Grapplers , Log & Bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

1ofU

i'm off work for a couple weeks so i'm going to try to complete both grapplers that i want to build , one is a log grappler it will be able to turn 90 % manual . the other is a bolt on for a 68 inch tooth bucket , later on if i ever need a full grappler /rock bucket i will build one then .
so far ive got it on paper on how i want to build them , the steel cut out but i needed a way to hang the log grappler to assemble it so i built a jib to hang it off of out of 4 inch pipe and a hand winch . the arm i'm using is the boom that i built last year the grappler will be able to be removed if needed and use the boom as needed or multi task ,,.
so the log grappler is just about finished i have about 10 hrs so far , all i have to do is mount the cylinder route the hoses and see how it works or what i need to change , the tooth bucket grapple should be alot easier to build and put together . will update with the finish grapplers
1of U
 photo DSC01566_zps1973691d.jpg

photo DSC01569_zps46b0c2fb.jpg

grapplers photo loggrappler1_zpsb05d633b.gif

Tazza

Staff member
Nice work, not a huge fan of the animated gifs, you just start to work out how one part works while looking, then it skips to the next...
I like the concept, what steel have you chosen? if its just mild, it may distort some when you get some load on it, but i'm sure you can make new tines at a later date if needed.
Did you cut them with a torch/plasma? I have a 35a plasma, it can only just cut 1/2" plate.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Nice work, not a huge fan of the animated gifs, you just start to work out how one part works while looking, then it skips to the next...
I like the concept, what steel have you chosen? if its just mild, it may distort some when you get some load on it, but i'm sure you can make new tines at a later date if needed.
Did you cut them with a torch/plasma? I have a 35a plasma, it can only just cut 1/2" plate.
I'm not a fan of gifs myself , it just saves megs 10-15 pics comes out to 2.5 megs , i may just start posting pics i wasnt sure how many you could post in a reply , anyway the steel not sure of we use it at work and comes in 8'X20' sheets . the plasma i use is a 60 amp ive cut 1 inch
but mostly 1/4 to 3/4 is the norm i use it for . the grapples are crossed braced i think if i ever tweek them it would take more than a bobcat can lift . i may try to lighten it up a bit it's all 1/2 steel will see when i do some picks .
I'll update with just some pictures
Jess

Tazza

Staff member
I'm not a fan of gifs myself , it just saves megs 10-15 pics comes out to 2.5 megs , i may just start posting pics i wasnt sure how many you could post in a reply , anyway the steel not sure of we use it at work and comes in 8'X20' sheets . the plasma i use is a 60 amp ive cut 1 inch
but mostly 1/4 to 3/4 is the norm i use it for . the grapples are crossed braced i think if i ever tweek them it would take more than a bobcat can lift . i may try to lighten it up a bit it's all 1/2 steel will see when i do some picks .
I'll update with just some pictures
Jess
60 amp.... That would be oh so nice to have a plasma that big. I cut the small stuff with the plasma, the larger i use a torch. It's rare i need to cut larger stuff, i recently had to cut either 15 or 20 mm, the torch did a great job.

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

60 amp.... That would be oh so nice to have a plasma that big. I cut the small stuff with the plasma, the larger i use a torch. It's rare i need to cut larger stuff, i recently had to cut either 15 or 20 mm, the torch did a great job.
the log grappler for the most part is done !!! here is some pics of the finished grappler
had to shorten the graplers by 6 inches , and do some other mods to get it all to come together , so it opens up to 28 inches . i did a couple of test lift this afternoon , 6 degree's
outside so i didnt spend too much time out , have to cut some wood tomorrow so i will be out in it all day .
to be able to drop it, it has to set about 20 inches off the ground to unhook and hook back up with ease so i used a old leaf spring from a jeep and a 4 inch pipe for the back support it will also support longer logs when lifting . i will run it and see what i need to change if anything
right now it seems to do very well . i will start on the bucket grapple in a day or two will do a follow up on that project .
Jess

photo DSC01609_zpsbd1f680a.jpg

photo DSC01610_zps56847864.jpg

photo DSC01613_zps51d42018.jpg

photo DSC01622_zps0517cd28.jpg

photo DSC01624_zps20204321.jpg

photo DSC01634_zps90784229.jpg

antfarmer2

the log grappler for the most part is done !!! here is some pics of the finished grappler
had to shorten the graplers by 6 inches , and do some other mods to get it all to come together , so it opens up to 28 inches . i did a couple of test lift this afternoon , 6 degree's
outside so i didnt spend too much time out , have to cut some wood tomorrow so i will be out in it all day .
to be able to drop it, it has to set about 20 inches off the ground to unhook and hook back up with ease so i used a old leaf spring from a jeep and a 4 inch pipe for the back support it will also support longer logs when lifting . i will run it and see what i need to change if anything
right now it seems to do very well . i will start on the bucket grapple in a day or two will do a follow up on that project .
Jess
Nice job great toy!!!!!!

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

Nice job great toy!!!!!!
today i was able to use the grappler for a couple of hours , it worked better than i thought it would of , was able to grab and pull some nice size tree tops today , i liked being able to hold a log up in the air and cut to size compared to on the ground , it will be a good attachment to have around for sure .now for the bucket grappler .
Jess
 photo DSC01648_zps4bdaed2a.jpg

photo DSC01641_zps334fb6e4.jpg

photo DSC01638_zps1160a66d.jpg

photo DSC01637_zps592d0c9a.jpg

dont know what it weighed but it was about 15 ft or so long
 photo DSC01643_zps6bcbe230.jpg

photo DSC01646_zps6727e451.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
today i was able to use the grappler for a couple of hours , it worked better than i thought it would of , was able to grab and pull some nice size tree tops today , i liked being able to hold a log up in the air and cut to size compared to on the ground , it will be a good attachment to have around for sure .now for the bucket grappler .
Jess

dont know what it weighed but it was about 15 ft or so long
That is some fine work, glad you got it running with minimal modifications. Not everything works first time, but it sure is nice when it does :)

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

That is some fine work, glad you got it running with minimal modifications. Not everything works first time, but it sure is nice when it does :)
started on the bolt on bucket grapple yesterday , if all goes well it should be done in a day or two will post some more pics when it's completed .
Jess
 photo DSC01652_zpsd9336620.jpg

photo DSC01653_zps47597573.jpg

photo DSC01655_zps810dbfb3.jpg

photo DSC01656_zpsa0eb35a4.jpg

OP
OP
1ofU

1ofU

started on the bolt on bucket grapple yesterday , if all goes well it should be done in a day or two will post some more pics when it's completed .
Jess
both grapplers are done !!!
both turned out very well , here is some pics of the bucket grapple .
Jess

photo DSC01664_zpsf863d249.jpg

photo DSC01662_zpsa30d6b81.jpg

photo DSC01668_zps162853c5.jpg

photo DSC01684_zps2f606421.jpg

photo DSC01666_zpsc11a51a6.jpg

photo DSC01685_zps518516f5.jpg