grapple jaw not holding in UP position

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

schreib

OK, I am another rookie here with a rookie question. I have not used this Notch tine grapple much but enough to notice that NOW it appears the top jaws(2) fall down(albeit slowly) when I have them opened to grasp stuff. I have to constantly watch them to be sure they are not going down when I am in the middle of grabbing a bunch of trees / brush etc because I can put them up and start into the brush and they fall down and I have to pop them open again. It is REALLY hard to even use the attachment when I want to have the grapple at a down angle because the jaws will drop faster then. I have to basically go into the brush with the thing LEVEL or else one of them will drop down and obstruct. Question: 1) Is this the fault of the Notch grapple unit (already a bad seal??, no leaks) or is it 2) more likely the hydraulics in my machine are allowing back flow and letting the jaws drop? Background: Brand new Notch tine grapple a year or so ago, used less than 50 hrs, OLDER ASV80 track loader with NO hydraulic leaks. Runs fine.

farmshop

I would think it's probably a seal in the auxiliary valve. If you unhook the hoses from the loader does the grapple stay open? You could try to switch ends on hoses and see if it creeps the other way

OP
OP
schreib

schreib

I would think it's probably a seal in the auxiliary valve. If you unhook the hoses from the loader does the grapple stay open? You could try to switch ends on hoses and see if it creeps the other way
by auxiliary valve I am guessing that is a valve ON the loader not on the grapple. It appears the grapple hydraulics are nothing more than a couple of cylinders, hoses, and couplers. . . about switching the ends, not seeing how it can creep the other way because the creeping occurs because gravity is pulling them down when the unit is tilted off-level. They won't creep UP against gravity. Anyway, can you provide detail about this auxiliary valve? Is it a check valve or a solenoid type that I can look for and troubleshoot?

farmshop

by auxiliary valve I am guessing that is a valve ON the loader not on the grapple. It appears the grapple hydraulics are nothing more than a couple of cylinders, hoses, and couplers. . . about switching the ends, not seeing how it can creep the other way because the creeping occurs because gravity is pulling them down when the unit is tilted off-level. They won't creep UP against gravity. Anyway, can you provide detail about this auxiliary valve? Is it a check valve or a solenoid type that I can look for and troubleshoot?
By valve I mean the valve on the loader that controls the grapple. If the valve on the loader is leaking by the seals changing the position of the hoses how they are hooked to the loader could cause the grapple to creep open. If you unhook the hoses with the grapple open it should stay open if not you have a cylinder problem

OP
OP
schreib

schreib

By valve I mean the valve on the loader that controls the grapple. If the valve on the loader is leaking by the seals changing the position of the hoses how they are hooked to the loader could cause the grapple to creep open. If you unhook the hoses with the grapple open it should stay open if not you have a cylinder problem
OK. the grapple creeps CLOSED, jaws close from an upper open to lower closed position. I guess if what you are saying is fluid is leaking by an operating valve it could cause the jaw to open(UP, against gravity) This does not happen. However, I get your main point and will look over the fluid diagram and find the valve(s). The fluid is not being "held" in place somehow. Finally, it appears I can quit blaming the Grapple manufacturer! thanks.

farmshop

OK. the grapple creeps CLOSED, jaws close from an upper open to lower closed position. I guess if what you are saying is fluid is leaking by an operating valve it could cause the jaw to open(UP, against gravity) This does not happen. However, I get your main point and will look over the fluid diagram and find the valve(s). The fluid is not being "held" in place somehow. Finally, it appears I can quit blaming the Grapple manufacturer! thanks.
Another way to test the valve on the loader would be to rig up a pressure guage to hook up to the ports where the grapple hooks up. If you run the machine with out trying to run the function that runs the grapple the pressure gauge should not climb if it does the valve is leaking fluid by the seals and will need to be replaced