gehl 4400 overcharging

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

earmuffs

has a ford motor and motorcraft alt. i dont see a regulator unless its under the seat. possibly internally regulated?

Tazza

Staff member
In modern alternators the regulator is internal, by modern i mean under say 30 years old. There usually is a plastic module on the back of the alternator, sometimes it even has the brushes built into it. This has the voltage reg inside it. They shouldn't be too expensive either. Just remember to ALWAYS remove a battery cable when welding on the machine or you risk blowing the reg.

OP
OP
E

earmuffs

In modern alternators the regulator is internal, by modern i mean under say 30 years old. There usually is a plastic module on the back of the alternator, sometimes it even has the brushes built into it. This has the voltage reg inside it. They shouldn't be too expensive either. Just remember to ALWAYS remove a battery cable when welding on the machine or you risk blowing the reg.
im certain this alt doesnt have an internal reg after looking thru some chilton manuals from the 70s. either it has a regulator thats hiding from me or someone put the wrong alt on it.

Tazza

Staff member
im certain this alt doesnt have an internal reg after looking thru some chilton manuals from the 70s. either it has a regulator thats hiding from me or someone put the wrong alt on it.
Its very possible someone swapped the alt out. Being that old, it could indeed have an external regulator.

OP
OP
E

earmuffs

Its very possible someone swapped the alt out. Being that old, it could indeed have an external regulator.
i put a gm alternator on it.took care of that but the other problem is you need to run half choke for it to run good, idles fine. l cleaned the carb 3 times, poked it out, blew it with air, same still. is it possibly in the ignition? points look good. condenser? it was getting 18 volts for a bit.

skidsteer.ca

i put a gm alternator on it.took care of that but the other problem is you need to run half choke for it to run good, idles fine. l cleaned the carb 3 times, poked it out, blew it with air, same still. is it possibly in the ignition? points look good. condenser? it was getting 18 volts for a bit.
Could try a little sand paper on the point to see if it helps or not, a resitor is suposed to lower the volts to the coil to reduce arcing, hard to say what the voltage was during the problem.
Though if the choke helps I'm still leaning towards fuel, low float bowl level, plugged idle circuit, vaccum leak or ??
Ken