Gehl 5625 creeps when cold

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hoping somebody has figured this out, must be common I see two for sale in the northeast that say creeps when cold then is fine. I have adjusted the neutral several times, if I go any amount in either direction it makes it creep that direction when cold. Once the temps are up she sits still all day long. Wicked pain when you are waiting for it to warm up. I just replaced all the pins/bushings in the propulsion control assemblies. Still creeps. She's tight with very little play. Let me know if you have any ideas. I'm thinking servo assist cylinder or worn out swash plate. Maybe something simple I'm overlooking Thank you

Blaine Man

If they put gear lube in the chain splash tank that might be the cause IF it only in cold weather. Pull the drain plug and let a little out to see what is in there. I just pulled my plates off to see about the 1/4" chain deflection. One side had Transmission fluid in.

OP
OP

If they put gear lube in the chain splash tank that might be the cause IF it only in cold weather. Pull the drain plug and let a little out to see what is in there. I just pulled my plates off to see about the 1/4" chain deflection. One side had Transmission fluid in.
Just adjusted again. If I go forward then to neutral the right side creeps forward until I give it a Bump backwards. If I go backwards then to neutral it will creep backwards til i Bump it forwards. Then it will sit still. There is very little play in the control linkage assembly and all new bushings. Not much more I can do. Blaine I don't think the chain drive oil would affect my ability to find neutral, but I do need to get in there and adjust/change oil. Did you get the planetary plug out?

foton

Just adjusted again. If I go forward then to neutral the right side creeps forward until I give it a Bump backwards. If I go backwards then to neutral it will creep backwards til i Bump it forwards. Then it will sit still. There is very little play in the control linkage assembly and all new bushings. Not much more I can do. Blaine I don't think the chain drive oil would affect my ability to find neutral, but I do need to get in there and adjust/change oil. Did you get the planetary plug out?
find the lowest viscosity oil that is meant to be used in that application. and try it , you would be surprised about what cold oil turbulence can do . this is a common problem in some skid steers with cold oil temps. on start-up.

Blaine Man

No I did not get the plug out. I need to get over and use my buddies Bridgeport to machine a bit. With the virus I do not want anybody else around. The chain splash cavity does have a drain plug. Mine also had a magnet in the bottom. For the life of me I do not see how you can even get a hand in to measure the 1/4" slack for the rear chain. There is a whole 1 1/4" gap between the chain the inside of the cavity. I do need to button this up and get it back to the hunting property. Still to muddy out there to even move it around though. I just would like to get the garage space to get my International Scout back to civilization for some wrenching!

OP
OP

No I did not get the plug out. I need to get over and use my buddies Bridgeport to machine a bit. With the virus I do not want anybody else around. The chain splash cavity does have a drain plug. Mine also had a magnet in the bottom. For the life of me I do not see how you can even get a hand in to measure the 1/4" slack for the rear chain. There is a whole 1 1/4" gap between the chain the inside of the cavity. I do need to button this up and get it back to the hunting property. Still to muddy out there to even move it around though. I just would like to get the garage space to get my International Scout back to civilization for some wrenching!
Just did my chains. I know what you mean about being able to feel chain slack. I went somewhat tight. All my tensioner threads were messed up so I had to pull all the tensioner assemblies out and weld on new threaded rod. Talk about a quick job gone bad. She's all tight now and full of oil. One side was empty and required a weld on the seam. Should be good for a while I hope.

Blaine Man

Just did my chains. I know what you mean about being able to feel chain slack. I went somewhat tight. All my tensioner threads were messed up so I had to pull all the tensioner assemblies out and weld on new threaded rod. Talk about a quick job gone bad. She's all tight now and full of oil. One side was empty and required a weld on the seam. Should be good for a while I hope.
How did you get to see the rear chains? I know in mine there was also a magnetic block in the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP

How did you get to see the rear chains? I know in mine there was also a magnetic block in the bottom of the tank.
Square opening in between the tires. Reached in and felt the tension, tightened until I couldn't move the chain and then a little more cuz I couldn't do much with my arm bent in there. Felt that there was no oil. Added oil and it made a puddle overnight so I welded the seam that was leaking. Should be good. Getting 3 of the tensioners out was easy, the left front wouldn't come out, had to remove a bolt on the planetary to get it out.