Bobcat 743 with 26' Truss Boom

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mousebob

Has anyone tried using one of these booms from pallet forks/Titan on their 743? Is the machine heavy enough to lift trusses with this attachment or will it be too tippy?

Thanks in advance

laurencen

how heavy a truss? 26 foot out front Im thinking it will be tippy, if you know the capacity usung forks its basic maths, if you lift a concrete block 1600 pounds it tipps easily 26 foot out 100 pounds will likely tip it

Phil314

Lol, use 'basic math' in a sentence and you've already lost most people.

Laurencen is right on the money.
743 has a tip rating of 2600.
tip load is usually measured 18 inches from the attach plate.
so 26 ft / 1.5 = 17.333
and 2600 / 17.333 = 150 lbs tip rating @ 26 ft out.
Probably need to stay close to 100 lbs if you want to be able to move after you lift.

Your much better off using a shorter boom to lift vertical, then use the arms to get the extra height.
But it will still be tippy with any significant weight.
Larger machine would be the best way to go.

haymaker

When I lifted 30 foot trusses with my 743 I used an 8 foot boom on the end of my forks.
All I was trying to do was get them 10 feet high. It worked but I lifted them straight up.
My helper was on a scaffold, he pivoted them and steadied them in place while we attached them to the building.
I did not try to move while it was in the air. I was sitting on concrete, which helped. It was still pretty iffy.
If I had to do it over I would use a bigger machine. If I had to go higher or had more than a dozen I would rent a lift designed for the job.

oiu789

Set skid steer boom on ground attach the truss as low on the boom as possible gently roll the boom attached to the skid steer back. This should get the load closer to the machine and allow you to pick up more weight. Once you have it rolled back pick up the SS boom keep it as low possible so if it tips it will not go far and drive to where you need to be. Carefully raise it into place.

haymaker

The reality is physics simply will not let you do it if the trusses are too heavy for the machine or they have to be extended out too far.
It is nice to be able to use the machine you have, if you can safely do it.
Sometimes you just have to spend some money to get a job done right.

laurencen

if you have a 26 foot jib boom my advise is rent a larger track machine for a weekend, lots of info about machines nose diving and doubt you can react fast enough to counteract, if you insist doing it get some tractor weights and bolt then to the rear door to add capacity.

with the 743 we have moved concrete barriers 1700 pounds at middle of the forks, even a couple inches off the ground just stopping it liftts the rear wheels

Latest posts