smoke it is the glow plugs you turn the key to the left to glow mine did not work when I first got it just cleaned the connections and fired right up you will hear a click from the soliniod when you turn the key if not start there to check the plugs pull them out and put power to them should glow at least a 1/4" all the way to the tip if one is bad it can keep power from the others

antfarmer2

If your getting white smoke it is the glow plugs you turn the key to the left to glow mine did not work when I first got it just cleaned the connections and fired right up you will hear a click from the soliniod when you turn the key if not start there to check the plugs pull them out and put power to them should glow at least a 1/4" all the way to the tip if one is bad it can keep power from the others
You are missing the air cleaner cover

OP
OP
D

DrEvil

The primer ball should be to the right side reaching in all the way to the back hard to see
Thanks everyone. I will check out the glow plug system and see what I find. I traced the fuel line from the engine to the tank, It is a straight line with a small inline filter. No water separator (unless the is a small steel inline piece that looks like a filter). Definitely no primer. Strange that bobcat says 753 when the engine is not sideways... Again Thanks for helping me,

antfarmer2

Thanks everyone. I will check out the glow plug system and see what I find. I traced the fuel line from the engine to the tank, It is a straight line with a small inline filter. No water separator (unless the is a small steel inline piece that looks like a filter). Definitely no primer. Strange that bobcat says 753 when the engine is not sideways... Again Thanks for helping me,
It should have big fuel filter looking like a oil filter with a water seperator bowel on the bottom more pics would be great so we can figure out what you have and what has been done.......one of the first things you want to do is check and grease the ujoints if they go it can cost more than it's worth

antfarmer2

It should have big fuel filter looking like a oil filter with a water seperator bowel on the bottom more pics would be great so we can figure out what you have and what has been done.......one of the first things you want to do is check and grease the ujoints if they go it can cost more than it's worth
Don't jump up and down to much about the s# might have been changed and the cops will take it away from you

OP
OP
D

DrEvil

Don't jump up and down to much about the s# might have been changed and the cops will take it away from you
OK here is an update. I called bobcat back and explained the serial number confusion. The person I spoke to checked the serial# again and I they indicate it is a 743... So it seems I got bad info from bobcat on the first call. So I ended up buying the machine and it has a lot of blowby. From what I read the engine should be replaced with a 2203DI ? I am finding them on ebay for about 1500 bucks. Does this sound like the right direction? Thanks for the feedback!

antfarmer2

OK here is an update. I called bobcat back and explained the serial number confusion. The person I spoke to checked the serial# again and I they indicate it is a 743... So it seems I got bad info from bobcat on the first call. So I ended up buying the machine and it has a lot of blowby. From what I read the engine should be replaced with a 2203DI ? I am finding them on ebay for about 1500 bucks. Does this sound like the right direction? Thanks for the feedback!
That is what I am going to do but would just drive it for now if it still works and keep a eye on your oil I have one and may be able to help to sort things out

Tazza

Staff member
That is what I am going to do but would just drive it for now if it still works and keep a eye on your oil I have one and may be able to help to sort things out
Some blow-by is ok, if it runs well, just leave it alone. If the oil is an issue, get an oil catch can for it.
I have had a machine that had a lot of blow-by but ran very well.

farmshop

Some blow-by is ok, if it runs well, just leave it alone. If the oil is an issue, get an oil catch can for it.
I have had a machine that had a lot of blow-by but ran very well.
our first 743 we ran it to 10000+ hrs by the time we changed engines you had to use either to start it even when it was warm finally just left it run all day for the last few months till we put new motor in