Gehl 3935 brake problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Vikes79

Hello all

I have a Gehl 3935 that overall has been a good machine but lately I've been chasing electrical gremlins.

A year ago I lost power to the entire cab panel at times and narrowed it down to the chassis harness-ROPs main connector. Cleaned, reset, greased and sealed that connector.

A month ago, the brake circuit worked intermittently and finally stopped working. No power to the cab panel switch. Removed the instrument panel and found a pulled out spade connector on the delay timer. I cleaned dielectric greased tightened and reinstalled the connector.

Brake circuit worked fine till today while I was brush cutting…

The switch is fully powered in the lock position (red), when you switch it to the release position (green) the machine works fine for about 5 mins or so, and will lock up the brake on and off every 20 seconds or so causing all kinds of jerks etc . Leave the machine run in with the sticks in neutral, and the switch in the release position, you can see the green light drop out every 20s or so. Bump it to the lock side, and the switch is solid red, no blinking.

Let the machine idle in park for a few minutes, release the brake, and you can move the machine for a few minutes, and then the same issue pops up again. Same thing when you shut the machine all the way down.

Am I crazy for thinking the timer might be failing?

I don't believe the solenoid is the problem as it would simply not release if it failed.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
V

Vikes79

I replaced the timer with a simple 12v relay vs jumpering it. White to black wire (ground), yellow to signal wire (red 12A wire), red to unlabeled red (12v supply) , black relay out to red 13 wire ( 12v to brake switch) .

Gonna clean the wires up but looks like a simple, cheap replacement to the timer.

I decided this route as it looks from the wire schematics that jumpering would allow the brake circuit to by pass the seat and arm bar, which isn't safe for younger operators or my older father whom isn't so familiar with skid loaders.

image.jpg

Firefighter

Not sure on wire colors but usually the red & the black that are beside each other are 12v & the ground, they can remain disconnected & the 2 that lay flat need bugged together to make the brakes release, that would do the same thing as the relay, effectively bypassing the timer

OP
OP
V

Vikes79

So to follow up on the fix, in addition to replacing the timer as it was faulty, the brake solenoid itself was also failing. The coil was failing and wouldn't always hold open the circuit.

Had to tilt the cab ect in the woods when the solenoid finally fully failed.

The parts from Gehl were insanely marked up…they are simply hydra force valves and coils i came to learn.

While I had the instrument dash still apart, I replaced all of the circuit breakers with upgraded sealed ones, and secured any other suspect wires.

Put a new valve on and solenoid from Amazon, not one single problem since.