Help with 743 bobcat engine swap

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

999patton

Hello I'm new to the form and have been reading alot of old posts but not really finding an answer to my problem.

So I have a 743 bobcat that had a kubota V1702 that threw a rod.... 3 big holes in the block it's trash. I was going to find
a block and do a rebuild but pulled the head and it's cracked... wasn't a big surprise after lots of reading seems pretty common
on the V1702.

I got a ford 1.6 fiesta engine and the 742 mounting plate from a buddy for free and found a flywheel from a older pinto or ?
not really sure. Bolts up fine to the crank with a .250 spacer and I got the fan that uses the dowel pins and that bolts on fine no problem.
The body has the holes for the mounting plate already in it. So I measured everything and the coupler lines up no problem.

The problem I'm stumped on is finding a starter. The one that is listed for a 742 will bolt on to the mounting plate but won't work with the ring gear.
So did bobcat use a different ring gear than what the car would use? The one I have is 11.250 OD and has 135 teeth
(I am a machinist so measurements are accurate),

Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

brdgbldr

Here is the link to the parts catalog:
You can try to look up the part number for the ring gear and see if you can find the specks for it online somewhere.

Also, Make sure you are looking at the correct parts for the Ford engine 742. Later models had the Mitsubishi engine.

OP
OP

999patton

brdgbldr Thanks for the reply.

I got the part number but can't find any specs for it.

The body and hydro and everything else on the 743 is the same as a 742 the only difference is the engine. The body has the holes punched for all of the different engine mounting plates. Same engine and mounting plates as a 642 only the 642 has a smaller pump and I think smaller axles not sure what else.
The 743 has a V1702 kubota engine and the 742 had either a 1.6 ford/kent industrial engine or a mitsubishi engine.

The flywheel and ring gear are no longer available. If I had the specs I could make the parts. Not a fun job on the bridegport but very doable.

Thanks
Dave

Scott Cee

Might be easier to use the Fiesta or Pinto starter and modify the mounting plate so it fits.

What are you doing for a governor?

OP
OP

999patton

I thought about that but not really sure that the car starter is heavy duty enough. it's gotta turn over the engine and the pumps. Keeping that as a last resort though.

I have a pierce/hoof governor not sure what it came off of or if the weights will be correct. Just had to mill another slot in the angle bracket... change the pulley size and make the linkage pieces. I don't think the particulars for it are all that important as long as it can be adjusted properly. But if I come across one off a 742 bobcat it will still bolt right on.

I'm trying to keep all the parts as bolt on bobcat parts. But the reality of it is you can't buy alot of the parts anyways unless you get used stuff. Which is also getting hard to find. Lucked out on the blower fan from all states ag for $110.

The price of a new governor is ridiculous considering what they are and the parts that go into them.

Thanks
Dave

jp8775

If the oil pan is good on your broken v1702 I would be interested in it. I may be interestred in the whole engine if the price is right. 612 327 3490.

Latest posts