engine change Kubota 2203 into 763

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

carl johansson

So I am putting a used 2203 from a refridgerator trunk into my 763. Everything matched up - except: fuel system - the bobcat engine has some sort of cap the fits onto the right side of the block - and a cam looks like it drives a simple fuel pump that pumps through the filters. The pump bolts into the side of the block - with the cam driving the pump. But on the refridgeration unit - that mounting place is just cast over - it has the same shape - but it's cast over. aND THE FUEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT - SO CAN WE USE THIS BLOCK - TAP OUT 2 HOLES FOR THE MOUNT AND DRILL INTO THE BLOCK FOR THE OPENING FOR THE FUEL PUMP drive to reach the cam coming in from the back? anyone run into this before? give us some help? Carl Johansson

Tazza

Staff member
Do you happen to have any pictures at all?
As far as I'm aware, the internals will be the same. The lift pump drives off the injector cam, i see no reason why drilling the block will not expose the cam for the pump. You mention fuel management, what do you class as that? these engines as far as i was aware have none, just the throttle and governor setup.
Are you planning on re-conditioning it? or just a straight swap with the running engine? Surly the engine has its own fuel system now, is there any way you can plumb it as it is now to run? I just don't know how it gets its fuel pressure without the lift pump. Worst case you could install an electric fuel pump.

OP
OP
C

carl johansson

Do you happen to have any pictures at all?
As far as I'm aware, the internals will be the same. The lift pump drives off the injector cam, i see no reason why drilling the block will not expose the cam for the pump. You mention fuel management, what do you class as that? these engines as far as i was aware have none, just the throttle and governor setup.
Are you planning on re-conditioning it? or just a straight swap with the running engine? Surly the engine has its own fuel system now, is there any way you can plumb it as it is now to run? I just don't know how it gets its fuel pressure without the lift pump. Worst case you could install an electric fuel pump.
well we learned alot today. The internals of the fuel pump setup use different cams - so you have to drill and tap the block very precisely, and hope the swapped out cams go into place properly - no you canot use the existing fuel setup it has an electronic governor - some sort of servo setup - a different auxillary pump set up. none of that is to good and besides it is huge - imagine a coffee can and 2 quart jars mounted onh the right side of the engine, thats all the crap for the carrier version fuel system!. In the mean time, it is a different head all together -- with the glow plugs and injectors swapping places. we have abandoned the swap - now looking into either rebuilt head - or rebuilt motor. To make along story short, a 2203 is not one engine - it has several different varients. The one for the carrier cooling systems - is not a good - or even useable option for reengining a bobcat - it can be done - but you would be into it 2 or 3 times as much as you would ever save! carl "ah crud - I though I had it figured out!" Johansson

Tazza

Staff member
well we learned alot today. The internals of the fuel pump setup use different cams - so you have to drill and tap the block very precisely, and hope the swapped out cams go into place properly - no you canot use the existing fuel setup it has an electronic governor - some sort of servo setup - a different auxillary pump set up. none of that is to good and besides it is huge - imagine a coffee can and 2 quart jars mounted onh the right side of the engine, thats all the crap for the carrier version fuel system!. In the mean time, it is a different head all together -- with the glow plugs and injectors swapping places. we have abandoned the swap - now looking into either rebuilt head - or rebuilt motor. To make along story short, a 2203 is not one engine - it has several different varients. The one for the carrier cooling systems - is not a good - or even useable option for reengining a bobcat - it can be done - but you would be into it 2 or 3 times as much as you would ever save! carl "ah crud - I though I had it figured out!" Johansson
ooh....
Well i guess its good to know, shame it wasn't a simple fix for you :(